Recipe organization

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ohjodi

Re: Recipe organization

Post by ohjodi » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:43 pm

Funny you should bring this up.....i've been making a bit of an effort to get my recipes together, and better use my cookbooks.

For recipes I have made and will make again, I'm printing out free recipe binder pages, and/or recipe cards from the internet. You can also buy downloads of nice sets from etsy.com. just search for "recipe printable" or "recipe binder" at etsy. Or on Google put "free" in front of it. You can also find a lot at Pinterest.com.

There are so many nice ones out there, and since I couldn't make up my mind which to get, I decided to just print off an assortment, and use whatever kind of goes with the recipe I'm writing down. My awesome lemon bundt cake is on a lemony printable page. Pumpkin bread will get a pumpkin or fall theme.

I'm not printing any divider pages (breads, vegetables, etc) because they use a whole lot of ink. So for now I just have the cheap school ones. I bought a binder at Dollar Tree, but I plan on getting one where you can insert a page on the front and back.....I want to kind of make a collage of old food advertising, vintage pyrex, etc, that I will print from the internet. And then slip the collage into the front and back of the binder.

My biggest thing is that years ago I figured out that I shouldn't bother writing down on recipe cards anything that I had not made, yet. There are a million recipes I want to try, and I won't get around to making even a fraction of them. But other than saving a few torn out of a magazine, or printed off the internet....how do I keep track of the recipes in my cookbooks that I want to try?

Recently, I figured it out! I've been making kind of an "index". I have a 5"x7" notebook. The first few pages are for writing down the name of each cookbook as I index them. I didn't write down ALL my cookbooks, just the one I'm working on. And then on to the next. Then the rest of the pages I divided with post it notes into sections that make sense to me.

Appetizers, Drinks, and Condiments is one tab.
Soups & Stews
Veggies & Sides
Entrees
Bread & Muffins
Desserts

Because I used post it notes, I can move the tabs if I run out of room in a section, which I doubt will happen.

I have a ton of America's Test Kitchen, Cooks Illustrated, Cook's Country, and Milk Street, books and magazines,, so these are getting their own notebook. All my other cookbooks will go into another one.

Here's how it works. On the first page, where I'm listing my cookbooks, I wrote : Cook's Country Annual 2005. Then I went through the book and any recipe that I wanted to try from that book, *****And also knew that I would REALISTICALLY be likely to try it***** I'd turn to the section it belonged to, and write it down. I made an abbreviation for the name of the book. A slow cooker recipe has "SC" in front of it.

SC Hearty Beef Stew, CC'05, oct/nov p.7

this cookbook is actually bound magazine issues, so this recipe is in Cook's Country Annual 2005, october/november issue, page 7.

REALISTIC recipes would not include a rack of lamb recipe, because as delicious as it looks, I know i will never make it.

So far I really like this, because often I'm wondering where I saw a certain recipe and have no clue where to find it.

I am not alphabetizing the recipes at all......just listing them as I write them. It's really easy to just quickly read down the lists in each section.

When I do make a recipe, if I like it, I'll write it on a printable recipe page and store it in the binder.

There is a website called Eat Your Books, where you can list all your cookbooks, and then you're able to search them all in one shot. You can list five of your cookbooks for free. More than that is like $20 a year, I think. You can also "earn" extra cookbook space by taking the time to index a cookbook into their database. I've used this many times....I just list five of my cookbooks that I want to search through at that time.
ohjodi

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:11 am

Menus normally come already divided into categories, so it is easy for me to see what to eat

Sorry - couldn't resist. :mrgreen:

ohjodi

Post by ohjodi » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:19 pm

clemencia2us wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:11 am
Menus normally come already divided into categories, so it is easy for me to see what to eat

Sorry - couldn't resist. :mrgreen:
LOL Clever!
ohjodi

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:52 pm

Thank you Jackie -
You are always so kind.

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:10 pm

I made my own recipe box years ago. I bought recipe file box dividers. And used the extra blank ones that came in the set. You can still buy ready made dividers or blank ones to make your own.

Today I am just as likely to just print out a recipe to try. I do save to my hard drive.

Penny

delighted99

Post by delighted99 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:28 pm

I will have to check out those recipe binder pages! I'm starting to think I'll do a binder like CG. I do spill things in my recipe books..
ohjodi wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:43 pm
Funny you should bring this up.....i've been making a bit of an effort to get my recipes together, and better use my cookbooks.

For recipes I have made and will make again, I'm printing out free recipe binder pages, and/or recipe cards from the internet. You can also buy downloads of nice sets from etsy.com. just search for "recipe printable" or "recipe binder" at etsy. Or on Google put "free" in front of it. You can also find a lot at Pinterest.com.

There are so many nice ones out there, and since I couldn't make up my mind which to get, I decided to just print off an assortment, and use whatever kind of goes with the recipe I'm writing down. My awesome lemon bundt cake is on a lemony printable page. Pumpkin bread will get a pumpkin or fall theme.

I'm not printing any divider pages (breads, vegetables, etc) because they use a whole lot of ink. So for now I just have the cheap school ones. I bought a binder at Dollar Tree, but I plan on getting one where you can insert a page on the front and back.....I want to kind of make a collage of old food advertising, vintage pyrex, etc, that I will print from the internet. And then slip the collage into the front and back of the binder.

My biggest thing is that years ago I figured out that I shouldn't bother writing down on recipe cards anything that I had not made, yet. There are a million recipes I want to try, and I won't get around to making even a fraction of them. But other than saving a few torn out of a magazine, or printed off the internet....how do I keep track of the recipes in my cookbooks that I want to try?

Recently, I figured it out! I've been making kind of an "index". I have a 5"x7" notebook. The first few pages are for writing down the name of each cookbook as I index them. I didn't write down ALL my cookbooks, just the one I'm working on. And then on to the next. Then the rest of the pages I divided with post it notes into sections that make sense to me.

Appetizers, Drinks, and Condiments is one tab.
Soups & Stews
Veggies & Sides
Entrees
Bread & Muffins
Desserts

Because I used post it notes, I can move the tabs if I run out of room in a section, which I doubt will happen.

I have a ton of America's Test Kitchen, Cooks Illustrated, Cook's Country, and Milk Street, books and magazines,, so these are getting their own notebook. All my other cookbooks will go into another one.

Here's how it works. On the first page, where I'm listing my cookbooks, I wrote : Cook's Country Annual 2005. Then I went through the book and any recipe that I wanted to try from that book, *****And also knew that I would REALISTICALLY be likely to try it***** I'd turn to the section it belonged to, and write it down. I made an abbreviation for the name of the book. A slow cooker recipe has "SC" in front of it.

SC Hearty Beef Stew, CC'05, oct/nov p.7

this cookbook is actually bound magazine issues, so this recipe is in Cook's Country Annual 2005, october/november issue, page 7.

REALISTIC recipes would not include a rack of lamb recipe, because as delicious as it looks, I know i will never make it.

So far I really like this, because often I'm wondering where I saw a certain recipe and have no clue where to find it.

I am not alphabetizing the recipes at all......just listing them as I write them. It's really easy to just quickly read down the lists in each section.

When I do make a recipe, if I like it, I'll write it on a printable recipe page and store it in the binder.

There is a website called Eat Your Books, where you can list all your cookbooks, and then you're able to search them all in one shot. You can list five of your cookbooks for free. More than that is like $20 a year, I think. You can also "earn" extra cookbook space by taking the time to index a cookbook into their database. I've used this many times....I just list five of my cookbooks that I want to search through at that time.