Use Up the Pantry Challenge for September

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Use Up the Pantry Challenge for September

Post by Jackielou » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:59 am

While we will be gone for the upcoming week, I still need this challenge. Clearing out the meat freezer is taking a bit longer than I thought, and I need this to keep on doing so. Also everything is getting so much more expensive that in order to keep to my grocery/household/pet supply/papergoods budget I need to mindfully use things up.

If anyone cares to join in you are very welcome.

Dgflorida

Re: Use Up the Pantry Challenge for September

Post by Dgflorida » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:52 am

Joining the pantry challenge for September. Using things up from the freezer. Frozen fish last night. On sale beef rounds tonight and pot roast from the freezer tomorrow night.

ephofma

Post by ephofma » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:43 pm

I need to do this for September. August got really busy and got away from me. So far, I have used up 1 dozen eggs that really needed using and finished a package of pre-cooked bacon. I found 1 box and 3 bags of candy in a drawer in the refrigerator and 2 of the bags were donated and the rest will be donated Sunday. This is what happens when you don't look in the drawers of your refrigerator on a regular basis and then discover you have been putting groceries on top of groceries (better known as candy). Finally, used up a can of spinach that has been in pantry quite a while. Used a ton of spices to make it have taste. Used up a package of chicken last night and had enough chicken and spinach left over to make a homemade TV dinner. Just poured a bottle of lemon kitchen soap from an almost empty jar into a jar that was three-fourths full and now have an almost full bottle. Don't know why I had 2 bottles sitting up there. Thanks for this topic Jackielou!

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:09 am

Have a few things in the frig to use up. Got to get them on the meal plan quickly. Maybe tomorrow. Tonight is set with sausage and fresh cauliflower. Tomorrow, use up the beans and salsa sauce with beef. Use up the last 2 zucchini as well, tonight and tomorrow.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:57 pm

We managed to use up most of what I bought for our trip. What wasn't used at the cabin was used in sandwiches and such on the way home. Saved money not buying lunches, and saved travel time. Saving the travel time was the best part.

Now I get to spend time using up my freezers and pantry here at home. However, there is lots to harvest and process from the garden, so even though I am using up I will be replacing as well.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:53 am

I have used up the tomatoes my neighbour picked while we were gone. I made tomato sauce which now resides in the freezer.

Used up a package of frozen ham from the fridge freezer, used some more of the premade hamburger patties.

We finished off one jar of pickles and opened another (must remember to put pickles on the table more often).

Slow going on using up the meat freezer, but I will get it down for our stock up trip next month.