DGfrugal journal 2020

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DGfrugal journal 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am

Checked my goals for this past week. They will be the goals for this week as well. Clear clutter on the porch, work on rain barrels and mow grass.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday am

Apparently, the weekend protests were not as successful as the BLM hoped, so now they are planning an economic black out on Tuesday. Historically, it is often the last gasp of a dying movement. The attempted attack on the Alamo was met with resistance and other protests were not completely successful. A couple of protesters were hit, one killed, by a car on the Seattle interstate. Now they are thinking blocking the interstate may not be a good idea. Interesting times.

A lot of people bought a lot of food on Saturday and I am thinking, Tuesday will be a good day to pick up some discounted meats. I am also hopeful that the gas prices will drop a bit. It is about that time.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am

Out to Home Depot already and bought one 2x4 for the patio section. They didn't have the prices marked on the lumber. Weird. The cashier was annoyed that the handymen were ignoring the entrance and coming in the exit. Since Home Depot put all the large carts outside the exit, what did they expect these people to do? They need a large cart and so they get one and come in the closest door. The several I saw come in the exit as I was paying were Hispanic and I got the feeling they were ready to fight if challenged. Putting the carts outside the exit door is stupid and clearly decided by some corporate idiot who probably never hauled anything in his life. That is why I go to Lowe's now for big orders.

About 9 am, it is off to Walmart market for weekly groceries. See if the BLM boycott is working. Time to get out 10 pound bag of frozen chicken for a weeks worth of meals. Beef or fish until it thaws.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday am

Educational moment. A huge limb fell during the mean storm last night and broke the back gate. I am pretty sure I can repair it myself, but not the way I wanted to spend my day. Still, I will try to repair it today, so I can lock it tonight. See if it works out.

The neighbor across the street, my old walking partner, now has another person living there. She has a small house like mine and 4 adults live there now. Her adult daughter and her adult son and his very sick girlfriend. She has blood clots around her heart and abdominal cancer. They can't operate on the cancer because of the blood clots apparently. I won't be surprised when an ambulance comes. On the weekends, her other adult daughter and family come over and this adult girl, not really able to live on her own very well, that she is taking care of come over. That is a lot of cars. And several of them don't seem to be very good drivers. I sure hope they don't knock down my mail box while juggling cars and trucks. Won't be surprised though if they do. Another neighbor is getting his roof replaced. I can watch it from my back yard. Busy neighborhood right now.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday am

I am probably going to stay home today. I told hubs we would have sausage and sauerkraut again, but I think I will wait on it. Today, I will probably fix fish and use up the extra steamed cauliflower and beans as sides. By tomorrow, the chicken should be thawed. Sunday or Monday will be a good day to get a couple more excellent pot roasts and some beer for hub's sausage and sauerkraut. I would like to keep the frozen chicken level low in the big freezer in case we have a power outage or the freezer goes out. Cooking beef or fish uses less power than cooking the chicken. Something about raw chicken creeps me.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am

It looks like it will be a good day. A nice cool west breeze off the lake will make work outside easier. My burglar bars should be delivered this coming week. Then I can decide on the next step to secure the house. The ease with which the gate was dislodged has been educational. I did a google search on making it more secure and I have a plan. Hubs, of course, has an elaborate solution that requires me to do a lot of work. Nope, easy works just as well.

I am doing well on my goals for the week. The grass is mowed and the clutter on the porch is greatly reduced. And if the weather allows, even more reduced today.

Hubs plans to do the monthly expense report today. Justice is finally catching up with the looters and that is very satisfying. Hubs is reading on the Supercycle book again which means he thinks things will start to look up in the stock market.