Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Post by SandiSAHM »

!!! guess who came home and handed me his credit card (we don't use cash)? DH!

Can't spend if you don't have that :)

Also decided he's going to start working from home 1-2 days a week and play the rest of it by ear. That'll be interesting.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wow. This will be interesting for you.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

It's okay. My office has doors, and I'm willing to shut them :lol:

I do kind of wonder about at which point I will personally go more 'part time' at my part-time job. Problem is, you never know when work will show up in the inbox. Monday, for instance, it was SOOOO slow, and I thought "Ah, they've (they = clients) all self-isolated..." But NO, at 3PM the dam broke and it was a torrent of work. Maybe I'll just cut down to checking email 4 times a day and pulling the dailies from the physical sites at the 3rd check... If they need something in the interim, they can call/text.

But I'm not sure what I'd do with my time in between, it's allergy season (trees all bloomed, pretty, but wow am I sneezy) and it's raining so 'outside' isn't a possibility. OH! Paperwork sorting! And I can do it from in here! Awesome :D

DH self-relinquished the cc after having been sent for peanut butter and leeks and having RETURNED WITH peanut butter, leeks, a butternut squash and the weirdest-looking ("it was the only one") sweet potato I've ever seen. It may be a weird yam. This is an obvious bid for a curry. Which is fine, but probably not 'til the weekend, I don't undertake massive 'chopping' projects on days when I might have to pause the chopping to answer the phone or set up a shipment, both veg are prone to being kind of 'tacky' once on your fingers. And half of both of them will end up in the freezer, because... When I say weird looking, I mean MASSIVE. Sweet potato/yam thing. It alone could feed 4.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

It's weird having someone else 1) in my office, 2) making coffee and delivering it every morning. I think I might let him stay ;)

Spending is down.

Worrying is 'up.' DH's employer just furloughed some of their European personnel. Double-whammy kind of thing, they're always slow this time of year but they've had the work from home edict for a while and between those two things...

None of his folks were affected, they're working on US projects as well as local so they're working from home and safe from the furlough process.

The countries their branches are in reeeeeally take care of furloughed folks, so while he's not worried about them being $ okay, he is worried some might get sick. Because the #s in their countries aren't on the downward swing yet.

I have to say.... 1-1/3 days of overhearing his conversations & I still only have about 1/4 an idea what it is he actually DOES. When he was running normal engineers rather than IT engineers I understood what he was talking about. Funny thing there, my degree (from dinosaur days, mind)? It's in IT. It should be noted that I never did any programming for a living outside of a little code to make industrial machinery do specific things, and even that was 15+ years ago.

Man, I'm old.

Have a safe day!
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Sandi how are you doing with your intermittent fasting and your diabetes? Are you having the success you were looking for?
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:32 pm Sandi how are you doing with your intermittent fasting and your diabetes? Are you having the success you were looking for?
Things were getting better.... and now? It's kind of flat, with maybe a small uptick into the 'bad' zone.

I'm out of salad stuff (lettuce, spinach, the 'greens') - it's too early to have them from the garden and it's nearly impossible to 'stock' them when you can find them at the grocery store (haven't been to a store since last weekend, but when we were there, the salad aisle was pretty sad). Even DH was struck yesterday - "we're out of lettuce :o " - yeah, I know, that's why dinner featured broccoli so prominently.

I have some broccoli, frozen, but not enough to get through this thing and, while I can eat a salad every day of the known world, my digestive tract will not allow broccoli with the same repetition.

You know what stores well? Carbs. Rice, in particular. Beans, which I can only eat in small qtys. So right now I have to reeeeally watch what's going on. But I've found myself 'stress' eating and eating just because the people in the house are eating. :o But I have to admit DH is right, that freaky sweet potato and the butternut squash DID contribute to one of the best curries I've ever made.

DH's desk (3 monitors, a bunch of junk I don't understand, office chair... it's huge) is now in my office and has blocked my treadmill and I'm allergic to the outdoors (pollen season big time here). And it's going to be 90 today, pollen and heat are asthma triggers for me.

I don't go back to the Doc 'til the end of April. Not sure how things will look. I guess I'll just wander back and forth across the house between phone calls to try to get some movement going.

I'm going to have to get him to move that contraption he works with and put the treadmill... somewhere. ANYwhere, where I can access it. Maybe even our room. I'm not sure it'll fit through the door, though, the office has double doors, it was easy to get in here.