What to get the person who has everything?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

What to get the person who has everything?

Post by SandiSAHM »

A friend has a milestone birthday coming up; we've been invited to the party. I can't think of a thing this person needs - they don't drink so the default bottle of (insert alcoholic beverage here) is out, they have no 'normal' hobbies - there's nothing I'm going to buy them for their already tricked-out toys that they either don't already have or couldn't buy in a higher price bracket, have no interest in going to the movies, theatre (it was just closed re: covid again anyway), or concerts...

A heartfelt card, got that covered. I like the person but there's not a single thing that I would appreciate, if someone gifted it, that this person either doesn't have or doesn't want. Plants are out, their thumbs are even more destructive than my "black thumb" issue (and I've killed cactus, so it's...bad).

(Oddly, this is not the same person who was so desperately ill in 2020 - though they do hang out together. That person is still fighting the good fight against cancer and living on a time extension, by the grace of God. The alternative therapies are ongoing, there's been one surgery and another is on the horizon. Stupid tumors keep popping up, so they keep taking them out.)

Ideas are welcome :)
MackerelCat

Re: What to get the person who has everything?

Post by MackerelCat »

Is there any cause dear to their hearts you could make a contribution to in their honor?
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I like Mackie's idea.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Depending on the budget and tastes and sense of humor., and how close you are....of they have a garden a piece of yard art. There is a series of books on Amazon called things to do when you turn 70 or 50 or whatever. If someone else isn't doing it and it is a party situation a really good quality notebook and pens with a page for each person to write a memory or good wishes or whatever. Frame one if those year you were bowen posters. Anything luxurious and small that lead to comfort. Flowers. Really good chocolate our gourmet basket. I'm not opposed to donations IF you feel you know them well.to know where her heart is for that one true cause.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:58 pm A friend has a milestone birthday coming up; we've been invited to the party. I can't think of a thing this person needs - they don't drink so the default bottle of (insert alcoholic beverage here) is out, they have no 'normal' hobbies - there's nothing I'm going to buy them for their already tricked-out toys that they either don't already have or couldn't buy in a higher price bracket, have no interest in going to the movies, theatre (it was just closed re: covid again anyway), or concerts...

A heartfelt card, got that covered. I like the person but there's not a single thing that I would appreciate, if someone gifted it, that this person either doesn't have or doesn't want. Plants are out, their thumbs are even more destructive than my "black thumb" issue (and I've killed cactus, so it's...bad).

(Oddly, this is not the same person who was so desperately ill in 2020 - though they do hang out together. That person is still fighting the good fight against cancer and living on a time extension, by the grace of God. The alternative therapies are ongoing, there's been one surgery and another is on the horizon. Stupid tumors keep popping up, so they keep taking them out.)

Ideas are welcome :)
Do they cook? If so, a basket with specialty oils/vinegars, or steak rubs/barbecue items, etc. (whatever "thing" they enjoy). Flowers are always a lovely gift imho. Really, for a person like that, anything you give them will just be a token of your friendship - so trust yourself to settle on the right thing.
Patty
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Honestly? A week or so after the birthday I'd bring them a homemade lasagna, stew, chili, or something like that. A bag of salad and some bread, and they're all set. Or a couple smaller casseroles for the freezer. Or easy baked goods like quick bread loaves, coffee cake.
ohjodi