What to get the person who has everything?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Re: What to get the person who has everything?

Post by SandiSAHM »

! Turns out their spouse has set this party up at a restaurant that is normally closed on the date of the event but will open for the group only. It's their favorite spot downtown. Everyone's paying for their own meal.

I'm sure some etiquette columnists are spinning in their graves :shock: as it is typically frowned upon to invite people to a party and have it be a byod (buy your own dinner, LOL). But it makes it easy, we'll just make sure the spouse knows we're buying them dinner. The problem solved itself!

Never been to this restaurant, it's name sounds very 'carnivore.' :lol: Friend is a vegetarian (we hang with a lot of those, makes get-togethers easy, usually). Should be interesting!

Thanks for your help, I'll use a lot of the suggestions for other folks!
GMPG54

Post by GMPG54 »

How about a nice picture of the birthday person, alone or with their loved ones in a pretty frame?
Easy easy and inexpensive.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Gift giving stumps me in the best of circumstances. I'm not good at it and, while it is NOT that I don't want to give to others, I do not enjoy it. I fall back on gift cards, scratch off tickets and cash way too frequently.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Sheila - I can't bring myself to give another full-grown adult who makes more than I do cash as a gift. If they need it, sure (clandestinely, usually, except in situations like the other friend who's battling cancer). I prefer gifting teens, they're more fun, if you know their hobbies and interests.

Restaurant backed out because of too few workers (covid). It worked out though; people were assigned what to bring by the spouse, it was more of a potluck than anything else. I ended up doing a lot of veggie preparation. The surprise tactic was about 49% successful, the spouse made cake and the guest of honor could not figure out why they would take an entire cake to an appointment with one other couple...then they saw all the cars and put two and two together...
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

SandiSAHM wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:44 pm Sheila - I can't bring myself to give another full-grown adult who makes more than I do cash as a gift. If they need it, sure (clandestinely, usually, except in situations like the other friend who's battling cancer). I prefer gifting teens, they're more fun, if you know their hobbies and interests.

Restaurant backed out because of too few workers (covid). It worked out though; people were assigned what to bring by the spouse, it was more of a potluck than anything else. I ended up doing a lot of veggie preparation. The surprise tactic was about 49% successful, the spouse made cake and the guest of honor could not figure out why they would take an entire cake to an appointment with one other couple...then they saw all the cars and put two and two together...
I am glad it worked out. I am just not a good gift giver overall, especially when it comes to adults. It's not that I don't want to give - I just don't have "the knack" for picking out a present that is personal, meaningful, appropriate, etc. It is not a process I enjoy. Granted, some people are easier to gift than others - if you know of a want or a need it makes it so much easier.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
GJspins

Post by GJspins »

I'm glad that the party worked out okay.

I'm with some others who posted that they have no idea on what to buy for others.

However, you all have given such great ideas that I might have to write them down to use for the future. :)