Being Frugal - is there anything that you are tired of?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: Being Frugal - is there anything that you are tired of?

Post by Quilter51 »

Not really. In general I frugalize things I don't give a darn about and also have some areas of things that I just don't do. But I do the things I want . For example I buy cage free eggs and eat two a day.but I am more a passive frugality just don't do things typr rather than an active frugality garden sew and coupon type.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:42 am I don’t chase after CVS ECBs or free items. Also I will now buy a grocery item I want (within reason) even if it’s not on sale.

I no longer stay in the cheapest motels/hotels. Traveling with my mom, we stayed in some really questionable places. One in particular I remember turned out to be a hooker hangout. (We still stayed there. Didn’t want to lose the money we’d already paid.) It was always just mom and me. I only remember one weekend trip here in Florida with both mom and dad.

I quit MyPoints, Swagbucks and some older rewards programs when they didn’t seem worth it.
I also quit mypoints and swagbucks - and our local CVS closed - I'm not going to drive 30 miles to go to a different one.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Well this is opposite anti frugal

I did not get a Schwan's order today. They usually stop by twice a month. I spend at least 60 bucks each time. Part of it is guilt - lol. But I do love their food.

the last time the new guy came by he said that I had requested that they only stop if I order online before the day they stop. I don't remember doing that

So I thought -hmm - I should take advantage of that. So I didn't order. And I kept seeing the truck pass by several times on his rounds. I thought he would stop and I would go ahead and get something, but he didn't

But I will order next time. I figure once a month is good.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Like others here have said, I've quit the coupons and "bucks/rewards", stopped running to different stores chasing all the sales, etc. I buy what I need at the store I'm at, unless the price is just crazy.

I also buy the specific product that I really like, rather than constantly trying something else to save a buck on the item, only to not be happy with it, and I either don't use it (thereby wasting ALL the money I spent), or I try to use/eat it, anyway, and that becomes a chore. I like THIS shampoo, THAT laundry detergent, THIS spaghetti sauce, THIS brand of cheese, THESE breads, etc. Many things I like the best are store brands, and while I'm often willing to try something different, if I don't care much for it, I don't keep buying it because it's cheaper.

I am not big on eating fresh produce. We didn't have much beyond iceberg lettuce growing up, so it's never been a habit. But I do eat more of it, now, since I decided that the most important thing is that I get it into my house, in a convenient form. So when I need apples, I buy a bag where I'm at, even if it's $1 more than another store. I like salad kits, and I buy the flavors I like, where I'm at, even if it's $1+ more. I'm not wasting bottles of salad dressing because they go bad before I finish them. A head of lettuce doesn't rot in the fridge because I'm too lazy to prep it. If I have a taste for melon, I buy a slice or container of cubed. Buying a whole melon, cheaper, is a waste of money for me. I won't eat the whole thing.

I think that it all balances out, spending-wise. I'm happy with what I buy, I use/eat it. I'm not literally throwing away it away.
ohjodi
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

I'm tired of the "make do" part. I've decided not to hold on to stuff that doesn't work or work well; or is wearing out.

And it really doesn't cost much to replace some of these things. The simple $3 kitchen shears work quite well; so does the $10 set of shower curtain rings. My sanity is worth more than the $13, LOL!
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Another thing I just thought of - except for as a once in a while treat, I quit baking my own bread. I buy 100% whole wheat bread at Dollar Tree instead. With the cost of the ingredients, my time, and using the electric oven (estimated cost around .32 cents per hour), I can scarcely make bread for much less.

Maybe when winter comes around again I will make more homemade bread - the heat from the oven does a bang up job of warming up the house.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz