Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Post by Dgflorida »

I have an idea for you on the thermostat thing. Just an idea. If it is a big saving to let them control the thermostat, get a room ac and just retreat to that room if it is too hot and you are feeling poorly. Just an idea. Thanks for the explanation. I don't know if they offer such a plan here in Florida. I will check into it. Thanks again.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:54 am I have an idea for you on the thermostat thing. Just an idea. If it is a big saving to let them control the thermostat, get a room ac and just retreat to that room if it is too hot and you are feeling poorly. Just an idea. Thanks for the explanation. I don't know if they offer such a plan here in Florida. I will check into it. Thanks again.
I'm not sure the HOA would have gone for it. At least not on.... you know, the only place I could have put one without it being visible from the road and still be in a reasonably private 'shut off by doors' area would have been on one side of the master bedroom. Behind and just barely above DH's nightstand :lol:

Good thing we moved. The current power co. isn't pushing a thermostat and frankly even if they ever do, I'm a control freak, no one controls the thermostat but me ;) Okay, occasionally the man, if he's been outside working & roasting his backside off. The window in the master in this house is too big to house a normal window unit.

Have you ever priced one of those european style mini-split AC units? NUT$$. We just had the sunroom vented and added to the AC'd square footage two houses ago rather than deal with a separate split unit.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Today was a spend day. Asparagus, mixed greens, pecans. Making a salad.

I rained soooo much last night. The noise was relentless. I feel so bad for our neighbor, whoever installed his fence didn't take into account the likelihood of flooding from the greenbelt and his posts aren't footed properly. In short - his less than 2-yr old fence is leeeaning. It could have gone so far as to fall over, but he had them come out and put 2x4 braces out to hold it up. I'm sure his lawn mowing service is thrilled, they can't take their riding mower under OR around those, they're going to have to push mow and weed whack.

His lot is so close to the big concrete drainage thing for the greenbelt that they probably should have just declared it 'part of' the greenbelt and not sold it to build on, but noooo.... Now the city has guys out there at his behest every time it rains because their drainage thing.... doesn't. Drain. Well, it does, but it's entirely too slow for the amount of water we get in a bad storm and the berm that might have, 20 years ago, kept the water in the greenbelt instead of in his lot has eroded to the point that they should probably rebuild it. At least that might get him to stop calling.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I'm sad to say that June has been a bust.

I'm equally say to say I think I have burnout. Not on the job, but on the frugal. Actually it's not the frugal, it's what I can see ahead of us in costs (DD's final year of school, loads of prep work, she gets her 'real' driver's license later in the year, next year we'll need a 3rd vehicle so I can still get her brother places while DH is at work and she's in college classes). DS's last 4 years of school will be handled differently than his previous years, what he needs to feel motivated is different than what DD needs to feel motivated. It may also be that he's just growing so fast his body won't let his mind have any energy :lol:

I feel kind of like I'm putting out fires on one side of me and lighting new ones on the other side and its...

It's probably just the menopause :lol: because I also feel like I've been hit with an energy sapping truck. NOTHING has stayed the same (sure hasn't gotten any better, either). WHERE did the collagen GO? WHO said these wrinkles (I seriously went from zero to "hello, 50-something" when I smile, overnight, what the heck?!?) could appear?

<sigh>

Oh! Our 2pm - 7pm peak KWH rate is 22 cents today! Up from 10 cents Monday when it wasn't quite as putridly hot. Still, that's some CRAZY right there.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I guess I don't trust the rate thing exactly, but I agree the weather has been hot. Thanks for the cut and paste. Still whenever there is "huge" savings, I raise an eyebrow. Thanks for sharing the exact rate savings. That is good to know. Looks like you have a company with good PR. I have thought about it and I think the rate thing will not go over with hubs. He tolerates my frugal ways, but isn't a fan of them. Got to pick the battles.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:34 am I guess I don't trust the rate thing exactly, but I agree the weather has been hot. Thanks for the cut and paste. Still whenever there is "huge" savings, I raise an eyebrow. Thanks for sharing the exact rate savings. That is good to know. Looks like you have a company with good PR. I have thought about it and I think the rate thing will not go over with hubs. He tolerates my frugal ways, but isn't a fan of them. Got to pick the battles.
They called a "critical" time for between 4-6 p.m. tomorrow - 41 cents / KWH!! So most of the day is at 10 cents, from 2-4 at 22 cents, 4-6 at 41 cents, back to 22 cents 'til 7pm and then to the regular 10 cent rate.

My usage summary email came Tuesday and said I'm at $20 for the month so far and based on usage they project a $96 bill. Given that we finally got some Oklahoma-style summer heat going, I think $96 is a bargain, but I guess we'll see how it shakes out.

I'd never heard of them (Oklahoma Gas & Electric) before moving here last year and I've been in OK since 1992. I'd had PSO (Public Service Company of Oklahoma) for years, then a city-run thing for a while (small city in a county outside Tulsa County), back to PSO just 5 miles from here, and now this. They're my electric company, but not my gas company. How weird is that? Oklahoma Natural Gas has always been my gas company, in every location (6 houses & 2 apartments since '92). So where, exactly, they'd be anyone's gas company is a mystery to me. Not moving again, so I doubt I'll ever find out :lol:

I sometimes wonder about the energy use monitor mentioned herein:
https://www.frugalwoods.com/2015/09/04/ ... ous-money/

But, then, I know our big user in the summer is the air conditioner and.... I can't plug this thing into that.