Daily Check In September 24, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Prairie Waif2

Re: Daily Check In September 24, 2021

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Update:

I am going with mac&cheese for supper. I am adding in some of the pepperoni that my neighbor left me in the goodie boxes he gave me when he moved back to British Columbia. I'm actually looking forward to it despite this being Pizza Palooza night. :D

I forgot that I signed up for a Zoom Conference for the Canadian Association of Geographer: Prairie Division annual conference. It is being hosted by the geography department I graduated from at Brandon University here in town. It is all virtual so I never even have to leave the house! Tonight is a really good presentation by the head of the Manitoba Historical Society who used to teach Biology at Brandon University. He now teaches at University of Manitoba in Winnipeg. He has a weekly show (Sunday mornings) on CBC that I always listen to called Abandoned Manitoba where he talks about cool stuff that has been abandoned or forgotten about through time. Tonight he is the keynote speaker and it begins at 7:30 Manitoba time. This is the kind of stuff I LOVED to study at school and did quite a few research papers on it during my undergrad. I just enjoy and love it so much!!

Here is an abstract about what he will discuss tonight:ABSTRACT:
This presentation will describe a 12-year project of the Manitoba Historical Society to develop a comprehensive online inventory of historic sites around the province. Using GPS data, field photography including aerial imagery taken with drones, and archival research, we will show how abandoned places reveal the ways in which rural Manitoba has changed through the 20th century, in terms of depopulation, agricultural mechanization, development of telecommunication and electrical infrastructure, changes in construction methods, evolution of the education system, changing attitudes to organized religion and institutions, and home-front involvement in wartime. Possible applications of this inventory for heritage conservation, promotion of tourism, and education, as well as implications for rural planning and policy development, will be discussed.

I'm just SO EXCITED to be able to visit the conference. I so loved going to them every year as a student and hearing the papers and research that was presented. Tomorrow is when the papers are given. I am really looking forward to a few in particular, one is on Climate warming on the prairies, another is on hydrology and groundwater resupply, and another is on glaciation and the effects in an area I've forgotten which area. The geographers come from universities all over North Dakota, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Some of the guys that will be presenting I went to university with back in the day (I graduated in 1993) and some of the profs are still the ones I remember and are still teaching and researching. I'll have to get up early to hear the papers that last all day. Not sure if I'll just listen to the ones I'm most interested in or continue throughout the day.

I am just so excited I could split from happiness. This is my GIG and what I had hoped to do when I started Graduate School at Trent University in Peterborough, Ontario. So, tomorrow? I get to feed my past dream some and remember what I love so much.

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In September 24, 2021

Post by Jackielou »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:43 pm Update:

I am going with mac&cheese for supper. I am adding in some of the pepperoni that my neighbor left me in the goodie boxes he gave me when he moved back to British Columbia. I'm actually looking forward to it despite this being Pizza Palooza night. :D

I forgot that I signed up for a Zoom Conference for the Canadian Association of Geographer: Prairie Division annual conference. It is being hosted by the geography department I graduated from at Brandon University here in town. It is all virtual so I never even have to leave the house! Tonight is a really good presentation by the head of the Manitoba Historical Society who used to teach Biology at Brandon University. He now teaches at University of Manitoba in Winnipeg. He has a weekly show (Sunday mornings) on CBC that I always listen to called Abandoned Manitoba where he talks about cool stuff that has been abandoned or forgotten about through time. Tonight he is the keynote speaker and it begins at 7:30 Manitoba time. This is the kind of stuff I LOVED to study at school and did quite a few research papers on it during my undergrad. I just enjoy and love it so much!!

Here is an abstract about what he will discuss tonight:ABSTRACT:
This presentation will describe a 12-year project of the Manitoba Historical Society to develop a comprehensive online inventory of historic sites around the province. Using GPS data, field photography including aerial imagery taken with drones, and archival research, we will show how abandoned places reveal the ways in which rural Manitoba has changed through the 20th century, in terms of depopulation, agricultural mechanization, development of telecommunication and electrical infrastructure, changes in construction methods, evolution of the education system, changing attitudes to organized religion and institutions, and home-front involvement in wartime. Possible applications of this inventory for heritage conservation, promotion of tourism, and education, as well as implications for rural planning and policy development, will be discussed.

I'm just SO EXCITED to be able to visit the conference. I so loved going to them every year as a student and hearing the papers and research that was presented. Tomorrow is when the papers are given. I am really looking forward to a few in particular, one is on Climate warming on the prairies, another is on hydrology and groundwater resupply, and another is on glaciation and the effects in an area I've forgotten which area. The geographers come from universities all over North Dakota, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Some of the guys that will be presenting I went to university with back in the day (I graduated in 1993) and some of the profs are still the ones I remember and are still teaching and researching. I'll have to get up early to hear the papers that last all day. Not sure if I'll just listen to the ones I'm most interested in or continue throughout the day.

I am just so excited I could split from happiness. This is my GIG and what I had hoped to do when I started Graduate School at Trent University in Peterborough, Ontario. So, tomorrow? I get to feed my past dream some and remember what I love so much.

MJ
Our oldest son worked on a few of those historic sites with Lakehead University as an archeologist over quite a few summers. We went to visit the site he was working on one summer.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/