UGH - Saved Some, Tossed Some

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: UGH - Saved Some, Tossed Some

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:44 am I seem lately to be having to toss the final spoonful of soup or whatever. I need to figure out a way to use those up. Though I am doing so much better in this area.
Jackie I sometimes save a little dab of this or that in a container in my freezer and then make soup out of it.. It usually makes an amazing soup that is tasty but you will never be able to make it again but still it is good. My oldest niece went to school in Switzerland. She said once a week the school made what the kids called motorboat night soup. They threw all of the leftovers in to a blender and made soup out of it. She too said it turned out pretty good.
Janet Alliesmama
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Motorboat soup is such a cute name!

I had to toss some canned cherries, a few black olives, and a small amount of frozen spaghetti. I kept moving the olives and cherries around in the fridge, trying to tempt people to eat them, but it was a no go. DS had some trail mix that went stale. Not a good week.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

This morning I had to toss about 1/4 cup of pineapple tidbits that got forgotten in the back of the frige and half a bag of broccoli slaw that smelled just the slightest bit "not entirely right" - very discouraging but better than getting sick.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:35 am broccoli slaw that smelled just the slightest bit "not entirely right" - very discouraging but better than getting sick.
DH calls things like that "expensive compost" :lol:
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:01 pm DH calls things like that "expensive compost" :lol:
I wish I had chickens to give it to - but they're not permitted here. It really bothers me to toss food and I've been doing so good - so it is a bit discouraging to have blown it. My daughter was a trained chef with extensive training in safe food storage and handling and she said she wouldn't eat either the pineapple or the slaw - even if cooked.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Tossed a couple of cherry tomatoes that had dried right out. I also had to toss a hunk of hard cheese that was riddled with mold. So bad was it that one could not cut those portions out.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/