Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Post by Jackielou » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:12 am

SandiSAHM wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:31 pm
For whatever reason, just the kindness of his heart or an over-abundance of his brand of empathy (my husband believes everyone feels as he feels... I'll get to that), DH wants to invite a guy who works for him to dinner this Thanksgiving. I believe it's because he feels sorry for the guy, who is single and very very far from home (he's from the Northern part of India).

I have no problem with single guys, people from India, or inviting anyone over, and fun enough the guy is vegetarian so YAY, right, I don't have to worry about not having a fully rounded meal for a conventional eater.

His dietary restrictions vary from what I'm used to. Nothing spicy. I don't even know what to do with that (another Indian guy DH works with thinks my carrot curry soup reminds him of home, THAT I can deal with, but that soup will open your sinuses, it's not something I can feed potential guest). Nut restrictions (my gravy is made with cashews), not a lot of dairy (a little milk is okay... not a lot. Buttermilk? and butter? Is that okay? Per DH "I'm not sure."

The guy sounds super nice, and suuuuper-smart, and while I haven't met him yet the general impression is he might be this >< close to being on the spectrum (Asperger's?) when it comes to the ability to speak about entirely complex code freely, but not be able to hold a more 'typical' conversation.

Help? Menu suggestions? I was trying to de-spice dessert and thought of a "cream pie," but DH says that Indians don't do sweet on the US level of sweet (if you've ever had a mango lassi, it's creamy, kind of close to a mango favor, but totally not 'sweet' so I guess that explains that...).

So I figure if we have this guest... tofurky, maybe roasted potatoes (I'll make mashed for the kids), sweet potatoes with a little less maple syrup...a salad? and...

I'm stumped for some reason. I don't know how to cook without garlic and spice. GF? no problem. Vegetarian or even vegan? No problem. Keto? I'm learning. Start messing with FLAVOR, though, and I choke.

On DH's belief that everyone feels as he does.... I'm an introvert. DH is the definition of EXTROVERT. It took a looong time for him to figure out that not everyone has to be, or is even comfortable being, in the middle of a crowd all the time. I think he's projecting a little, thinking this fellow is suffering some misery on his own over the 4-day weekend. IMO it's a little like thinking I'd be sad on my own if I lived in India and was home alone during some Indian national celebration. It's more likely I'd be totally comfortable alone chilling out with Netflix, emailing friends, calling home, eating whatever I'm comfy with, and catching up on my sleep.

I realize I could be totally wrong, so I figure I better figure out how to cook MILD, non-lactose intense low sweetness level fair reeeeally quick; and a full meal of it at that. I'm in over my head!
Could you just cut down on the spices a bit? I mean if something calls for a tablespoon use two teaspoons instead kind of thing.

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:28 pm

I guess I'm going to have to make everything as bland as I can - which should suit DS, my super taster, because he might actually eat more variety. But it'll be boring for the rest of us :lol:

I can't even imagine being from India, having all those amazing spices around and NOT being able to use them :shock: He's been to several doctors and hasn't gotten much help. I told DH to suggest my gastroenterologist, but apparently he's burned out on docs.

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:28 pm

I have acquired 3 different kinds of vegetarian 'festive' / holiday loaves. All 3 have gluten, so I won't be eating them. I'm going to go over their ingredients to determine which will be the mildest flavor. Most likely the one that has no sort of 'stuffing,' but we'll see.

DH and I bought DS's bday gift. The $ was mighty. It's our own fault for getting the kid into some hobbies that are not for the feint of wallet. He's a pretty decent photographer / videographer, and wanted newer tech. So that's the last of the $$$ spending for the year, thank goodness.

I have half a mind to put us on a variation of beans and rice 'til the end of March, at least. We'll have to buy a 3rd (safe, reliable) car in 2020.

Children are waaay more expensive when they're teens. I know some folks get a break when they get out of needing daycare, but we haven't had daycare since 2003 so this whole $ thing is much worse now that one's almost in college and the other thinks he's the next David Attenborough's lead wildlife photographer.

Ah well. DH says when they've flown the coop we'll miss them. Probably. Makes me have chest pain to think of it.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:59 pm

Good luck with the meal. I agree, kids are expensive. I do miss my kids now that they are grown.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:08 pm

SandiSAHM wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:28 pm
I have acquired 3 different kinds of vegetarian 'festive' / holiday loaves. All 3 have gluten, so I won't be eating them. I'm going to go over their ingredients to determine which will be the mildest flavor. Most likely the one that has no sort of 'stuffing,' but we'll see.

DH and I bought DS's bday gift. The $ was mighty. It's our own fault for getting the kid into some hobbies that are not for the feint of wallet. He's a pretty decent photographer / videographer, and wanted newer tech. So that's the last of the $$$ spending for the year, thank goodness.

I have half a mind to put us on a variation of beans and rice 'til the end of March, at least. We'll have to buy a 3rd (safe, reliable) car in 2020.

Children are waaay more expensive when they're teens. I know some folks get a break when they get out of needing daycare, but we haven't had daycare since 2003 so this whole $ thing is much worse now that one's almost in college and the other thinks he's the next David Attenborough's lead wildlife photographer.

Ah well. DH says when they've flown the coop we'll miss them. Probably. Makes me have chest pain to think of it.
You will miss them. But you know that they will always come home.

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:00 pm

Jackielou wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:08 pm
You will miss them. But you know that they will always come home.
I hear complaints from empty nesters that once the kids are married you hardly ever see them.

I saw my parents pretty routinely when I still lived in their town and was married. When I moved many states away - divorced / remarried / had kids - $$ for travel was waaay cut back. If my mother (who has no $ issues whatsoever) wants to see us, it's loads cheaper for her to come here than it is for all 4 of us to go there.
Last edited by SandiSAHM on Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.