Daily Check in Oct 19, 2017

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Re: Daily Check in Oct 19, 2017

Post by icfrugal1 »

Ellen Marie, Are you signed up with any employment agencies? I found some of my best jobs that way.

So yesterday I turned 67, BEST birthday EVER!!!!!!

On tues I got a cordenzone (SP) shot, for my hip. It seems to have made me hipper all of yesterday, poor DH could not say anything because it was my birthday. :roll:

DH and i did got to Denny's for my free birthday breakfast, then DH had me drive to the AT&T store and got me a smart phone. To be honest, I really did not want one, but my old flip phone has seen better days. we are still on the "GO Phone" plan $110.00 for 1000 mins. It will take a while to figure it all out, lucky for me DH got a smart phone a few months ago, so he will help me.

But the very best part of the day were all of the phone calls e-mails and FB posts. :D

I spoke to 3 of my 4 nephews and to my favorite niece, my birthday gift when I was 26 :roll: ( she is my only niece :lol: )

I'm booked up for lunch for the next weeks, one of the things love about birthdays, mine and others, is that it gives people a reason to connect.

IC
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good afternoon all.

This morning I went to my two rummage sales and had fun. I spent $3.50 at the first sale and $4 at the second one. I got a pair of Isotoner slippers for mom ($1), a pair of Dearfoam bootie slippers for me ($1), an eyelet pillowcase (.50), two votive candleholders ($1), a Macy’s black and cream top with 3/4 sleeves for mom ($2) and a black top for me ($1). The other $1 was for another pair of slippers for mom which were too large so I’ll donate them.

At the second sale I ran into mom’s neighbor on the other side. They have to remove a dead oak tree that also hangs over mom’s utility building. The tree is in a tight, awkward area and it is going to cost $13k to get it down. Yikes! The tree company has to use a crane to reach over their pool enclosure. On the other side of the house the power line is going to have to be removed but thankfully not on mom’s side.

I went to Aldi after lunch to get a few things. Mom is addicted to their chicken salad. There are still things Aldi is out of a month after the storm.

Tomorrow morning is mom’s doctor appointment so I hope that goes well.

Have a good afternoon.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

icfrugal1 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:37 pm Ellen Marie, Are you signed up with any employment agencies? I found some of my best jobs that way.

So yesterday I turned 67, BEST birthday EVER!!!!!!

On tues I got a cordenzone (SP) shot, for my hip. It seems to have made me hipper all of yesterday, poor DH could not say anything because it was my birthday. :roll:

DH and i did got to Denny's for my free birthday breakfast, then DH had me drive to the AT&T store and got me a smart phone. To be honest, I really did not want one, but my old flip phone has seen better days. we are still on the "GO Phone" plan $110.00 for 1000 mins. It will take a while to figure it all out, lucky for me DH got a smart phone a few months ago, so he will help me.
Happy Belated Birthday, IC!
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

frugalmom wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:36 pmeverything is wanted on computer online now, I wish they could see me and see that I am not an old looking 52 yo and look young for my age and still can function, but maybe that does not matter either.

Do you have friends/former co-workers who have transitioned from traditional RN work to other functions? Can you talk to them about what classes (software?) might help you qualify for positions that require not just your experience but also computer knowledge? Do any of them work for a company that you might consider working for & could recommend you? These days, once you're past a certain age, job placement is as much - if not more - WHO you know over what you know.

I was also looking even at Amazon warehouse jobs and they only pay 13.50 out here in SF area which is minimum wage basically I think out here. You have to be able to use a forklift too.

I drove a forklift once - literally. ONCE. After that I made sure what I needed in a certain place was there before the material handlers went home, LOL.

But dh is slow to respond in movement, cognitive function, loses balance, says things that does not make sense sometimes

Surely he must understand what a danger it would be to try to drive a bus in his condition. The city/county/state can't risk that. If he had an accident and passengers were injured and it came out that they KNEW about the elevated risk... that's a lawsuit of epic proportions.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:28 pm
Jackielou wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:56 am

Today I am grateful that we have a Prime Minister who cares for others.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie, I know that yesterday Canada lost a beloved citizen, Gord Downie. I don’t know much about the group Tragically Hip, but I saw last year the outpouring of love when they made their farewell tour.

It was moving watching Justin Trudeau’s comments. Crying was a sign of caring. You’ve got a good one as prime minister.
While I am not a Tragically Hip fan over all (I do like a few of their songs), Gord Downie was very into social justice which made him beloved by everyone. Over this past year he went on tour even suffering from brain cancer and worked with our First Nations People on reconciliation. His presence will be missed.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Happy Belated Birthday, IC.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/