Daily Check In July 25, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Daily Check In July 25, 2021

Post by HappyDaze »

Good Morning Frugal Friends and Happy Sunday. It has been a delightful weekend so far. Yesterday I decided to play tourist in my own town. I decided I need a day completely OFF and I took it. I went to a new bakery cafe that just opened a couple weeks ago (oh my it's amazing, I get why the line runs out the door and down the sidewalk) and got some goodies to bring home. It was not cheap but you get what you pay for and it was so worth it. This place is comparable to a big city bakery and everything is 100% made right there, from scratch. Two people picked up pre-ordered cakes while I was in line and they were the most beautiful, most creative cakes I have ever seen. They had dog treats too, so of course I picked up some of those. I can't wait to go back with Hope - they welcome friendly dogs and photograph them all for their social media pages.

Then I walked all around town and stopped at the library and signed up for some upcoming craft classes and book club meetings. I signed out some vegetarian and vegan cookbooks and am enjoying those.

Today I need to do some cooking for the upcoming week and a load of laundry. It's a little rainy this morning and humid. It's going to be a good day - and I wish you all the same.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check In July 25, 2021

Post by floridacatlover »

Hello friends.

When Pippi started meowing in my ear at 4 a.m., I led her out of the bedroom and closed the door and went back to bed. I should have fed her and then closed the door and gone back to bed. I’ve been so exhausted. I slept until 8:30 and when I finally gave Pippi her breakfast she ate only half. She’s probably mad at me.

After adding water to her water fountain last night, it stopped working. Finally after cleaning the pump twice I got it going again.

Another free item - can of cat food - at Publix yesterday. Checkout lady scanned it to check if they had more in stock and then never put it through the register scanner. Talking with her, I got distracted and left my debit card in the machine but thankfully the customer behind me called me back.

Today will be a good day because I feel more rested than in many days.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning Sheila and everyone. Been up since around 4:30 AM when a storm rolled through. Teddi was apprehensive but he did not require any botanicals. I petted him and talked soothingly to him. I then got up and did my usual daily things and he finally settled down and went to sleep. We have since then had wave after wave of storms. Nothing drastic but enough that Teddi went under my bed but still he is not freaking out and fell asleep again.

Yesterday I did a lot of outside work in short increments of 10 min. I just left the clipped debris where it fell planning on cleaning it up today. At the time I did not know we would have a rainy day today. So the wind has blown a lot of the debris around. While cutting back the wild grape vines realized they have a a lot more grapes this year compared to other years. I hope they stay on the vines until I can harvest them later. They say wait until first frost but in the past when I have waited they are gone. They are very fragile and fall off of the vines easily. They are not good for eating fresh but can be cooked down to make juice to make jelly. Also I am hoping tp pick some of the larger leaves and pickle them to make dolmas later on. It is fun to see what I can forage for and try to make use of. Due to the wet cold spring we did not have any mulberries so the wild grapes will hopefully be a nice bonus.

Due to the cold wet spring my peaches are not looking good. They are still about the size of ping pong balls and green. I think the sunny days did not arrive in time to make them grow and thrive so they are most likely going to be a loss. My pear tree, which is usually very prolific, does have a lot of pears but the tree is suffereing from an infection due to the last two years of cold wet springs. The fruit is not affected by the infection and safe to eat. However the main trunk is devoid of leaves and fruit. This might be my last year for this tree. My apple tree did well and is loaded with apples. I still need to buy some stove pipe to put around the trunk to prevent the squirrels from stripping the tree like they did last year. Hopefully next month I will have the cash to buy it.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Slept in a bit this morning and will need to get moving really soon. I don't have a great deal to do, but of course I need to make the to do list, and get the calendar ready for the next few weeks of preplanned (not necessarily precooked) meals. I usually do a month ahead, but now am wondering with the weather being the way it is if two weeks at a time would not be better. Perhaps it would be a better way to make sure I use up all the produce in the fridge.

I did not make the pie yesterday, we had a visitor which put me behind schedule a little bit. I will make it today after getting a few outside chores done. Hubby said to harvest all the rhubarb so that is what I will continue with today.

Usual frugal habits are going on around the old homestead. I think I have finally figured out a new challenge for myself. I am going to start it now and hopefully carry it through all next year. Once I know how to explain what I am doing I will put it in the Challenges thread. In actuality it has been something I have been doing all along, but will combine some of my challenges and add a bit to them. We will see how that goes.

Supper tonight is going to be roast chicken. We will save the leftover steak (they really were too big for one meal along with all the sides) for perhaps tomorrow. Then next week will definitely be a clean out the fridge and fridge freezer week. Things are beginning to pile up once again. I see lots of stove top meals coming up.

Today I am grateful that my friend will be home the middle of the week. It has sure been quiet with her not around, and when she gets back she will be spending lots of time with her Dad so while I won't be watering, I probably won't get to see her very much.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning everyone,

I've been to Mass and only bought coffee at the Gourmet grocery store. I did not need anything especially since I am going out of town as of Thursday. It is my annual houseboat trip.

I do have a 30% off coupon to Kohl's. Id' like to stop by and look at some underwear. I may also run down to a mall near my workplace. I heard they opened a Land's End store there. DS1 and family have a busy day, so I will see then Wednesday evening. I will go visit my parents this afternoon.

Have a great day,
Maggie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

good morning all

Tried to sleep in but just kept tossing and turning. Finally just gave up and got up.

Has already been busy. One pup bathed. He's a chihuahua mix so not hard to bathe. I'm having my coffee, have cleaned up and dressed.

One thing i have to do is go by my sisters house and check on her dogs.

She should be coming home tomorrow.

Oh might need to get dog food. They eat a lot!

Have a great day.