Are you stockpiling (still? again?)

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LWolfT

Re: Are you stockpiling (still? again?)

Post by LWolfT »

In one sense, we're continually stockpiling, LOL!
I, too, bought the Progresso soups when they went on sale here, since they make a good, quick lunch. But if I find a good sale/coupon/ markdown price on things we'll use, I get an extra one or two. (I have noticed that markdown prices have gone up, too.)

I still notice empty spots/unavailable products at the stores. Though I'm also wondering if some stores just don't have enough stockers to keep the shelves filled.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

I always keep a stock pile, but it has grown.
I have been seeing shortages and limits in our Aldi's but really can't say about other stores as I usually don't shop them.

I do go to DG and have noticed empty shelves, manager said problems getting drivers for truck deliveries.

I really wish I could store produce for a longer period of time but not possible.
Next up for the stockpile is sweet potatoes, we seem to eat a lot of them.

Prices are up on almost everything I buy.

JCKitty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Like LWolfT, I think we frugal people are always stockpiling because that's how we shop. Last week the grocery store had crazy good sales on mac and cheese, Knorr rice and noodle mixes, Rice a Roni and corn muffin mix, so I stocked the pantry. Anyone looking at our grocery cart would have thought my family had a serious carb problem! :-D

Some other week it will be peanut butter, and then canned tomatoes, beans, etc.
Mackie
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Part of my reason for being SO broke at the end of this month may have been due to "stockpiling." I bought lots of items I eat every month when they were on sale at the start of the month. It's mostly used up now though.

I did find the 12 rolls of toilet paper on sale for $4.99 instead of $10.99 and that stockpile was buying 4 packages that will last quite a while. I don't like to pay more than $5.99 if I can find them on sale at my local Sobeys.

I haven't seen anything missing from the shelves except one time during the summer when all the pickles were out. An odd thing to run out of!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

I would if I had more room. I am keeping and extra, large pkg of toilet paper in the garage and I buy packs of cans of things like tuna, tomatoes, black beans and Rotel out there too. Since I am trying hard not to eat too many carbs, I don't have a big stockpile of those. I've love to have a big freezer to stock, but there is a Kroger literally across the street.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

I used to let myself run nearly out of things before buying more. But the stripped-shelves at the start of 2020, and the need to stay out of the stores as much as possible to avoid covid, has caused me to always have a small stock of certain must-have brand items on hand.

Charmin Sensitive-- I buy again when I'm down to three 6-roll packs.
Seventh Generation dish soap -- I buy 6-packs from Amazon, and buy again when I have two bottles left.
Seventh Generation laundry soap -- I will buy 2 jugs when I have 1/2 jug left (but this could take forever, lol)
Hippo Sak trash bags -- I buy a 90 ct box from Amazon, instead of 15-ct boxes from my store.
Pam cooking spray --- some months back I couldn't find it anywhere, so when I did I bought two cans. When I'm down to 1/2 can I'll buy two more. I know this isn't a NEED, but other brands are awful, which is why I never used any. But Pam is great, and it cuts my butter and oil consumption.

Other things I buy 1-2 of, when I've still got one left......butter, dozen eggs, Aldi turkey bacon, sourdough bread, bagged salad (I buy 2-3 at a time) , Fage full fat greek yogurt, distilled water gallons for my CPAP machine.

I am stocking up on the big cans of Aldi German soups.... two different lentil soups, and pea soup, because they are delicious, and winter is coming. I do doctor them up, though.

Anyway, it's nice not shopping as often as I did, especially in the winter.
ohjodi