Daily Check in Oct 27, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check in Oct 27, 2021

Post by floridacatlover »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:12 pm I am back from seeing HB, who was awake and looking much better. He is off supplemental oxygen right now, although he may go back on it as his chest is still awfully rattlely. The stroke paralyzed his throat, so he can't speak or swallow. He's being tube-fed. He is communicating through hand gestures and understands everything he's told.

The nurse said that once they get his blood clots and chest infection resolved, they will find a rehab facility for him that can teach him how to walk, swallow and hopefully talk again.

He pointed at the ceiling and made a swirling motion in the air and then pointed to his chest. I said, "Yes, everyone is praying for you." He made the okay sign and a thumb's up. I said, "My Catholic friend even lighted a candle." He put up two fingers. I said, "You want TWO candles?" And he nodded very decisively!

So Jackie, if it's okay, two candles, please. :-D
I’m glad that HB is better. I hope that he does not have a difficult time getting off the feeding tube. My dad had the tubes several times after strokes but did get off the tube but always had to have thickened liquids. The past two nights I asked God to give HB a second chance at life and explained (although God already knows) how far HB has come in the last two years. I am not super religious but I know that God sent you to HB’s life when he did, Mackie, because he knew you’d help him.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Thank you, Jackie and JCKitty.

That's good to know, Florida Cat. HB already pretty much lived off nutritional shakes due to his digestive issues, so it won't be a hard transition to make if he has to. I am hoping he'll be able to overcome this. His eye on the affected side has recovered and was tracking correctly today, although the side of his mouth hasn't returned to normal yet.

I read something about prayer once that has always stuck with me: that God knows what we need, but we grow closer to Him by opening our hearts and telling Him what we need, and by thanking Him for all His blessings. It has pretty much formed how I pray now.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I managed to fight the DQ burger craving. Why buy when we already have food here??

So I made a big salad for a late lunch. Hit the spot. The store now carries thick cut shredded cheese. And I gotta have my bacon bits and croutons. Mmmm

Too bad no homegrown tomatoes. I should grill up some chicken and keep on hand for the salad.

It is sunny but windy. I hate the wind. Should stop this evening.

Hope all have a great afternoon. Thank goodness HB and baby are okay.
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Good afternoon,
I am still doing the pre-school gig which I am enjoying. My back really bothered me over the weekend so I stayed down as much as I could. It is much better now. DD suggested and I agreed that losing a bunch of weight could help with the back issues so I am working on that. I am focusing on cleaner, unprocessed foods and eating less in general. I think it has started to help a little. Time will tell.

I have not had to get as much food this month due to eating less but still take advantage of the deals and coupons for stocking up. Inflation is sucking us dry as it is everyone so I am being careful with the shopping, oly getting what we will use and avoiding sweets and snack foods. I have been able to stay ot of the candy I have put away for trick or treating.

Weather has been great all month! This has been the best October we have had in years and I am sad to see it come to an end. Now on to the holidays.

My thoughts are going to HB, the new mom and baby and everyone else dealing with health issues. I hope all get better soon.

Bev
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

So I got an offer earlier this morning for a $ 20 off shop thru the insta cart. Had to be $10 off 0f 2- $35 min orders
This is no problem for me, I ordered from the "big" grocery store after looking at their ad on line, ribs, ground beef and arm roasts. excellent sale prices and I ordered just enough to get to the minimum.
Then I put in an order from Aldi's for whole chickens and my coffee...same gig, just enough to hit the minimum on things that I use, are low in price , on sale or a special. Except for the coffee, it never goes on sale. I always watch my total and when it says I need 3 or less to hit the minimum I hit the coffee button.
I have free delivery and 1.00 service charge until end of January. I try to make it work in my favor and this week I was super lucky because meat has not been on sale for quite some time....unless it is processed meats.
I have noticed insta cart is not offering as many choices for delivery times....maybe more of their drivers/shoppers have gone back to work? It works out for me because I am home most of the time anyway.

JCKitty
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Hey everyone,

I was originally on the schedule to work not only Thanksgiving, but Christmas Eve and Christmas day. So this morning I sent an email to my manager asking if i could get on of those days off. She gave me both. My Indian co-worker is taking the week after Christmas off, so he is working those days. Makes me feel so much better.

I have bean soaking so I can make soup tomorrow.

To morrow we are doing a "tabletop exercise" where we will be presented with Security issues and we need to respond via email of what our steps would be. There are four of us working as a team on this.

Have a nice evening.

Maggie