Daily Check In December 7, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In December 7, 2021

Post by Jackielou »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:12 am I have a wee story for you all. :)

My Dad was born on this day 95, year ago; December 7, 1926.

When he was a kid, he and his Dad would go into town and Nelson's Department Store had a grocery attached at the back (It was still there when we moved to Luverne, MN in 1969). This would have been in the 1930's and early 1940's. It was one of those old stores with the broad pine floors, the tin plate ceilings and all the wooden barrels full of dry goods and such with big metal scoops in them.

From Thanksgiving until just after the New Year was DAD's time of year. His happiest. Nori always made him candy and "dog food." We soon were all asking for dog food to be made at Christmas time and others would look at us like we'd lost our minds. :mrgreen: Well, when Dad was a little boy, he and his Dad would go to Nelson's Grocery to get somethings for Grandma and some Candy for themselves. Turns out the big, old store dog slept on top of the barrel that help the peanut brittle and from then on it became known as "Dog Food!" LOL

Every year, I try to find some. Our Sobeys made some a few years ago and it was very good. They didn't have any last year. Jackie, if you have any time, could you post your recipe? I'll get out my candy thermometer and get going!

MJ
Sure, I will probably post it later today.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

MJ, you just brought back a wonderful memory: my dad used to make peanut brittle when we were little, and it was wonderful. He'd line an old tin pan with foil, grease it with butter, and pour in the hot brittle. There was always the impatient waiting for it to cool enough to be turned out of the pan and the foil peeled off.

Good morning, frugal friends. It's a cold morning here in Tennessee. I had to hit the ground running this morning, as the bathroom where the plumber is going to work had to be cleaned up this morning before I left for work. It's a narrow room, so everything that would get in anyone's way replacing a toilet had to be relocated and the floor cleaned. I sure wouldn't want to lie on a dirty floor!

I expect to have a busy workday like yesterday. DH and I went to bed before 10:30 last night because we were both quite tired.

Last night I received Ollie Cat's new allergy prescription by email ($123 - ouch) and went ahead and ordered it. It's a liquid medication and he gets only a small dose every day, so I hope this goes well. He's always been so healthy up to now that we've rarely had to give him medication.

We do have a savings account for pet expenses and will have to tap that if he needs to see the veterinary allergist, as Lily Dog's two visits there came to about $1,000. It was definitely worth it for her, though. She sailed through ragweed season this year without any real trouble.

Hope you all have a peaceful day.
Mackie
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Feeling a bit better than yesterday and the sun being out might be a part of the reason.

Just finished making my salads for the next week. Since I learned how to keep the lettuce from getting soggy, I've been making them in quantities of 6 or 7 at a time.

Have decided that I will start my decluttering after the 1st of the new year and keep this month free to enjoy the holidays. Still in the prep stages of my Virtual Christmas 2021. Can't make up my mind if it will be a large resort or just a small family lodge.

Well, gotta run.

Have a great day.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:46 am Bonne matin mes amis!

Whew! I tried to sign in starting at about 6:00pm last night but things got really busy.

Florida,
I said a prayer for Pippi last night and this morning. I know she is your darling girl and I hope she rallies. You are such a loving Cat Mom, she knows how much you love her. That makes all the difference in the world in the live of a companion like Pippi.

Today is a historical day, especially in my family. It is my Dad's 95th birthday and also 80 years since Pearl Harbour was attacked on his 15th birthday and see him shipping out to war in the US Pacific Fleet at age 17. Every year we gave him a carefully selected toy on his birthday, it was a family tradition for a few generations. At Noon (Central Time), the USA Navy Memorial in Washington D.C. is putting on a large tribute for the 80th Anniversary. I registered to watch it free online. Historical Speeches, music, speakers and more. I am really looking forward to it. Here is the post from the Memorial in Washington D.C. If anyone else is interested and wants to register.
In case you missed it, the U.S. Navy Memorial will host our National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day Wreath Laying Ceremony on Tuesday @ 1 p.m. on our outdoor plaza.
It will be a powerful tribute to our nation's history featuring Navy customs and traditions, emotional storytelling, and a moment of pause for those who were lost.
Join us in person or register to view the full ceremony online:

