My 2021 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: My 2021 Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

My challenge is starting to grow. Took Teddi to the Vet for his rabies shot, tag, and heartworm test. All were planned for so had the money. Talked to the Vet about him just not being his usual self. She recommended a thyroid test which might be the cause as well as it could be a problem with his skin. The whole visit came to $348.09.. Way over budget and even exceeded my slush fund. She felt his skin would benefit from another course of antibiotics. We discussed his known food allergies and she gave me an online Vet to contact regarding making his food at home. Right now I plan on continuing his home cooked pork and salmon and add in some salt free green beans and boiled potatoes. Before he ate today he went out to potty and had diarrhea and then later on threw up. He had not been given medication ie heartworm or antibiotic. I had planned on starting things today since his antibiotic requires taking it with food. Then later today he was begging for something to eat and has had several small meals of pork and baby carrots and seems to be keeping everything down and not having a bowel problem. I wish we could figure out what is going on with him.

I am glad I have a well stocked freezer and pantry for my own food. It is one of the few areas where I can save money. I was able to use the refund check from Medicare to purchase two nice pork roasts for Teddi. Plus the Vets office knocked $5.00 off of his visit yesterday so that helped. I will have to cut the roasts in half and freeze them so he should be ok for about 3 weeks. I also have free baby carrots for him.

Food wise I have just been grabbing something handy ie breakfast was half of an apple (free) with peanut butter. Lunch was canned chili. Snack mid afternoon was the other half of the apple eaten plain. Dinner was 1/2 of a pork sandwich and the last of the free Vanilla yogurt with some fresh walnuts. Tomorrow I will try to get more organized and do some menu planning.

Today a respiratory therapist came to my house to bring me my new C-Pap machine and to give me instructions on how to use it. I used it this afternoon while taking a nap and it was very nice.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Crunched the numbers for my trip to Mexico next year.. YIKES! Finding someone to take care of Teddi is going to be the largest amount of money. My friend, who usually babysits Teddi, will be going with me. Hopefully airfare will come down somewhat between now and towards the end of this year. Right now you cannot even book a flight for the time I will be traveling and the prices are higher than what we paid last time and we went first class. Of course that was in 2013. We will be staying in a time share with a kitchen so we will be doing most of our meals at home. It is about an hour by cab to Walmart. We will be sharing the cost of food for the apartment. She likes to cook and I will do the dishes. Frankly I could spend the whole 2 weeks on the balcony overlooking the ocean and be very happy.

I am in use it up mode. While rummaging through the fridge this morning realized I had a can of evaporated milk that needed to be used so decided to make French toast and use the yucky gluten free bread from Walmart. I made a mix of some of the milk and two eggs with cinnamon and vanilla. I only had 3 slices of gluten free bread that needed to be used. Gluten free bread is smaller than regular sliced bread and it did not soak up the mixture like regular wheat bread would have, so had some mixture leftover. Hmmmm... Then I had a lightbulb moment. I still have cooked rice left from the other day when Teddi was not feeling well. So decided to make a rice pudding using up the mix, and the remainder of the evaporated milk. Also will add another egg to the mix with cinnamon and vanilla. I will throw in a few raisins and problem is solved. Right now baking a pork roast for Teddi. I use an air fryer oven so it does not heat up the house like a standard stove would. I do not use the air fryer when making his roast just the oven. Still the kitchen is on the west side of the house and really hot this time of day..

I boiled the last of the red potatoes. There was one large one and two medium size. I added some to Teddi's dinner and he scarfed it all down. I think I will cut back on the pork and gradually add the potatoes like I did today and then in a day or so add a few of the salt free green beans finely cut up.

Lunch today for me was a nice big salad with some cherry tomatoes, finely
chopped onion, sliced green olives, and some yellow pickled peppers chopped up. Added some shredded cheddar cheese, a sprinkle of raw sunflower seeds, and a few walnuts. Used store bought ranch dressing.

For dinner I toasted 3 taco shells in the toaster oven. Nuked some leftover chili and added shredded cheese, chopped onion, and diced fresh tomato, and pickled jalapeno peppers. It was very easy and quick to make. Dessert was half of a ginormous apple.

