Frugal Things That Make Us Feel Good

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Frugal Things That Make Us Feel Good

Post by HappyDaze »

What are some frugal/cheap things that you do/can do that perk you up, bring you a sense of peace/calm, help you feel better? Since we are getting ready to go into a new year and I'm going Full On Frugal, I'm starting a list. Here is what is on my list so far ---
Bake something, get something cooking in the slow cooker, vacuum the floors (LOVE clean floors), tidy my closet, file my nails (I don't do full on manicures, just keep them clean and tidy), walk the dogs (providing it is safe for me to do so - ice and such), listen to soft jazz music, check in with my accounts/budget, take a hot shower and put on clean pajamas and cozy socks, take a nap, watch a movie from the 30's, 40's or 50's, water/tend to my plants, sketch and draw (LOVE my Dollar Tree sketch books and pencils), light a couple of candles.
What else ya got? It's going to be a long winter with all my work time spent at home and it needs to be super frugal!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
SandiSAHM

Re: Frugal Things That Make Us Feel Good

Post by SandiSAHM »

The very act of staying home makes me feel good. I'm an introvert, but it's not the cause, the cause is I LIKE being at home. I'm okay with vacations (just got back from one) but I like home - so much that I prefer it to Airbnbs, hotels, pretty much anywhere else. I'd take a free hotel stay right smack on a clean beautiful beach if it were ever offered to me, but as the dad fish said in Finding Dory, the whole reason you travel when you're young is so you don't have to do it later ;).
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

I have one of those little electric heaters in my bathroom. I turn it on for about 5-10 minutes before I take a shower, and turn it off about five minutes after I'm done. I hate being cold and wet, so this is like a spa, lol The added benefit is that it helps dry out the bathroom. I don't think it costs much.

When I lived in Pittsburgh our bathroom was ICE COLD, so I started doing this out of necessity, but quickly decided that it made me feel special, lol

I like to go on Google maps and "walk" up and down the streets of my childhood hometown, Cicero and Berwyn, Illinois, and also downtown Chicago, where I'd run around with my step-sister and friends.

And I also go to realtor.com and look at homes for sale, there....bungalows and two-flats. Usually they have a lot of pictures of the insides. I like to see homes that haven't had much work done, they're still "vintage", and I like to be horrified about how bad the "updated" homes are, lol

I get more nostalgic and "homesick" for that area, as the years go by. And, strangely, I seem to be remembering a lot more about it......instead of forgetting things with age.
ohjodi
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

I like walking. I live in neighborhoods that are family oriented and family friendly. I live to walk and look at the different holiday decorations. I love the wreaths,, pine cones, snowmen... all of it.

I love a nice cup of hot tea and a good book. Settling back and reading for an hour. Such a treat and pleasure.

I love cooking different ethnic foods when I have the time. Exploring new lands and reading their history. New tastes.

Regards,
JGomez
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I enjoy a cup of tea, a good book, knitting, sewing, heck just about any crafting.

I love going for walks, sitting by the firepit, the smell of baking, and a mug of good hot chocolate.

Spending time with my boys brings me great joy.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I should add - this time of year I love coming home from work, putting on clean, cozy pajamas and getting into bed and putting on a Christmas movie. (DD walks the dogs Monday through Friday so I'm off the hook there). it makes all right with the world.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz