UGH - Saved Some, Tossed Some

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
BevMoore

Re: UGH - Saved Some, Tossed Some

Post by BevMoore »

I am the same way with avocados. I love to eat avocado but not the whole thing at once. If I only eat part of it it ends up turning brown in the refrigerator. And I cannot always tell when they are ripe for eating.

Bev
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

BevMoore wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:58 am I am the same way with avocados. I love to eat avocado but not the whole thing at once. If I only eat part of it it ends up turning brown in the refrigerator. And I cannot always tell when they are ripe for eating.

Bev
I agree that avocados are tricky - I do love them though! Fortunately, I can always eat a whole one at one time.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I agree. Celery is difficult to use up. I do freeze it, but I really don't use it after. It is just too warm here most of the time for soup. So I rarely buy it. When I do, I also buy a small tub of cream cheese to put in the center of it as a crunchy mid day snack. If I make it several days in a row, we usually finish it up.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I am going to have to toss some radishes. Fortunately, they just go into the compost, so it isn't quite as wasted. It looks like the last batch of onions are going to get used up. I already have some chopped and frozen for use later. But I prefer fresh when I have time. In the winter, I am inside more and have time. During warm weather, I am working outside and just too tired to come in and safely chop up onions. It also looks like I was able to save the green peppers that I got 2 for $1. In years past, I would have chopped and frozen some, but I am still adjusting to the new kitchen habits and didn't want to freeze anything I could use fresh. Lettuce doesn't seem to be a problem. It is an easy "go to" vegetable when I am feeling guilty that we are not eating enough vegetables. I am nervous about those special sale bags of vegetables. I might do green peppers and immediately chop and freeze them, but vegetables that must be used fresh. Nope. Sometimes meat gets ahead of me and that breaks my heart.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I don't like frozen onions. A couple of summers ago our onion crop from the garden was way more than we could have used. So I spent a day or two chopping, and slicing onions for the freezer..... I found that they get watery and really do not taste nice even cooked in stews or soups.

The same goes for green or red peppers. So I just find recipes (like spaghetti sauce) that will use them up.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I'm struggling with getting the amount of coffee I make in the morning "just right". I know, realistically, on work mornings that I'm only going to have time for ONE cup if I'm doing things the way I should be - that is getting up and exercising and getting something accomplished before work - rather than lounging in bed for an hour and a half after getting up.

So - as a result of making too much coffee several times, I have a big bag of frozen coffee cubes plus 2 jars of coffee in my freezer. I can take the jars to work and microwave the coffee for when I need a cup there. The cubes - I can toss one in baked goods or a smoothie here and there - but I really don't bake so much anymore and the weather is turning cold so don't want so many smoothies.

I need to reel this in and make less coffee!! If I need another cup once I get to work, I have a jar of instant coffee and some vegan creamer there - not my favorite but it does the trick.

How do you use leftover coffee or do you just dump it?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz