Aldis

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ChristmasTrees

Aldis

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Is there anything from Aldis that you don't like?
Anything that is especially good?
Thanks.
jstore97

Re: Aldis

Post by jstore97 »

Their spiral cut glazed hams are phenomenal! The only kind I will buy. I also enjoy the street corn dip (which is dangerous and addicting for me) and their hummus is good.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I wish I had an Aldis....
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

I LOVE ALDI's. There isn't much that I don't like, there. Aldi's is a carnival of amazing stuff! And I find it very entertaining to shop there, because they bring in new stuff every week, often in "themes" like German foods, Mexican, Asian, etc.

If you don't like something of one of their own brands, they will refund your money, AND give you a free item to replace it.

Things I do NOT care for, are canned green beans (too many strings and ends), canned tomatoes (hard unripe pieces, bland), tomato sauce and paste (bland), the regular boxed mac & cheese (not much flavor), the lowest price spaghetti sauce (it's not bad, but I have to do a lot of fixing to it, all of the others are very good), cake mix (bland and spongey), frozen orange juice (too acidic), polish and smoked sausage (greasy), cottage cheese (grainy, no flavor, but the only brand I like is Prairie Farms, anyway), the "Hellman's/Best Foods style" mayo (honestly, if you're a Hellman's fan, then don't bother with store brands, lol), regular ketchup (the organic is awesome), I don't care for any of the peanut butters. canned and boxed broths (i haven't tried them all, though, maybe they've improved over the last few years).

There's too much to list of the things that I like, but some of the must-haves for me are: CHOCOLATE, omg the Choceur chocolate brand is great (I swear it must be Lindt in disguise). The other brands are great, too, including the chocolate chips. Turkey bacon (this is really good, IMO, much better than any other brands I've tried), pouch tuna, sourdough bread (and most other breads I've tried are very good), cheeses (Aldi's has alllll the cheeses you could could ever want), organic ketchup, mustards (they have several) 100% maple syrup, Irish butter, Cafe Bustelo coffee (my dad likes it, I don't drink coffee, so I don't know), LOW-CARB tortillas (80 cal, 2g fat, 11G carb, and 7G FIBER (more fiber than bran cereal!)), frozen peas/mixed vegs/broc/etc (they actually smell and taste garden-fresh), Herbs & spices, brownie mix, the Ben & Jerry's type ice cream, Boulder Ultra paper towels (I swear it's Bounty with a slightly different quilting on it, I compared them), trash bags.....

Things I rarely buy, or have at least tried, but are very good: Nuts and trail mixes (taste very fresh), potato chips and other snacks, granola type bars, crackers, pizzas, novelty ice cream treats, cookies, the baked goods, hams of all kinds, canned corned beef hash (delicious but deadly, lol).

My stepmom likes the fresh meats, especially the pork, she says. I usually buy fresh meat at a different locally -owned store that I'm loyal to, they have great meat and prices. I never buy fresh meat at walmart.

I love Aldi's. 35 years ago it was very bleh and boring. They really started turning things around 15 years ago.
ohjodi
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I love aldis. It's not a one stop shop for me. I do think their produce goes bad faster and as a single person I shop for that elsewhere. But I also get at of the precut stuff which they don't have. I shoptheir specials and their meats and of course the center aisle of shame. Cheese, wine and beer, cereal, bread and seasonal specials and canned goods and so on I buy.

What I do NOT buy there are paper products and personal items
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I don't like their canned soups, but really liked everything else we buy there. However, aside from tomato products, we don't buy a lot of canned veggies, so I can't speak to the quality of most. Bread, pork, dairy and chocolate can't be beat. Their almond milk is delicious. Good inexpensive wine too.

I had no problem with the paper towels, toilet tissue, foil, etc. When we had three cats, we bought our cat litter there too.
Mackie