Get four at-⁠home COVID-⁠19 tests for free

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: Get four at-⁠home COVID-⁠19 tests for free

Post by HappyDaze »

Ordered mine at work today. Why does this give me "pandemic won't end anytime soon" vibes?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
snowangel729

Post by snowangel729 »

I got ours and ordered some for my mom
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Thank you! I just ordered ours.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:28 pm Ordered mine at work today. Why does this give me "pandemic won't end anytime soon" vibes?
Hopefully this will be the last year. Spanish Flu pandemic lasted over two years.

But yes, makes you wonder.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:28 pm Ordered mine at work today. Why does this give me "pandemic won't end anytime soon" vibes?
I think we will be in this for another year, at least.

They're supposed to announce tomorrow that they will be sending masks to everyone, too.

There is an actual shortage of the good N95 (?) masks for people to buy, but the US has a stockpile of 750 million of them. So they're sending out 400 million.

We needed these especially a year or two ago. But I remember the last administration was outbidding the states for these masks, and said they were not stockpiling them for the people, but for the federal government. I remember a reporter asking Kushner "aren't the people the federal government"? I think it was in Illinois that a $3M load of masks from china, bought by the state, was taken off the tarmac, loaded onto an Army plane, never to be seen again.

But Biden has taken a year to distribute these, anyway.

These masks aren't free. We all paid for them a long time ago.
ohjodi
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

ohjodi wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:36 am I think we will be in this for another year, at least.

They're supposed to announce tomorrow that they will be sending masks to everyone, too.

There is an actual shortage of the good N95 (?) masks for people to buy, but the US has a stockpile of 750 million of them. So they're sending out 400 million.

We needed these especially a year or two ago. But I remember the last administration was outbidding the states for these masks, and said they were not stockpiling them for the people, but for the federal government. I remember a reporter asking Kushner "aren't the people the federal government"? I think it was in Illinois that a $3M load of masks from china, bought by the state, was taken off the tarmac, loaded onto an Army plane, never to be seen again.

But Biden has taken a year to distribute these, anyway.

These masks aren't free. We all paid for them a long time ago.
The masks are going to be available at community health centers and pharmacies according to NYT.

Even not counting children, 400 million masks will be about two masks per person. Doesn’t seem worth it to me. Save them in the strategic stockpile for health care workers and others who really need them.