Daily Check in April 20, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Mrscreative

Re: Daily Check in April 20, 2018

Post by Mrscreative » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:04 pm

Good afternoon everyone,

It finally feels a bit like spring here! Dh and I were anxious to take advantage of the sunshine so had a 7 mile walk in our neighbourhood. Came home for lunch and I then attended my Retirement Explorers group while dh headed to the golf course to try out his new clubs. The golf course isn't open but he knows of an open, green area where a lot of people put in their first practise. He used older balls and did not retrieve them as the ground is still snow covered in parts and very muddy even though it's the "driest" area. He ran into one of his golfing buddies and had a good chat.

Our group went on an art and historical tour of our city's marina and waterfront area. Apparently we put in 7000 steps as someone was wearing a pedometer. So needless to say I'm sure I got in my 10 000 steps today as that little jaunt was nothing in comparison to the morning. It was an interesting tour and it's nice that the weather was decent. I was glad I wore my toque though as the wind off Lake Superior can be biting cold.

Dh and I are empty nesters for this weekend as dd is spending it with friends and being picked up directly from work. So I get to care for my "grand cat" for a few days.

Thank goodness most of the infrastructure construction directly in front of our house is completed. They are getting everything surveyed for our neighbours across the street now. At least we won't have our driveway blocked anymore and they filled up the hole in our driveway with crushed rock as a temporary measure. The hole exposing the crab apple tree roots has also been covered up with earth. Even as homeowners we had no say in terms of this "progress". They are updating the telephone lines to fiber optic wires. I shutter to think of the cost! Drilling frozen ground cannot be inexpensive, running cables under paved driveways, etc.

Well have a nice evening everyone and a good weekend coming up!
Creative

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Dgflorida wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:42 am
Good Friday morning all,

I think my car is leaking gas. I will be going outside to confirm it later when it is a bit warmer. I am not sure that there is a smell, but we had a 2005 chevy and it did the same thing that I think is happening here. Leaking at the fuel injectors. I have decided that is enough. When they fixed the transmission problem on my current car, they never really got it right and it makes me feel unsafe never sure when it will go out again. Hubs is annoyed with it too when I drive him to the doctors. My current car is a 2010 cobalt that I bought via the internet, used, a great deal. It has 56,000 on it. I only put 20,000 on it. So I am going to buy a new car. I will see what is available over the next several weeks. I will probably have to have my car towed in, a leaking gas situation is not drivable and we have towing insurance. Normally, I would be looking at a used car and I may, but the new safety features please me and I want them. Although I can drive with my macular degeneration vision, I want the extra safety. I figure this will be my last car and I intend to keep it 10 years. When I hit 80, I am not sure I will want to drive. I told old dance partner that I was ready for a new car and I would probably decide within a couple of weeks. It takes him 6 months to decide and then he complains that he made the wrong choice. He hates me for making decisions so easily. He didn't want to talk to me any longer this morning as a result. I might get the car that he really wanted, whatever that was. :?

I have been frustrated with this car because I now live in the country rather than the city and I need more hauling capacity. Hubs doesn't drive anymore, so there will not be any conflict there. My decision completely. At least, I hope.

I haven't heard from the handyman regarding the porch repairs. I will probably have to call him and find out what the problem is. I also haven't heard from the driveway guy or the floor guy. It looks like those things will be pushed into May. :roll:

Hubs reached his weight goal yesterday and we celebrated with a low carb beer and steak. The steak was not very good. Educational. Today, he starts his pain medication and he hopes to start walking again. He says this has been a good week without medication compared to other times. He is still walking in the house and that is good.

I bought eggs yesterday. I assumed they were cleared from recall. Nope. I have the bad ones. :x I will have to take them back and get a refund and hubs will have to eat walnuts for breakfast again.

Nothing especially frugal today, other than the normal things. Well, the car situation is a downer. I don't like a broken down car. I always feel taken advantage of by repair people. My sons come to visit next week and I will have a rental car most likely. Today, I am grateful that we can afford to buy a replacement car.

Have a good day everyone. Be safe. Be warm.
DG congrats to your DH and you for reaching is goal weight. Wish I could be as dedicated to it as you have been..Good luck with the car situation.. Janet alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:32 pm

Update:

I got all my little cracks and crannies sprayed well with Roundup to kill the wild grass that was showing it's head on my driveway and around one side of the patio wall. Once it dies I will fill the crack with sealer. I had my driveway sealed a couple years ago, but the guy sure didn't put much down, for It should be done again this year.

I spray painted a couple of little patio tables and will wait to pressure wash the patio and front walk until all the grass that I sprayed has died. One of my projects this year is to do something to the brick around the patio. I am thinking of putting plaster on the inside walls. I raked a few leaves, so feel like I did accomplish something. So tired until I will go to Chic-fil-A for dinner. Not in the mood to cook. Also, I ordered groceries from WalMart to be picked up tomorrow. I just love that service and even tho I like Kroger better I have to go to WalMart to pick up some other stuff and decided to make one trip do the job.

jckitty

Post by jckitty » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:14 pm

LittleMiss, doesn't Kroger offer the same services as Walmart?

I just started the sump pump in the pond, I saw some water skipper bugs on the water today so it is time...I'll pump it out and then get the accumulated leaves hauled out of it, then refill it over the weekend. It is a dirty. smelly heavy job getting the leaves out but Thank the Good Lord I am healthy and able to handle the work :)

Supper is over at dads, mess cleaned up and now back home to piddle around this evening....It has been a beautiful day, sunny, temps okay and just all around so much better than it has been in quite some time. Weather makes all the difference in how I feel.

They are finding morel mushrooms locally, small so far but yippee, skippy at least they are showing up!!!

JCKitty

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:11 pm

Update

Well supper is over. Walls all painted so tomorrow the guys will be starting the laying of the floor. Moving right along.

I managed to get all my books back on the bookshelves. I am a happy camper, however I think there might be a box missing some where in the shed.

Did some baking and my exercises twice today (once more in an hour or so.

Now I am going to try and knit for a little bit before soaking and hitting the sheets.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:29 am

Maggie,

I am looking at a Prius too. I am also looking at the CRV. I appreciate your input. I thought about used, but I want the lane drift too.