Yesterday I made a pitcher of ice tea which really hit the spot today. We have a heat index of 100.

I cut one of the large pork roasts in half and now baking one for Teddi for tomorrow. The other half is in the freezer. I will cut the other one up tomorrow and freeze it as well. Teddi should be good for food for a couple of weeks if not longer since I am going to cut back on his meat a little bit and add the boiled potato and green beans. He is still enjoying a few baby carrots for treats.

Right now the food situation is going well with what I have on hand. However this is just the beginning of tightening my frugal belt.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

As if I have not been having a lot of fun shuffling money around to try to pay for my vacation in Mexico my washing machine has gone rogue. It has started to make a horrible screeching noise during certain parts of the cycle. Also over the last couple of weeks it has chewed up two very nice bath towels on separate occasions. Yesterday the noise was the worse so on Monday I will call a repairman. My aide has given me the name of a company that she has dealt with for years. I hope it can be repaired and that I do not need a new one. This machine was new in 2005. I can live without a dryer but a washing machine is a necessity.

Still in use it up mode. Breakfast was the last half of the apple from yesterday with peanut butter. It was also the last of the free apples.

I am working through the last of the instant coffee. I will be glad when it is gone. I had initially planned on saving it for a day when I was out of coffee grounds but decided to just use it up and get it out of the way. Also finished the last of the free Vanilla yogurt.

Lunch was the last of a can of chili. I used it to make a "taco salad " minus the tacos.. lol. I added shredded cheese, chopped onion, and pickled jalapeno peppers. I paid $1.49 for a can of chili and used it for 3 different meals. The first was just a bowl of chili for lunch one day. Then yesterday made nachos with it and today made taco salad. Although I still have some hard corn tortillas I did not add them to the salad because I want to save them for when I will make tacos.

Dinner is going to be Thai yellow curry. I have a lot of boiled potatoes and thought I would use some to make a curry. I will add sliced onion (free), a can of mushrooms (.59 Cents), a can of coconut milk (.99 cents), as well as open a can of garbanzo beans (free) to make it vegetarian. I usually use chicken but I want to stretch my meat for as long as I can. I have a yummy Thai yellow curry paste that I buy thorough Amazon. Last year my BFF and I went together to buy a bundle due to the lower cost. That was before the pandemic hit. We had not seen each other until she came to watch Teddi while I was gone. She brought me my share of the curry paste. I now have a lovely supply that will last me a very long time and help me through this period of being super frugal. I will not be eating the curry with rice since I am going to eat the rice pudding for dessert.

I mentioned in the daily check-in today that my poison ivy equipment is almost complete. I just need to wait for the poison ivy eradicator to arrive. Not looking forward to working on it but it is a necessary thing.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Janet, it sounds as thought you feel as I do about instant coffee - better than NO coffee. I bought a jar of Maxwell House when the pandemic first hit and got a free jar of Folgers through a survey site (product test/evaluation) and I'm working through them. I use it mainly for iced coffee because I "doctor it up" with almond milk and plant based flavored creamer and a lot of ice. (I drink my hot - brewed - coffee black).

Good luck with your washing machine repair - do let us know how you make out with that.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:08 pm Janet, it sounds as thought you feel as I do about instant coffee - better than NO coffee. I bought a jar of Maxwell House when the pandemic first hit and got a free jar of Folgers through a survey site (product test/evaluation) and I'm working through them. I use it mainly for iced coffee because I "doctor it up" with almond milk and plant based flavored creamer and a lot of ice. (I drink my hot - brewed - coffee black).

Good luck with your washing machine repair - do let us know how you make out with that.
I bought the instant coffee for my niece. She likes iced coffee first thing in the morning and uses instant.Yuck. I like iced coffee but prefer to use leftover brewed coffee later in the day. I do like my brewed coffee but like to have cream or half &half. A little bit of luxury that I enjoy.
Janet Alliesmama
mona50

Post by mona50 »

Janet, when I read what you are planning to undertake with the poison ivy, it scares me. It really sounds like a job for the professionals (not sure who that might be) . . . but it just sounds too dangerous for you for a variety of reasons. Of course, it is not my business, but it concerns me when I read about it.