Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Post by HappyDaze »

It was in fact NOT a no-spend weekend. I walked to Dollar Tree yesterday to get chicken broth and milk to put on the cats' food. Planned to spend $4 and spent $19 - but it was all grocery items. Two pounds of pure cane sugar for $1, couldn't pass that up, a box of knock off "Girl Scout Cookies" - that you would think were the real thing - and they say they're made in the same factory - a lot more cookies for a lot less money. Got some spices and some other food items.

I must have been in real "treat myself" mode yesterday because in the evening, I walked to the grocery store with my daughter. I ended up getting a few things I would not normally buy - but what TREATS! Got a bottle of VEGAN eggs. Yep, you pour the stuff in a pan and scramble it up just like an egg and there isn't an egg in it - it is made from mung beans and some other stuff. I have always wanted to try it and it was marked down from $5.79 to $3.99 - still EXPENSIVE - I want to do some research and figure out how to make my own. Got some pre-baked, marinated tofu, marked down to $2.89 from $4.99 - makes it cheaper than the plain packages I usually buy. Picked up some potatoes too.

We are set for the big storm with food, pet food, household items. The snow is falling fast and furious already and they were saying it wouldn't start until 10:00 a.m.

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

My federal tax refund has been deposited in my bank account. Now I just have to mail off a check to the state.

In spite of my tendency to hoard every penny for either savings or debt payment, I did make a donation this morning to help some folks who are going through a terrible time. Didn't part with any more than I would have spent on one visit to the hair salon and I've saved a ton on that over the last year. I tend to be "stingy", "miserly" even - finally my daughter helped me decide how much to give by asking me some good questions - I asked for her help and really appreciated her input.

This girl gives and gives - all she has really, not keeping anything for herself - the opposite of her mama. I have witnessed her take off her hoodie and give it to a homeless person in NYC, anonymously give a gift card to a single mom at Christmas (the mom was working two minimum wage jobs, had no car, etc.). I am proud of her generous heart but hope it doesn't come back to bite her in the future. I tell her "you need to SAVE"..."nobody is going to take care of you but YOU"..."think of your future"...

Anyway, I am not in charge of her finances any more than she is in charge of mine, and she pays her rent and share of the utility bill, always cheerfully and on time. I about faint when I see that bill - daughter keeps her rooms very warm - which is fine if she wants to pay for that - but seeing the amount - higher than any bills I have had before while living alone - is shocking! The bar graph on the bill that shows what was used last year compared to this year is WAY UP. She jokes that I've been trying to freeze myself and I joke that she is trying to turn her rooms into a tropical paradise. It's all good.

I spent $19 and change at Family Dollar last night on pet food. Will spend today on some birthday cards and odds and ends and will see what I can't live without at the grocery store. But first - more coffee.

Please forgive my rambling. Getting it all down helps me stay on track and figure it all out.

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

I love these posts...:)
I think with your daughter living with you....your spending and saving habits might rub off on each other...:)

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I also love to read your “rambling,” Sheila. You and your daughter remind me of me and my mom. We were very different but still had a lot of love. I’m glad you are able to spend this time with her.

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

ChristmasTrees wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:59 pm
I love these posts...:)
I think with your daughter living with you....your spending and saving habits might rub off on each other...:)
That might not be a bad thing. I know I could loosen up a little - and she could tighten up A LOT, LOL. :lol:

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:19 am
I also love to read your “rambling,” Sheila. You and your daughter remind me of me and my mom. We were very different but still had a lot of love. I’m glad you are able to spend this time with her.
I am glad too! I'm becoming very frustrated with COVID - thinking there has to be MORE to life than going to work and going to bed!!! I miss all the things I used to do. My friend who I have had a monthly coffee date with for years - we have only seen each other 3x since January 2020.

At my job, part of my responsibilities is to help coworkers deal with all this - my daughter really helps ME deal with it all.