Daily Check-in, Friday, Oct. 12, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check-in, Friday, Oct. 12, 2018

Post by floridacatlover » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:56 am

Good morning.

I really feel for the people in the Panhandle. So many people have lost everything. I’ve never been to Mexico Beach but visited Panama City when I was working. That area has struggled economically and now that Tyndall Air Force Base has been destroyed I’m afraid more people will be out of work.

After watching some of the Royal Wedding in the early a.m., I went back to sleep. So I’ve had a lazy morning. But I did get my hair colored which was at the top of my list.

Tonight two friends and I are going to another friend’s new condo. I’ve already been there and gave her a bottle of wine for housewarming. But I saw a really pretty pot of mums at Publix last week so if they still have them I’ll get that for her.

Yesterday I opened a checking account at the bank with the bonus offer. There was no catch. Free checking and free debit card. I opted not to pay the $10 for checks. I deposited $500 and will get the $250 bonus in 60 days. Hard to beat a 50% return. I think I’ll put the cd I have coming due in a few weeks into a savings account there to get the additional $250 bonus. After 90 days I can move it to a cd. Right now they are offering 2.6% for 16 months so I hope it stays the same or gets better. LittleMiss, are you proud of me?

Like Jackie, I’m looking at new tires - but thankfully not snow tires! So I’ll put this extra money toward that purchase which I don’t plan to do until Dec. or Jan.

Enjoy the cool, fall weather.

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:14 pm

A beautiful Fall day here. Heading out later to my DGD"s soccer game.
I think DH and I finally have the house winter ready. Storm windows are all down. Outdoor stuff stored.
My heart breaks for those in Florida who lost everything. How do you even begin to clear all that debris away?

rinty

Post by rinty » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:36 pm

LWolfT wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:21 am
Good morning!
A bit frosty here this morning. Finally gave up and turned on the furnace to take off the chill. (And I need another blanket, LOL!)

This has been a week of running errands, but got a few things done. Cleaned out the bean patch and picked off lots of peppers and a few tomatoes. I'm debating about getting the rest this afternoon, since the temps are supposed to drop lower tonight.

Had an idea to salvage one of my fall decorations. Have some Indian corn that I usually hang on the door, but the stalks have come off a couple of the ears. I bought a small unfinished-wood plaque -- will paint it and glue the corn onto that. Just occurred to me that I probably need a ribbon or something to finish it off ... hmm, will think on that.
I have some fab hessian wired ribbon I got from COSTCO which gets used each FALL. Very good value too. Fav Fall décor this year is 59p for small white pumpkins at ALDI from a mixed crate of gourds. I have mine on pressed glass cake stands with some fake autumn leaves stuck onto them ( okya I glued them on ) But total cost £ £1.77 !

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:48 pm

floridacatlover wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:56 am
Good morning.

I really feel for the people in the Panhandle. So many people have lost everything. I’ve never been to Mexico Beach but visited Panama City when I was working. That area has struggled economically and now that Tyndall Air Force Base has been destroyed I’m afraid more people will be out of work.

After watching some of the Royal Wedding in the early a.m., I went back to sleep. So I’ve had a lazy morning. But I did get my hair colored which was at the top of my list.

Tonight two friends and I are going to another friend’s new condo. I’ve already been there and gave her a bottle of wine for housewarming. But I saw a really pretty pot of mums at Publix last week so if they still have them I’ll get that for her.

Yesterday I opened a checking account at the bank with the bonus offer. There was no catch. Free checking and free debit card. I opted not to pay the $10 for checks. I deposited $500 and will get the $250 bonus in 60 days. Hard to beat a 50% return. I think I’ll put the cd I have coming due in a few weeks into a savings account there to get the additional $250 bonus. After 90 days I can move it to a cd. Right now they are offering 2.6% for 16 months so I hope it stays the same or gets better. LittleMiss, are you proud of me?

Like Jackie, I’m looking at new tires - but thankfully not snow tires! So I’ll put this extra money toward that purchase which I don’t plan to do until Dec. or Jan.

Enjoy the cool, fall weather.
Hey FloridaCat, I am very impressed, you go girl. That is a very good return and wish we could get those kind of returns on all our investments. Also thanks for that article on Medicare, looks like I might get a little raise next year for I'm paying $134.00 now and if it only goes up to $135.50 then whoo-whoo.

rinty

Post by rinty » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:54 pm

;) AAAAAAnd the post sucked into the vortex of pop ups..............AGAIN.

I'll try again as I'm so pleased with the yellow stickers today.

12 sausages ....25p
leeks, kale ans some other green veg beautifully cut and prepared ......10p

Ditto another slightly differtn one also...........10p

have that tomorrow with gammon steaks, om, nom , nom

Best buy, 3 packs of fish sushi ( smoked salmon, prawn ) ........10p

BOO to the YAH.

So that's was Date Night sorted. Dinner ( sushi ) and a movie FREE TICKETS so we saw First Man ( very disappointing ) for a total of 30p. What a cheap date we are ;)

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:12 pm

Hi Everyone,

Have just returned from one of the cutest luncheons I think I've ever attended and I won the prize for best Witch Costume. I was up at 7:30 this morning so I could do my witch face and it turned out good. Bless youtube!

The hostess must have been browsing the internet for months. She had some finger foods that I had never seen done before and she got many compliments and not once did I hear her give anyone on the internet credit, she just said thank you, thank you so much. Reminded me of the story that CG told us that time of the hostess who had the wonderful cheese spread that everyone was going crazy for the recipe and CG later found out it was store bought Boursins Cheese Spread. LOL

I was so intrigued by them until naturally I had to do a little research and guess what? They are all on Pinterest. LOL It was a delightful party and my hat is off to her for being able to make all of it. What ever did we do before the internet???? My meeting is in February, so guess what I'm going to be doing between now and then? Yep, you guessed it. Researching! They voted at the last meeting to serve nothing but finger foods instead of a full luncheon menu and I missed it because I was on a trip. I love the idea though.

Well, as ya'll can imagine I haven't accomplished a thing today and it's to late in the date to start so I'll just declare myself a little holiday and pick up the slack tomorrow. Everyone have a great evening and a fabulous week-end. Those poor people in the Florida Panhandle, what a mess?