My 2020 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: My 2020 Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

BevMoore wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:34 am
Thank you Janet. I am going to give those a try. I was on My Points but when Yahoo locked me out of my e-mail for 18 months I could not access my account. Now that I have it back I will sign up again. However, this time I will use my g-mail address since that is now where I have all of my survey sites.

Bev
Glad you finally received it.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Since I am using my grocery money to pay for my air fryer/convection oven I have been rooting around in my freezer looking to see what I have. I do have a lot of chicken breast. Also found some pea pods. In the fridge I found fresh mushrooms and green onions so will be making one of my favorite Chinese dishes moo goo gai pan. Also will be making another pot of hot and sour soup. I may or may not nuke some frozen cauliflower rice to serve the moo goo gai pan over. I might save it to make a gluten free crust to make a small pizza for Saturday. I am trying to get back in to dinner and a movie night on Saturdays.

Teddi is eating chicken and rice and loves it. He does have enough to eat today but will have to poach more chicken and make another pot of rice to get him through the next several days.

I am out of store bought gluten free bread. If I can find the energy I am going to try to make some gf corn bread from a mix and/or gluten free blueberry muffins from a box mix. My toaster/convection oven only toasts on one side but I am hoping that the bake cycle will allow full baking.. I will just have to wait and see how things go. I love a challenge.. lol.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I did not accomplish all that I had planned on doing. I think a lot of times I over plan. I did not get my moo goo gai pan or hot and sour soup made but I think I will get my second wind this evening and make it tonight for tomorrow.

Breakfast was a nice bowl of oatmeal with raisins, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts.

Lunch was leftover chili with shredded cheese and chopped onion. Made a dessert of generic cool wipe with a little bit of mint extract and a few sugar free mini chocolate chips.

Mid afternoon snack was celery sticks with peanut butter.

Dinner was a big iceberg lettuce salad with added veggies like carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, and green onion. Also added some raw cashews and a little bit of shredded cheese for protein and a few sliced green olives. I was happily chopping away when I realized I was out of salad dressing.. Quickly rummaged through the fridge and made my version of a honey mustard salad dressing. It was ok but Martha Stewart will not be calling me for the recipe..lol. Need to make a decent, from a recipe salad dressing, tonight for tomorrow. I am not one of those cooks that can turn anything in to a tasty meal but I can usually follow a recipe.. Usually!! There have been some interesting times when I did not quite understand what the measurements were or did not read the instructions correctly...lol..

I did laundry which filled three drying racks of dish towels and dish cloths. Also washed lot of throws that I keep for using with Teddi. That filled two lines in the garage.

While Teddi was out doing his thing in the yard this afternoon I utilized the time to use my long handled clippers to trim the pear tree branch that is just high enough to strangle my neighbor lady on her riding lawn mower if for some reason she is not paying attention. Also trimmed a lot of wild grapevines that are strangling my peach trees. Amazing how quickly they migrate and attach themselves to other trees. I may or may not try to harvest the grapes to make grape jelly. They are too sour to eat fresh but I have heard they make great jelly. However they are very small about the size of my pinky nail. There are more green ones than ripe. I am going to check on line to see if they can be picked and frozen for later to make jelly. If I am able to pick the ripe ones and freeze them until I have enough to make batch of jelly I will do so.

It was a cool day but still a bit too hot outside in the sun at the time I trimmed the trees so will go out later on and pick up the debris and take it to my burn pile. I only can do about 10 to 15 min of work at a time with anything and then spend time resting in between. However you can get a lot done in that small time period.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Forgot to mention I am spending more time on my computer trying to earn extra money on the various sites that I go to. That is one of the reasons I ran out of time and energy. It is necessary to try to earn a few extra dollars if I am able.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I made a decision that since I am going to be more homebound than usual due to the pandemic I needed to try to make my environment more cozy and uplifting. It will be Fall, and then winter will be here before we know it, and I need to add some color to my house. Right now it is sort of blah with white walls and oak cabinets. The fireplace mantel is oak which is not my style. I would like to paint it white. The house was built by a single father, with a young son, without any kind of a woman's touch. When I moved here I did not have the energy, or the money, to do any kind of improvements however with my new aide helping so much I have more energy to do more interesting things to make my house more of a home and not just a house. Plus I have the stimulus money and my insurance company gave me money to have the ceiling in the great room repaired and painted. I have been looking for drapes for the great room and I finally found what I wanted. I first saw them online at Penney's. Their original cost would have been $680.00 but they went on sale for $508.00 but that was still too rich for my blood. However went online to see if an outlet might have them on sale at a cheaper price. I found them on Amazon. The total cost was $230.00 for 4 pair to cover all of the windows in the great room as well as the deck door in the breakfast room. Since the living room and dining room share one large room, and the breakfast room shares a half wall with the living room, everything had to be the same color and style. They are suppose to arrive on Saturday. I am really looking forward to putting them up. Phase I.

I am going to look in to painting the walls. They should be easy due to the design of the rooms and the openness. Only two walls, that are vaulted, might need a professional to come in to paint them but that can be done as time goes on and money is saved up. Looking forward to feathering my nest..
Janet Alliesmama

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Janet, you're inspiring me - from your "dinner and movie nights" (I need to get back into that too, I used to do homemade pizza and a movie on Friday nights) to you plans to make home more inviting - thanks!!