Daily Check in Jan 21, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalaaron

Re: Daily Check in Jan 21, 2022

Post by frugalaaron »

We got a dusting of snow last night, but it melted quickly this afternoon. If I am correct, that makes four snow events this winter. We usually don't see this much snow until late February.

Our city's school district, which never closes for anything, was digital-only for the past two days, due to a Covid surge. And, it was just announced that they will be totally closed Monday, until they can figure out a way forward.

Erin is making a delicious-smelling lemon pound cake in the Zojirushi bread maker that we picked up on FB Marketplace over the holidays. I can't wait.

Have a great remainder of the day.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

chocolite wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:48 pm EllenMarie, it's so good to see a post from you. Congrats on the new grandbaby. Glad Preston is okay.
Thanks-miss you! Hope everything is ok on your end!
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

LogicsHere wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:44 pm Enjoy hearing from you and always love reading your posts.
All thanks! Yes, I could have used your help too when I was in that rough patch like I told Clemencia. I value your gal's opinions so much! You never steer me wrong!
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Quilter51 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:07 pm Afternoon all. FM, good to hear from you. I may be a minority report here but I will say gently that while a grandbaby is a blessing, said blessing does not mean you need to become a full time caregiver or put your life on hold for another. I am surrounded by grandparents who both help out with their grandchildren occasionally and as needed and still travel.

I am working on time management when it comes to my pain and energy levels (my brain is not an issue). This morning I was in bed for an hour or so after I woke up reading, praying and doing those in bed things and checking online.

When I got out of bed, I rotated the clothes, made a muffin tin full of poached eggs, handwashed a bunch of cooking dishes that were soaking, had breakfast and did a quick house pickup. I did twenty minutes of aerobics and about ten minutes of weights. The rest of the day is no housework and moving slow unless something increases said energy. Oh my daughter did come by and visit briefly and put all the boxes from Christmas away. I'm now eating lunch and knitting with my feet up. At some point I will get up and walk (I try and do it every forty five minutes) and perhaps grab the finished load in the drier.

I have prepared food and leftovers so other than making a salad or heating rolls I am good for a relaxed no energy dinner prep the next few days, knock on wood.

I'm going to church and coffee hour and bible study on Sunday but have pretty much decided not to go to the gospel brunch at the local wine bar afterward (Everything requires a command decision, I tell ya). My daughter suggested I not go, and since she has often called me paranoid since I got the vaccine and she is a health worker, I am going to sit that out. I will go to my church crafting group on Monday, and to lunch for my gourmet grilled cheese this week. Im supposed to go to an introductory class on genealogy but we'll see.
Thanks Quilter! I know, and you know me so well-yes, I am going to have to figure that out on how to balance it. She said she can take two weeks off in the year to give me time to travel-so guess I can have 2 weeks! I do want to go somewhere with dh before anything happens to him again! Just Italy and Greece which is my top choices and he wants Scotland and England to visit relatives (but he wants to stay a month at least!). I wish I could go to bible study-I really try on my own, but so much gets in the way and then it falls by the wayside, I am ashamed to say. I miss my Moms in Prayer group (we pray mainly and thank God but not a bible study and I really want to read the bIble and learn more than I know which is overwhelming since I don't know a lot-lol!).
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Salut mes amis!

Another very frugal day in B-town! I'm not going anywhere so no money will be spent. I'm hanging on to the last of this month's disability check with a very firm grasp.

The caretaker was in again today about the heat. Had to bleed the lines again. I don't know if that made the difference as I have on a long sleeve top. My thermometer seems to be reading 20C so that is good by me.

I gathered up all the dishes in the kitchen and loaded the dishwasher a bit more. I got the dish detergent yesterday so I was able to run it.

This afternoon, after lunch, I finally bundled up the remaining chili and put it in the freezer. I've had 4 meals of it (told ya it's my favorite food of all time!) and got 8 more meals into the freezer. Also got the bread, multigrain, that I got yesterday into the freezer as I have a loaf out already today.

I've got to go into my "gift closet" (a single shelf in the linen closet) and get out Zoe's Birthday present. I know what I am giving her, a very pretty pink metal water bottle with dragonflies on it and a pink journal that matches. I'm still waiting on Dayton's water color pencils but I did get off my book shelf a coloring book that is all birds with information on each bird. At the back of the book it shows all the colors the birds are in real life so she can paint/color them that way if she'd like. My sister gave the book to me over 5 years ago and I gave up after coloring on Christmas page in a Christmas book. That coloring, although it looks so pretty, just gave me anxiety about if I was choosing good colors or if I'd messed up somewhere. Yah, this coloring book is a good add on to Dayton's water color pencils.

It's Friday so that means it's pizza night since I got those pizzas for $3 each. I had birthday cake for breakfast and chili for lunch. Been a good day all in all.

That's the skinny from around here!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good late afternoon ...
It finally got up to 25 today, and the sun is out.
Little Girl and I were having a good morning until time for her pain pill. Turned into a fight ... this cat absolutely hates taking any kind of meds. Finally got it into her and she dived under the bed, which is where she's spent most of the day.

She came out to eat, but won't let me get close enough to grab her (too bad, since I'd really like to get a dose of antibiotics into her.) I'll have to enlist DH's help when he gets home.

Otherwise, Friday run to the grocery, where I snagged a few markdown deals — including onions, which we were running low. Plus a few household chores.

Ellen, glad to hear from you! Congrats on the grandbaby, but hon, your daughter needs backup childcare. Things happen, as you well know. If your DH or one of the other kids get sick, or God forbid, you got sick, who's going to take care of the baby? And you deserve more than two weeks off ;)