Daily Check In November 21, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Mrscreative

Re: Daily Check In November 21, 2021

Post by Mrscreative »

Good afternoon beautiful people,

It was snowing out earlier and now the sun is shining. I think a nice, long walk is beckoning me! In the morning Dh and I made yet another trip to Canadian Tire for a specialized battery for our remote control which controls the outside Christmas lights and block heater for the car. Important to have and always wise to think ahead. We also made a very quick stop at a local grocery store that had turkey thighs on sale. Dh is craving that for dinner.

I am trying out a new recipe for creamed corn which is cooked in the slow cooker. I am starting to post some easy Christmas cookie recipes on Facebook, my take on an advent calendar I can share with everyone. As time progresses I will get around to posting on Instagram too, but have no photos to go along with them at this time. I am certainly more into Christmas this year than last.

At least the slippery roads prevented me from being tempted to go to the many craft fairs going on today.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Creative
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

We have been to the grocery store, which had restocked canned beans since last week but this week was almost out of bananas, milk, and certain kinds of soft drinks. A lot of slots for frozen meals were empty too. Not much left in the way of eggs. Even the $4.99 a dozen free range organic eggs were sold out.

I managed to get four bananas and a half gallon of milk for cooking. The total was ridiculously high: $137. We bought all people food except for about $10 spent for cat and dog treats.
Mackie
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne apres midi toute mes amis!

Thank you all for the wonderful words of support. Yes, I have really good friends. Doc. E and Elaine have been my friends for over 3 decades and before they moved back to England, we'd get together for supper and a beer occasionally. I really spent a lot of time crying last night because of relief, I think, that I will have a computer that will function. They told me to pick whatever kind I wanted off of Amazon. I found a very suitable "Renewed" one that is the same model as I have now, for only $260. That is over $150 cheaper than what I paid for this one. I didn't want them to have to spend to much and I really like this model. It comes with a full year warranty so it's basically what I would have gotten on a "brand spanking" new model without the $400 plus cost.

I have 37% charge left and thought I'd check-in. I was able to wiggle it to connect and hold it still for 45 minutes to get it charged last night. I have tried today, nope, not gonna go. I met up with my computer Tech Guru and she got all of the stuff off of this Google Chromebook transferred to the Google "cloud" and so when the renewed model comes, all of my bookmarks, shortcuts, documents and photos will be accessible still. We met at the coffee shop and she bought me a hot chocolate and gave me $5.00 so I could go to Shoppers Drug Mart and get some Pop (As per her instructions). So, this computer will die out sometime and I have a weird set-up to drag out of a closet to put together. I have an old laptop that had the keyboard die. I was able to use it until I got a new computer by using an external plugged-in keyboard. It is a bit of a schlemozzle but it will work until the other arrives which Elaine thinks will be Friday.

I had some of my nice baked beans for lunch and supper will be rice with cream of mushroom soup. It's an easy meal and I like it so it works. I might make up a batch of those fluffy baking powder biscuits too. It makes a small batch of 6 so that gives me breakfast and a couple of more meals.

I bought some coffee creamer when I was at Shoppers and put it in my portable grocery bag along with the pop that was on sale. Well, I got in the house and it either fell out in the parking lot or the van. I am hoping it is in the van. I have to go get it before it freezes and burst all over inside, if it is in the van. Plus, I want a cup of coffee!

Thank you all for being such good and supportive friends. I only hope I can give as good as I get.

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Thought I would update y'all on a matter that I mentioned a few months or weeks ago

This concerned my second ex-husband.

That I had received phone calls from a medical examiner office stating that he had passed away and that I was the only person they could find to contact. And yes, I sort of just brushed it off after thinking it was a a scam. I did look for his siblings and joined a community page for his hometown

Well then about three weeks ago I received a letter from the Veterans Life Insurance Program. We have insurance while in active duty and can switch over to this when we retire. He was retired from the air force

Well I was named as his beneficiary. I've been just going back and forth about even thinking of turning in the form to claim it. It is not a huge sum. I finally told my family and they said that I should do it and maybe do things with it for others. So I called them and they said to fax in the form. They also want a death certificate, so I sent off for that via the state files.

I'm thinking I could at least fund a spay and neuter mobile clinic for the town. But we shall see how it goes.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Have to process other info I learned on the little weekend getaway

It was hard to understand why my older sibling had such a weird way of thinking.

And how it affected my niece. And also older sibling's twin and how her daughter turned out. Doing well but now in therapy

Do parents parent differently? My parents never stopped us from doing anything we wanted. Might have been poor, but found a way.

Maybe they didn't pay attention. Very confusing.

Niece mentioned about not knowing about college - and I said hello you other aunt was in college when you graduated - we - your aunts and uncles had attended. What was so hard about not "knowing". Kind of makes me mad in a way -- but what can you do now?
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

clemencia2us wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:30 pm Thought I would update y'all on a matter that I mentioned a few months or weeks ago

This concerned my second ex-husband.

That I had received phone calls from a medical examiner office stating that he had passed away and that I was the only person they could find to contact. And yes, I sort of just brushed it off after thinking it was a a scam. I did look for his siblings and joined a community page for his hometown

Well then about three weeks ago I received a letter from the Veterans Life Insurance Program. We have insurance while in active duty and can switch over to this when we retire. He was retired from the air force

Well I was named as his beneficiary. I've been just going back and forth about even thinking of turning in the form to claim it. It is not a huge sum. I finally told my family and they said that I should do it and maybe do things with it for others. So I called them and they said to fax in the form. They also want a death certificate, so I sent off for that via the state files.

I'm thinking I could at least fund a spay and neuter mobile clinic for the town. But we shall see how it goes.
Claim the money IMO. If not it will revert to the insurance company. I am not a fan of insurance companies.

You do SO much for the animals in your area, paying for spaying and neutering and other care out of your own pocket for strays. Plus taking in so many homeless animals.

Take the money. I’m 100% confident you will use it well.