Freezer owners. Did you make the right decision?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
RecoveringDreamer

Re: Freezer owners. Did you make the right decision?

Post by RecoveringDreamer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:50 pm

SandiSAHM wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:50 pm
mbrudnic wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:46 pm
I miss my freezer, but I don't think I'd get one now that I am single. Even though I was close to stores, with 2 sons I'd buy most of my meat at Costco and stock up, It made meals much easier for me when I worked full time outside the home.

Meat can be refrozen if it has not fully thawed or stayed at least as cool as it woudl in a refrigerator. Or you can cook the meat and then freeze it for later meals. Any power outages I had did not last long enough to have to worry about my meats.
When I lived in another state and was married to a carnivore and there was a big-time electrical failure for days due to ice/snow - I put all the frozen stuff outside on the deck. On top of the ice & snow, LOL. Nothing thawed out there!
When I was a kid, we had an epic ice storm that left my family without power for 2 weeks. Each morning, I organized my sisters and we went out gathering icicles to pack the coolers. My parents had just had their steer slaughtered, so it there was a ton of meat. We didn't lose anything. It was kind of a fun chore.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:50 pm

RecoveringDreamer wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:50 pm
SandiSAHM wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:50 pm
mbrudnic wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:46 pm
I miss my freezer, but I don't think I'd get one now that I am single. Even though I was close to stores, with 2 sons I'd buy most of my meat at Costco and stock up, It made meals much easier for me when I worked full time outside the home.

Meat can be refrozen if it has not fully thawed or stayed at least as cool as it woudl in a refrigerator. Or you can cook the meat and then freeze it for later meals. Any power outages I had did not last long enough to have to worry about my meats.
When I lived in another state and was married to a carnivore and there was a big-time electrical failure for days due to ice/snow - I put all the frozen stuff outside on the deck. On top of the ice & snow, LOL. Nothing thawed out there!
When I was a kid, we had an epic ice storm that left my family without power for 2 weeks. Each morning, I organized my sisters and we went out gathering icicles to pack the coolers. My parents had just had their steer slaughtered, so it there was a ton of meat. We didn't lose anything. It was kind of a fun chore.
Recoverind D.. what a great story and idea.. never thought of using icicles.. will keep that in mind... Sometimes we have power outages that have lasted only 4 days in winter. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:52 pm

alliesmama4 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:50 pm
Recoverind D.. what a great story and idea.. never thought of using icicles.. will keep that in mind... Sometimes we have power outages that have lasted only 4 days in winter. Janet Alliesmama
My parents were going to buy ice, but it would have been so expensive! I was just starting to read a *ton* about frugal living, so my brain was primed for finding a frugal solution. I was such a weird teenager. haha That being said, I am so glad that during my formative years, I was creating those neural pathways. It has helped me so much in my adult life.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:50 pm

Been lots of talk about power loss, well like many of you I can just stick everything out on the deck in the winter. No chance of thawing at all. Summer is another story, but if you don't go in and out of your freezers very often things stay frozen for a very long time.

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:04 pm

As far as power loss -- we have that a lot. So we finally bought a whole house generator after to 5 day outages in one year. But of course we wouldn't have done that just for a freezer.

Pre generator, we would keep the door closed and put layers of newspaper and quilts over the freezer. Things would generally stay frozen solid for about 48 hours.
Also near us is a freezer locker that has a power outage special and will rent you a locker by the week for power outages. We would just load up laundry baskets and move the stuff if we had to in order to keep it frozen.

I thought Recovering Dreamers use of the icicles was amazing!