Frugal Thought For the Day

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Frugal Thought For the Day

Post by Jackielou »

I thought I would try something new today and depending on how this goes over it will continue for awhile (or at least until I run out of quotes LOL).

Here is today's quote.

“I have learned to seek my happiness by limiting my desires, rather than in attempting to satisfy them.”
― John Stuart Mill

Now how do you seek your happiness? Is it by reckless spending, or is it by well thought out means?
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
chocolite

Re: Frugal Thought For the Day

Post by chocolite »

Good idea, Jackie!

Sometimes I'm guilty of seeking happiness in the wrong places - like buying new clothes - which is stupid because accumulating things really doesn't give me happiness. I actually find true happiness in nature and solitude -- taking a walk in the woods, walking barefoot on the grass, listening to rain on a tin roof, hearing crickets and frogs, seeing a waterfall, hearing and seeing waves crash at the seashore, getting my hands dirty planting flowers in fragrant soil. All things I've been denied in recent years because of my back issues. No wonder I'm depressed, lol. I hope to be back to seeking happiness through nature very soon.
Patty
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I do not think I look for happiness with reckless spending - except maybe puzzles during the pandemic. I’ve never been a shopper.

Strange as it sounds, I have not known where to look for happiness in a long time even though I have so much to be thankful for. Now that I think about it, I think I look to Pippi for happiness. My mom used to call her the smile maker and knew that if I was in a low mood to ask me about Pippi.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

I find happiness in the outdoors....picnics....camping....kayaking...hiking....skiing. I also love to travel around by car...stopping anywhere that looks interesting. DH and I both love the same things...really nice.
Double the happiness when we get to do those things with our kids and grandkids.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackie, I just love the "frugal thoughts" posts - what a great idea!

Happiness to me is having peace. Peace comes from knowing I have taken care of my "business" - staying on top of my budget and knowing where every cent is, keeping things tidy around the house, etc. I dislike drama intensely and find that it takes me away from feeling peaceful. When I don't keep up with things I can't feel peaceful and am not so happy - although I am generally a "glass half full", "bloom where you are planted", hapy person.

I don't confuse happiness with "fun" (I think there are some very unhappy people having fun all the time) although I do realize that they are not mutually exclusive all of the time. I love going on long hikes, going to my book club, etc. You will never find me longing for the latest gadget or a fancy vacation.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz