I'm skipping 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: I'm skipping 2020

Post by Jackielou »

nbeaver wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:01 pm
2020 was, hands down, the worst year of my life. Between DH and me, we lost 10 family members--none of them to COVID--aunts, uncles, cousins, but 3 really hard ones: my mom in April, his dad in May, and our sweet daughter-in-law, 23, in a car accident in June. She and DS2 had just celebrated their 4th anniversary. That doesn't even take into account the fact that it was an election year (Yuck!) and the year of COVID. It was a dreadful year.
So sorry for all the losses you suffered this year.

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

nbeaver wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:01 pm
2020 was, hands down, the worst year of my life. Between DH and me, we lost 10 family members--none of them to COVID--aunts, uncles, cousins, but 3 really hard ones: my mom in April, his dad in May, and our sweet daughter-in-law, 23, in a car accident in June. She and DS2 had just celebrated their 4th anniversary. That doesn't even take into account the fact that it was an election year (Yuck!) and the year of COVID. It was a dreadful year.
I am so sorry for your overwhelming losses. There are just no words.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

While 2020 was a terrible year, I learned from it. So I don't know if I want to really skip the year or not.

If we skip it what we have learned or discovered about ourselves and others would disappear.

I celebrated my 65th birthday in restrictions, Hubby celebrated his 70thn restrictions. Were our celebrations different, yes. Were they really that different, no. Since we do not give or go to many parties we did as usual. Ordered in for my birthday (Chinese Food my favourite birthday meal), and for Hubby's he got to smoke and grill some good steaks. As is usual youngest son was here to help celebrate my birthday, and both were home on vacation to celebrate Hubby's. That is how it has always been.

I kind of love what I learned from this year of restrictions.... You can reach out in so many ways. I do miss hugging though. I am a big hugger.

Both of us learned that we have so much when others have little and we have upped our donations to the food bank here in the city.

We both learned that having hobbies keeps a person occupied and sane.

Also learned that we probably will not get another cat ever or for at least a very long time after losing Shania. We just become too attached to our fur babies.

We learned we miss traveling, even if it is only a weekend away. I really missed our trip to a cabin in a national park, or up north so Hubby could go fishing. Getting out into nature is important to both of us.

Also learned we can manage on a lot less than we thought.

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:28 am
While 2020 was a terrible year, I learned from it. So I don't know if I want to really skip the year or not.

If we skip it what we have learned or discovered about ourselves and others would disappear.

I celebrated my 65th birthday in restrictions, Hubby celebrated his 70thn restrictions. Were our celebrations different, yes. Were they really that different, no. Since we do not give or go to many parties we did as usual. Ordered in for my birthday (Chinese Food my favourite birthday meal), and for Hubby's he got to smoke and grill some good steaks. As is usual youngest son was here to help celebrate my birthday, and both were home on vacation to celebrate Hubby's. That is how it has always been.

I kind of love what I learned from this year of restrictions.... You can reach out in so many ways. I do miss hugging though. I am a big hugger.

Both of us learned that we have so much when others have little and we have upped our donations to the food bank here in the city.

We both learned that having hobbies keeps a person occupied and sane.

Also learned that we probably will not get another cat ever or for at least a very long time after losing Shania. We just become too attached to our fur babies.

We learned we miss traveling, even if it is only a weekend away. I really missed our trip to a cabin in a national park, or up north so Hubby could go fishing. Getting out into nature is important to both of us.

Also learned we can manage on a lot less than we thought.
Jackie, thank you for reminding us to put it in perspective. I can't imagine the overwhelming losses that NBeaver's family experienced - I have been blessed in 2020.

2020 was the first year I ever volunteered at a food distribution - I did it 4 times. It was the first year I donated blood - I did it twice. I got to keep my job and whine about working from home. My daughter moved into a part of my house that I never used - it is so good to have life in those once cold, empty rooms. My parents both survived having horrible, horrible colds. My sister "moved back home" - out of necessity actually - but she is there to help my parents.

I appreciate the reminder to keep it in perspective and be grateful.

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

nbeaver wrote: 2020 was, hands down, the worst year of my life. Between DH and me, we lost 10 family members--none of them to COVID--aunts, uncles, cousins, but 3 really hard ones: my mom in April, his dad in May, and our sweet daughter-in-law, 23, in a car accident in June. She and DS2 had just celebrated their 4th anniversary. That doesn't even take into account the fact that it was an election year (Yuck!) and the year of COVID. It was a dreadful year.
I am so very sorry for your losses.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

HappyDaze wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:52 am
My brain/mind feel 35, between my knee, shoulder and back, my body feels 90 - I guess my "average age" is a bit over 62. Skipping 2020 gets my vote!
I too don't mentally feel my age - almost 61.

I see people my age with grandkids and some great grandkids and wonder - how is that possible? :shock:

To me to be a grandparent - you have to be OLD - and darnit - we are not!!

And the body aches. For me it started this winter. So weird.