https://navymemorial.swoogo.com/nationalpearlharbor.../begin

I was headed out to Shoppers Drug Mart yesterday about 3:15 pm. I went out and at the time, with the windchill it was -30C. I have a nice winter parka I got used for $30 so didn't really feel it as I started the Van and then started to clean off the front and back windows. I went to get into the van and UGH! :o I'd locked myself out!! I knew it had about an 8th of a tank of gas in there and wondered what to do. So, of course, what I ALWAYS do is blame my own stupidity and beat myself up. Sigh. Then, I came back inside, I had to get the neighbor up from a nap to let me in as my security keys were in the van. I hadn't locked my apartment door so I was able to come in and message Zoe to see if she had an extra key and message my friend who is a retired RCMP officer to see if she had any idea. WHEW! Zoe had an extra set and came across town to unlock me. I went and put a half a tank of gas in the van (a good idea to always have half a tank to prevent ice crystals in the tank, so I've been told) and then got my items at Shoppers and came home to thaw out.

Then, just as I finished reading the page, I got a message from Zoe. John had come home and had an incident at work. He installs, crawls up high satellite towers and installs and repairs satellite equipment. He was doing a new installation and the cold air of the day and hanging on to cold metal did it. He came home with deep frostbite. We went back and forth until almost 11 keeping track of him. As of then, he was still in ER, had had a pain medication shot (he said it was the worst pain he'd ever felt and he was injured in and IED attack in Afghanistan), was told he might lose some fingernails and was waiting to see what the next diagnostic procedure was going to be. We are quite worried about him. Zoe said his hand was swollen to twice its normal size and it's color was grey/white. I'm waiting to hear this morning what the other results will be, hopefully it is good news. His hand will definitely blister and he'll have to watch out for infection on those. Yikes, he's like a brother to me. I want him to be okay!!

At the same time, I was getting messages from another friend asking about a colonoscopy prep. I told her to be prepared and get some extra panties in the bathroom, lots of toilet paper and to get some 7-up and Ginger ale to kill that fake fruit taste of the prep. We then laughed as she tried all night to slug that stuff back. I've got to check in on her tomorrow too.

Today's plans include making some more of Clem's beans and a dozen Mini Muffins again. I have some other cleaning I want to do in the kitchen so that will fill my day.

With this cold, now the COLD air comes in off my lovely big windows. It was freezing in here last night. I'm so glad that a few years ago I invested in an electric couch throw and a space heater. I pretty much stay in wrapped in my blanket and switch on the space heater now and again to chase away the chill. The people on the third floor are ROASTING and have their balcony doors open and here on my side of the first floor we freeze!!

Breakfast is an egg on toast, lunch is my two hot dogs and supper is beans with sour cream and cheese!!

That's the skinny from around here!!

MJ
MJ I am sorry to hear about your friend John. I hope he will heal quickly. I have said a prayer for him and will keep him in my thoughts and prayers for quick healing.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning, everyone. Not much going on here.

I plan on getting my tree up today and finish my decorating.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Hello everyone, '

Taking my second-to-last PTO day for the year. I went to the police station to have my fingerprints taken. I needed ink fingerprints rather than electronic. My client requiring the background check will only except electronic fingerprints from in state. Next I need to run to the post office and mail them in.

We have an old Arcade Building downtown. It was vacant for about 26 years and in 2019 they began refurbishing it. Today al of the apartments and office spaces are occupied. But for the next few days they are having a bit of an open house with some Christmas activities. I will go down this afternoon and probably my parents will go too.

Those are my big plans.
Have a great day,
Maggie