Daily Check in Jan 21, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check in Jan 21, 2022

Post by alliesmama4 »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:21 am Good morning! A frosty 4 degrees.
Same old here....
My 13 year old granddaughter wants to have sleepover tonight..16 yr. old will most likely join in. I LOVE that they still like to do this...:)
The chili I made last night was really good. I should make it more often.
I need to reload the wood rack on the porch when it warms up a bit later.
I am glad your DGD's still like to do sleepovers. Enjoy! I used to enjoy having my nieces and nephews come for a visit like that. They are all in their later 30's and 40's now. Bummer.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:40 am Good morning, frugal friends. Yesterday I finally signed up for a Brooklyn N.Y. public library card. My application was successful, so they are supposed to send me an e-mail in a few days for payment of the $50 fee. This is for e-books and audio books only. An out-of-state card there costs the same as a card for the big city library here and the BPL has so many, many more books and new releases.

This little splurge was funded by a couple of items bought on eBay that turned out not be as described/photographed which I have returned and gotten a refund on. I will most likely only be using it for e-books. Every now and then I try audio books, but I tend to fall asleep listening to them.

Otherwise, I am having a break at work for ginger ale and a pumpkin muffin. In about an hour, I go to the ortho guy for shots in my knees, which is both looked-forward-to and dreaded. In case this procedure makes me feel too awful to come back to work, I have squared away everything possible for the day.

It's really cold this morning. If it weren't so dry we'd be having snow. Last night the heavy winter blanket went on the bed and I slept so well! We have two of these blankets, which are made of recycled cotton, that we bought a few years ago at Ollie's Outlet. They are so thick that it's almost like sleeping under a weighted blanket and the bed stays so warm.

Hope you all have a peaceful day, stay snug, and all the ailing ones beloved to us rest well today.
Mackie good luck with your knee shots. I know what you mean about not looking forward to the pain of the injections, but the relief afterwards is a good reward.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

frugalaaron wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:49 pm We got a dusting of snow last night, but it melted quickly this afternoon. If I am correct, that makes four snow events this winter. We usually don't see this much snow until late February.

Our city's school district, which never closes for anything, was digital-only for the past two days, due to a Covid surge. And, it was just announced that they will be totally closed Monday, until they can figure out a way forward.

Erin is making a delicious-smelling lemon pound cake in the Zojirushi bread maker that we picked up on FB Marketplace over the holidays. I can't wait.

Have a great remainder of the day.
Love my Zojirushi bread maker. Mine is 10 years old and is still going strong. I just bought new blades for it as the original ones were just starting to wear.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Hello all,
Wondering how ICFrugal and her hubby are doing, I hope he is making good progress.
EllanMarie, you do what you can do when it is family. I wish you good thoughts and prayers in all of your issues.
I mixed up cinnamon raisin bagel dough last evening and let it mellow overnight in the fridge, raised, boiled and baked them this morning. The recipe makes 8 large and I really need to remember to make 10 or 12 smaller ones :?
I finally got all of the mending done, repaired a pair of heavy hunting snow pants for son in law. That was a workout for me and the sewing machine. But I was able to fix them and that is a good feeling.
Made a batch of liver and rice dog food for my old boy. it is a stinky combo but he loves it. :roll:

I also made a batch of potato salad, had 8 smaller potatoes that needed used as they were getting wrinkly. I cooked them on the woodstove because...why not LOL.
It is so very cold here, not like MJ and Jackie but cold, nevertheless.
I have always known that light is a big factor in how I feel. I have replaced all of my light bulbs with energy efficient bulbs, and I am using them more. I turn on lights in the room I am in even in the daytime.
I have been mentally planning and using pinterest to make plans for Spring and Summer gardening and planting. Even if I don't get all of it done it is cathartic to plan and dream of the possibilities.

JCKitty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good to hear from you JCKitty!
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Kitty, I'm so glad to "see" you. You were missed, dear one.
Patty