I think I want a job - but not a big one

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Re: I think I want a job - but not a big one

Post by LogicsHere » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:58 am

clemencia2us wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:47 am
Dgflorida wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:42 am
I am interested in a physical, on my feet job. I sit poorly. Right now, I have vision issues with the Mac. Degeneration or I would be looking more vigorously. I also need to consider the tax consequences on social security. This year as the new tax law gets explained, I am stuck in limbo. Doing stuff on the computer is not my strong suit thanks to my eye. :(
Once you reach a certain age - 70 or so - can't you work all you want without it affecting your social security tax wise?
You can earn as much as you want once your pass your retirement age; however, if your income at tax time falls over the $32,000 for married and $25,000 for singles, up to 85% of your SS becomes taxable.

I came upon a small job just yesterday (10 hrs a week) as an office assistant in the town just north of me. At 2:00 A.M. this morning I applied. My intention is that the money would come in handy for my renovation projects (bathroom and kitchen), but just this morning my sister calls and tells me that after all it took to get her husband back working with a manager who gives him the time he needs on the job, she was transferred again (shame on Publix). While this still might not turn out to be a problem if he is given 18 to 20 hours a week, if it turns out they go back to 8 hours, it's a major problem again for them. I'm afraid that my sister WILL ALWAYS AND I DO MEAN ALWAYS NEED FINANCIAL HELP. So if I'm fortunate to get the job I applied for at 2:00 this morning, it will probably go again to help them keep their heads above water. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR But at least I won't be taking it from my own SS/savings. I don't want a full time job, 10 hours a week is perfect. Keeping my fingers crossed because my sister's family are the bottomless money pit.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:06 am

LogicsHere wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:58 am
clemencia2us wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:47 am
Dgflorida wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:42 am
I am interested in a physical, on my feet job. I sit poorly. Right now, I have vision issues with the Mac. Degeneration or I would be looking more vigorously. I also need to consider the tax consequences on social security. This year as the new tax law gets explained, I am stuck in limbo. Doing stuff on the computer is not my strong suit thanks to my eye. :(
Once you reach a certain age - 70 or so - can't you work all you want without it affecting your social security tax wise?
You can earn as much as you want once your pass your retirement age; however, if your income at tax time falls over the $32,000 for married and $25,000 for singles, up to 85% of your SS becomes taxable.

I came upon a small job just yesterday (10 hrs a week) as an office assistant in the town just north of me. At 2:00 A.M. this morning I applied. My intention is that the money would come in handy for my renovation projects (bathroom and kitchen), but just this morning my sister calls and tells me that after all it took to get her husband back working with a manager who gives him the time he needs on the job, she was transferred again (shame on Publix). While this still might not turn out to be a problem if he is given 18 to 20 hours a week, if it turns out they go back to 8 hours, it's a major problem again for them. I'm afraid that my sister WILL ALWAYS AND I DO MEAN ALWAYS NEED FINANCIAL HELP. So if I'm fortunate to get the job I applied for at 2:00 this morning, it will probably go again to help them keep their heads above water. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR But at least I won't be taking it from my own SS/savings. I don't want a full time job, 10 hours a week is perfect. Keeping my fingers crossed because my sister's family are the bottomless money pit.
your sister is lucky to have you around. Dang - what would they do without you if they needed money?

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:28 pm

LogicsHere wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:58 am
but just this morning my sister calls and tells me that after all it took to get her husband back working with a manager who gives him the time he needs on the job, she was transferred again (shame on Publix). While this still might not turn out to be a problem if he is given 18 to 20 hours a week, if it turns out they go back to 8 hours, it's a major problem again for them. I'm afraid that my sister WILL ALWAYS AND I DO MEAN ALWAYS NEED FINANCIAL HELP. Keeping my fingers crossed because my sister's family are the bottomless money pit.
I do wonder if you just said to your sister, "Sorry, I'm retired, after all these decades, I can't financially help you anymore. At all, ever again," she wouldn't figure out some new and novel way to not have to rely on you.

As long as you're handing it out, she's going to take it.

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Dgflorida wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:37 am
Many libraries offer free courses in the newer versions of Microsoft office. That might help you get some new skills cheap and spend time productively.
Office is so intuitive I'm surprised anyone offers classes beyond Youtube tutorials. I used to write job control language to make machines do 'smart' things - make decisions about the disposition of whatever part or 'thing' appeared in their sensors; I wish it had been as intuitive as Microsoft stuff.

Ha! These days it probably is! Even machinery has more built-in sense than it used to have. My car, for instance, knows where its been and how much its using in the way of resources at any given point on the road. I used to joke with DH about the day when they start to think for themselves...

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Logics - what Sandy said. Don't enable them. I had a sister like this and she never got along until she was forced to and you know what - she did just fine then. Of course the whining never stopped.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:26 pm

I hope you find a perfect little job!

I was kind of irritated when I read a facebook post by a cousin that is looking for a receptionist for her business.

She didn't understand why someone with a degree would want a "lowly" desk job. I told her that some of us just want some interaction, pocket money, and no big responsibilities. Didn't want her to not take those applicants into consideration. They could be the best workers!