Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:44 pm fenced off garden.jpg

I can be done entirely more frugally than DH wants to do it. He's going to build raised beds - with 14" cedar plank framing, of course :roll: - , mulched walkways between, "good" dirt, a compost area, fence it all in (dog = not good for garden) and make it pretty, with arches for viney things to grow on.

We (by that I mean he) start all our plants from seed. Under grow lights. In the house. Which is okay, it's not like the whole 'starter' contraption is on the dining table or anything, its just... intense. He monitors soil temperature. Later the plants get 'hardened off" - after he goes to work I take them outside for a little while to experience ambient temperatures and breezes, then bring them inside again overnight. Dozens of little green pets ;) until they're strong enough to be transplanted. Then he puts water-filled "teepees" around the tomatoes so they don't get killed by frost.

Its like... Seriously, in the old days when these heirloom varieties were just 'tomatoes' farmers stuck the seeds in some damp soil on a sunny windowsill at MOST, honey, then just planted them. And clearly THAT worked out...

But engineers do not make for laissez-faire gardeners.

Its the first growing season in this location. So he's starting off 'right.'

As long as it results in a whole lot of vine-ripened tomatoes and maybe a few squash, I'm good to go. Cucumbers and zucchini we will have to give away (stuff I have limited use for, DD makes pickles and I put some zucchini in the freezer for soups and breads, but those 2 things are always prolific), but I'd be thrilled to have about a dozen or so butternut squash to cube up and freeze.

I went to a couple farmers market style stands last year for tomatoes... Huge disappointment. Flavorless mush. So, it's either let him garden project-style or go without decent tomatoes forever :?
Sandi if you are gluten free try using the zucchini in place of pasta. I use it for lasagna noodles and cube it and make "mac and cheese." Also if you have a spiralizer you can make them in to noodles for spaghetti. You do have to cook them for a while to make them less watery but you can find all kinds of recipes on line if you are interested. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

3 of 8.... 37.5%

Today will require gas & grocery purchases. But tomorrow should be good, and Thursday, too. So, there's hope. :lol:
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:44 pm fenced off garden.jpg

I can be done entirely more frugally than DH wants to do it. He's going to build raised beds - with 14" cedar plank framing, of course :roll: - , mulched walkways between, "good" dirt, a compost area, fence it all in (dog = not good for garden) and make it pretty, with arches for viney things to grow on.

We (by that I mean he) start all our plants from seed. Under grow lights. In the house. Which is okay, it's not like the whole 'starter' contraption is on the dining table or anything, its just... intense. He monitors soil temperature. Later the plants get 'hardened off" - after he goes to work I take them outside for a little while to experience ambient temperatures and breezes, then bring them inside again overnight. Dozens of little green pets ;) until they're strong enough to be transplanted. Then he puts water-filled "teepees" around the tomatoes so they don't get killed by frost.

Its like... Seriously, in the old days when these heirloom varieties were just 'tomatoes' farmers stuck the seeds in some damp soil on a sunny windowsill at MOST, honey, then just planted them. And clearly THAT worked out...

But engineers do not make for laissez-faire gardeners.

My goodness...wow...I see what you mean. My parent always just plunked seeds or plants into the ground and we ate like kings from the food they grew.

Its the first growing season in this location. So he's starting off 'right.'

As long as it results in a whole lot of vine-ripened tomatoes and maybe a few squash, I'm good to go. Cucumbers and zucchini we will have to give away (stuff I have limited use for, DD makes pickles and I put some zucchini in the freezer for soups and breads, but those 2 things are always prolific), but I'd be thrilled to have about a dozen or so butternut squash to cube up and freeze.

I went to a couple farmers market style stands last year for tomatoes... Huge disappointment. Flavorless mush. So, it's either let him garden project-style or go without decent tomatoes forever :?
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

My goodness...wow...I see what you mean. My parent always just plunked seeds or plants into the ground and we ate like kings from the food they grew.

Its the soil here - or rather, the clay. The first couple of years a great deal of effort goes into creating soil something can actually grow in.

I had a coworker back when I worked out of the house who lived closer to the Arkansas river area, low-lying, flood prone, lots of sod farms in the area, and WOW the quality of his soil. Totally unlike anything we've seen in the 4 places I've lived in NE Oklahoma with a garden-oriented person.

He could literally put seeds right into a mound of backyard dirt and just ignore it 'til harvest time. Boy I'm jealous, LOL, but not jealous of the need for flood insurance in that area or the # of times over the years it's actually flooded. :shock:
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Today is a no-spender, so I'm at 5 of 12.... 41.6% ?

I've decided spending health-related FSA funds doesn't count as spending. Its totally set aside just for medical care, and its used just for that.

Had to see 2 doctors...well, one PA and one doctor, this week. The PA (paid for this visit, urgent care) tried to naturalize me into curing oncoming pneumonia she thought was viral. Yeah, I know my viral reaction and my bacteria reaction, and this is totally bacterial. Yesterday a real doctor (free visit, DH's company has an on-site medical thing, weird hours but for better care I took time off my 'work') gave me appropriate meds and WOW just a day of the right stuff and a decent night of not hacking up a lung and I feel pretty dang good for the first time in 10 days. Not pushing it, know better than that, but it feels nice to be able to get most of a full breath.

DH gets home from another business thing tonight. That probably means at least a Lowe's trip this coming week :lol:
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Get well soon.