Aldi recommendations

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
delighted99

Re: Aldi recommendations

Post by delighted99 »

I tried the Moser Roth chocolate tonight from Aldi. They are packaged like Ghirardelli chocolates and I think that's what drew me to them. It was plain milk chocolate and I enjoyed the piece I had.

In this online article they had some chocolate "snobs" review the Aldi chocolates if you wish to read:

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/aldi-c ... taste-test
rinty

Post by rinty »

I don't think I am a chocolate "snob" but I am def sticking to my guns re ALDIs chocolate brands.

They are cheap and taste like it. Particularly the Easter chocolate, it is repulsive. we do a big easter egg hunt and I used to buy ALDIs eggs etc until I tasted them........no more ! The filled ones made me gag.

It depends what you are comparing it to I suppose, but , to me, any and all of the ordinary Britsih brands tastes far better so why would I buy a BIG bag of Aldis unpleasant tasting stuff when I can get a slightly smaller bag which tastes far superior. Its not frugal to me to eat poor quality food.

Re the comment where the British guy said " That's where the poor people shop ". That's British irony ;) and self deprecation. he would have said " Thats where the rich people shop if he'd shown you a WAITROSE " ALDI is very popular in the UK. I go in about once a month, more often if I like the look of the SUPER 6 veggie deal and I buy their summer bedding plants.

But my experience this Christmas where I bought special things they had bigged up were ALL disappointing. The ice cream santas bought as a special dessert for the kids tasted watery with an unpleasant aftertaste. The "copycat" items . ( wow, that's half what I'd pay elsewhere,lets try them !) were Cheap and Nasty so NO savings there as people didn't eat them and the sausagemeat and pastry wreath had no taste and the pastry was like dust.

I do shop at ALDI but I watch what I buy, To me its more frugal to buy less of a quality item than more of a poor quality one.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

I don't know if you buy yogurt but I found the big tubs (32 oz. I think) of the low fat vanilla to be too sweet - I am mixing it half and half with plain to temper the sweetness.

I can't usually get to an Aldi either but I was in a town with one a couple of weeks ago shopping for clothing so I stopped in. I could not believe the amount of good, healthy food I got for $56 and change - we are talking about apples, brussels sprouts, bananas, carrots (2 lb. for .99 cents!!), snow peas, cauliflower and more!
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I would dearly love to have an Aldi's store nearby, however, according to my search for stores, the nearest to me are in Moreno area California. :( Or even in Kansas City.

Mom loved the Aldi in Hamilton (or maybe Keokuk), Iowa, when she & Dad lived across the Mississippi river in Nauvoo, IL in the mid-1990's.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:22 pm As for travel, save your pennies for a “repositioning cruise.” You’d have to get yourself to Fort Lauderdale and then take the ship to Southampton. The cruise lines do this in Spring to get the ships across the Atlantic from the Caribbean to Europe and tickets are cheaper than a normal cruise. My friend did this a few years ago and this Fall she and her DH are doing it again the other way, from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale. Think about it and do some research to see if health-wise it might be doable. (I’ll go with you.)
How do you find out about the repositioning cruises? I'd go on one. ;)
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

rinty wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:29 am Well. I'm going to be negative. I do use ALDI but at Christmas I was suckered into a few purchases that seemed special or festive , each one was a great disappointment. I wished I had bought the real thing in a better supermarket.

Fav purchases there are the 6 veggies or fruit on offer which are always good price. I may buy 6 caulflowers are turn them into cauli cheese and freeze them ready for big family dinners. I like the german cookies, the chocolate is cheap and tastes like it ( sad but true ) Their packs of Chinese noodles are VERY cheap and very nice and I like their jars of olives and artichokes, good price.

The place is a bit of a lottery IMO. Stick to basics there is what works for me........like now they have Easter chocolate and its just nasty.
Rinty,

What is cauli cheese? Will you share how you make it please? :)