Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 12:20 pm
We have sunshine!! It's supposed to be sunny all day, warm (80) and reeeeally humid. But no rain, thankfully.

I told DH to go find someone his own age when he was in pursuit, but time that could have been spent playing the field in his mid 20s he spent driving to my house to hang around. He grew on me :lol: Proved to be different from 99% of guys I'd dated (once married) before. Swore I'd never get married again, and here we are, creeping up on 20 years. He's got a little snow on the roof now, we look about 'even' in age. Outside of a few historical references that are more a function of where & how we were educated than of age, and his formerly questionable taste in music (that changed as he got older/wiser), misunderstandings are pretty rare.
I am happy for you that you made a good decision for the two of you. My guy use to say age is just a number and now I think he was right.. Enjoy your relationship sounds like a good one.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Happy for you. Congrats on creeping up on 20 years.

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:16 pm
Glad your DH has found a good plan of what he wants to do when he retires.It is wonderful to be able to contribute like he plans on doing. Also glad you will be able to stay in the A/C. I love being out in the country but love my A/C too...lol.
We have some friends whose kids are also friends - the parents are a bit older than our average age, the kids are a bit younger. The son married the nicest girl... I was talking with her last weekend... she's not from where I thought she was from (where they met), she's from a very deep southern state, one afflicted with the kind of heat and wretched humidity that, in any given July, I'm sure would kill me within 90 minutes.

She grew up without A/C. Not even a window unit. Never had it 'til she was in her mid 20s and married her husband.

This explains SO much. She's so heat tolerant (she actually LIKES it) I've been in awe every summer since I've known her. They do mission work from time to time in oppressive jungle-type places and live there with no A/C and I always thought, oh that poor dear girl... Nope! She loves it!

Which only further solidifies my belief that I'm a wuss. The only place I've ever lived that didn't have A/C was in parts of Europe... I think. I'm fuzzy on base housing at Nellis AFB back in the late 60s/early 70s. We might have had window units there.

OH! End of May. 12 of 31... 38.7%

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:16 pm
I am happy for you that you made a good decision for the two of you. My guy use to say age is just a number and now I think he was right.. Enjoy your relationship sounds like a good one.
We were laughing this morning because he forgot how old he is - he thought he was a year younger than he is; which is fine, but I had warned him about certain changes that come in your early to mid 40s and..... sure enough, right on schedule, he needs bifocals :lol:

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Dgflorida wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:13 am
Happy for you. Congrats on creeping up on 20 years.
They go really fast with someone you really have fun with.

I had half that with someone who was not a level-tempered individual and it seemed like for...ev...er...

Oh well, it's the bad that helps us appreciate the good :D

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:51 pm
We have some friends whose kids are also friends - the parents are a bit older than our average age, the kids are a bit younger. The son married the nicest girl... I was talking with her last weekend... she's not from where I thought she was from (where they met), she's from a very deep southern state, one afflicted with the kind of heat and wretched humidity that, in any given July, I'm sure would kill me within 90 minutes.

She grew up without A/C. Not even a window unit. Never had it 'til she was in her mid 20s and married her husband.

This explains SO much. She's so heat tolerant (she actually LIKES it) I've been in awe every summer since I've known her. They do mission work from time to time in oppressive jungle-type places and live there with no A/C and I always thought, oh that poor dear girl... Nope! She loves it!

Which only further solidifies my belief that I'm a wuss. The only place I've ever lived that didn't have A/C was in parts of Europe... I think. I'm fuzzy on base housing at Nellis AFB back in the late 60s/early 70s. We might have had window units there.

OH! End of May. 12 of 31... 38.7%
I grew up in the Midwest where it can be so hot and humid you feel like you are breathing under water. We did not have A/C and we lived.. Not always pleasant but we survived. Quite a while back people died in St. Louis, MO due to the heat at least 300 so you can live in an area and still not adapt. Some people just seem to have better thermostats and can tolerate heat better. I went To New Orleans a couple of years in a row in October. We were loving the cool weather since when we left St Louis is was still hot and muggy. We were running around in short sleeves and some of the residents actually had gloves and ear muffs on.lol
Janet Alliesmama