Daily Check in May 12, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Re: Daily Check in May 12, 2021

Post by SandiSAHM »

frugalmom wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:14 pm Btw, are real beignets supposed to be soft like donuts or harder? I had a famous mix from Louisiana Cafe Monde kind I think and when I made it, it was hard(maybe I made it wrong?)? But the grocery store sells one from France which I tried and it was good but like a soft donut-so I was wondering what do real Beignets taste like and the texture? Does anyone know?
Yes. And thank you for this as I can no longer have things made with wheat flours which means I will never have a beignet again, but that's okay - I miss other things more, LOL.

I know nothing of Louisiana beignets but French beignets are light. More air pockets inside than a donut, more... it's not grainy, because the flour is sooo fine. Donuts used to seem more like cake to me and less like pastry, except Krispy Kremes, which are in a different category altogether and just too sweet, like 1/4 of one was all I could eat but I had a friend in high school who could put those things away by the dozen.

At any rate, beignets are light little bites of fluff that isn't very 'sweet' at all, which I guess is why they dust them w/sugar.

Wow I miss wheat. :?
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

SandiSAHM wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:18 pm Yes. And thank you for this as I can no longer have things made with wheat flours which means I will never have a beignet again, but that's okay - I miss other things more, LOL.

I know nothing of Louisiana beignets but French beignets are light. More air pockets inside than a donut, more... it's not grainy, because the flour is sooo fine. Donuts used to seem more like cake to me and less like pastry, except Krispy Kremes, which are in a different category altogether and just too sweet, like 1/4 of one was all I could eat but I had a friend in high school who could put those things away by the dozen.

At any rate, beignets are light little bites of fluff that isn't very 'sweet' at all, which I guess is why they dust them w/sugar.

Wow I miss wheat. :?
I know-they are soooo good but soooo bad I am sure for you! WHY is everything that is so good, sooo bad!? LOL! Yes,maybe i like it bc I never tried beignet and it is not as sweet. Krispy Kremes is too sweet for me as well. We share the donuts and cut it into like 1 inch pieces and drink it with black coffee to cut the sweetness. We actually have one near here but we only get them when my kids get report cards before when younger and they give you donuts for each good grade you get. We haven't done it for awhile though just bc my teen son does not like sweets or junk!
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

clemencia2us wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:29 pm wow already received a text that the COD's tax return was accepted by the IRS!
Filed mine and got it back yesterday. Since dh died in Nov. and he did not get the 600.00 stimulus check, they added it to the small amount he was owed back-from the taxes they took from his pension. Hope they didn’t make a mistake.
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

ownedbydogs wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:46 am Filed mine and got it back yesterday. Since dh died in Nov. and he did not get the 600.00 stimulus check, they added it to the small amount he was owed back-from the taxes they took from his pension. Hope they didn’t make a mistake.
Because of the "language" in the tax form about the $600, we had NOT received it in 2020, but in 2021, so it looked like we were getting an "extra" $1200 back, but I received a letter from the IRS telling me that I had already received it.

Worse comes to worse, you won't get the $600, I wouldn't worry about it.

But letters/notices from the IRS are not fun :roll:

IC
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

frugalmom wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:48 am I know-they are soooo good but soooo bad I am sure for you! WHY is everything that is so good, sooo bad!? LOL! Yes,maybe i like it bc I never tried beignet and it is not as sweet. Krispy Kremes is too sweet for me as well. We share the donuts and cut it into like 1 inch pieces and drink it with black coffee to cut the sweetness. We actually have one near here but we only get them when my kids get report cards before when younger and they give you donuts for each good grade you get. We haven't done it for awhile though just bc my teen son does not like sweets or junk!
I haven't had a Krispy Kreme (or any other donut :lol: ) in... I believe it was 1982, and that was because the friend who could eat them by the dozen wanted those and pink champagne (don't judge, LOL, my Mom is French; there's no real "drinking age," I had sips of wine before I was ten and a glass with dinner by 12-13, so she thought nothing of gifting the friend (families were friends) with what she wanted) for her HS graduation. A quarter donut and half a glass of champagne and I thought I was going to hurl (friend has always had a sweet tooth). I hate champagne.

After the Krispy Kreme in Tulsa opened - long after - my MIL had a box at her house when we went to visit and offered... I warned my kids, you can do what you want but know in advance, these are gross. DH passed because he already knows about them, but the kids tried them. DD couldn't eat the whole thing and has vowed never to touch another. DS ate one and what was left of his sisters, declared them amazing...and twenty minutes later said he felt nauseated and would never eat another donut as long as he lived :lol: I told him, the cake ones aren't so bad; he said "No. No donuts." So far he hasn't run into one to test the resolve.

We don't eat a lot of commercially processed food, it's not a surprise fried refined flour dough would affect both of them poorly.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

SandiSAHM wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:13 pm I haven't had a Krispy Kreme (or any other donut :lol: ) in... I believe it was 1982, and that was because the friend who could eat them by the dozen wanted those and pink champagne (don't judge, LOL, my Mom is French; there's no real "drinking age," I had sips of wine before I was ten and a glass with dinner by 12-13, so she thought nothing of gifting the friend (families were friends) with what she wanted) for her HS graduation. A quarter donut and half a glass of champagne and I thought I was going to hurl (friend has always had a sweet tooth). I hate champagne.

After the Krispy Kreme in Tulsa opened - long after - my MIL had a box at her house when we went to visit and offered... I warned my kids, you can do what you want but know in advance, these are gross. DH passed because he already knows about them, but the kids tried them. DD couldn't eat the whole thing and has vowed never to touch another. DS ate one and what was left of his sisters, declared them amazing...and twenty minutes later said he felt nauseated and would never eat another donut as long as he lived :lol: I told him, the cake ones aren't so bad; he said "No. No donuts." So far he hasn't run into one to test the resolve.

We don't eat a lot of commercially processed food, it's not a surprise fried refined flour dough would affect both of them poorly.
Really? I do not think I ever got sick from a KK donut? Never thought about that bc my stomach is sensitive. My dd just got a whole box yesterday with her roommate bc they are graduating and she was the one that got the last box of donuts and the line behind her was not happy! I told her maybe share those donuts bc you want to fit the svelte and unforgiving white halter dress she got for her grad day! She said I was bringing them home to you guys! Oh I said NO,like I need any donuts yikes-no way! It was bad enough I tried those beignets-and it took us a week at least to finish the little(about 1-1.5 inches in diameter)8 pieces it had (at least that had jelly in it which i liked). My son liked the Nutella filled one or chocolate(forgot which).

Apparently, if anyone is interested See's candies my sister says has new flavor collections they are selling now(I am not into See's). Her dd has a piano recital today and she is allowing them to try See's candy as a treat (first time-she is really strict on giving any junk or sweets even bday cakes!). Of course, my younger sister is very self disciplined when it comes to food,etc and she is like a size 0-2! She is restrictive with the 2 little girls too. I was more a free spirit lol ;) and on birthdays I let them have the cake they wanted and whatever they wanted to eat or for me to cook(usually their favorites). I was not as strict(with food,but strict with other matters) which in retrospect maybe I should have been like her!

I remember when Krispy Kreme first opened up people were waiting 3 hours in line-I told my kids I am NOT waiting in line for a donut no matter how good they say it is! There is just nothing worth waiting in those long lines for anything (only Disneyland I may have no choice bc the lines are all like that during certain times of the year which I don't like either).