Daily Check In January 22, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check In January 22, 2022

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:12 am Hope is a very special girl. My former significant other (who was really very insignificant, lol) was walking my other dog one day - over 5 and a half years ago now, and - LONG story made short, pulled Hope out of a dumpster. He rushed to my work with her, he was so upset, he was shaking - and told me what happened and said he was on his way to the Vet with her. The Vet determined that she was FOUR weeks old!!
I was adamant that we NOT keep her (NO PUPPIES!!) but I got home from work, spent 10 minutes with her, and fell in love. That was in November. In January, Hope contracted the parvo virus and spent 3 days in the animal hospital. In February, when I knew I was going to throw SO out, I went to the town hall and registered Hope in my name.
That following September, a puppy looking EXACTLY like Hope and the SAME AGE as Hope was found in the same dumpster. The police officer who climbed in and got him out kept him.
Glad your SO had the heart to save Hope and then she opened your heart. What is wrong with people that would do such a horrible thing as to put a puppy in a dumpster? Glad that they were both rescued. Scary that only one puppy was found each time. I wonder what happened to the rest of the litter.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:02 am I will be very careful, Janet, but I'm sure all is well. The town I live in (don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good things about it) for various reasons, is kind of a "drug town" and we are on a bus route to/from NYC that has connections to a town where there is a state prison - and we get a lot of people "passing through" and have a large homeless population (for the size of our small town). This guy had a big backpack on - which tells me he may have been a "passer through" and trying to figure out where he was going. We also live about a block from a hotel where homeless people are put up.

I noticed that my daughter and her SO did two things differently last night...usually one of them will take their dog out front before they go to bed - and last night they both went out with her - and they always put a dog gate up so Hope can't go into the front part of the house at night - and last night they left the gate down.
Even more reason to be cautious. When I lived in town, I would lock my door and keep a key around my neck on a chain when i was doing yard work. It would be too easy for someone to slip into the house if I was busy and distracted. My Aunt lived in another town on the main street and while she was talking to her neighbor on a lot between their two houses someone went in the back door and stole money that my Aunt had in her purse. So be careful if you are outside.

Glad your DD and her SO were being cautious. Good ideas to be safe.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:52 am Even more reason to be cautious. When I lived in town, I would lock my door and keep a key around my neck on a chain when i was doing yard work. It would be too easy for someone to slip into the house if I was busy and distracted. My Aunt lived in another town on the main street and while she was talking to her neighbor on a lot between their two houses someone went in the back door and stole money that my Aunt had in her purse. So be careful if you are outside.

Glad your DD and her SO were being cautious. Good ideas to be safe.
You're entirely right, Janet - people can't be too cautious.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:22 pm VERY CREEPY UPDATE...

My yellow lab, Hope, is a gentle giant - so careful and loving around children, laid back around other dogs, loves it when people pet her when we're out walking, etc. She is also VERY protective and territorial and knows when someone doesn't belong here. Don't mess with her mama, you might lose your face!

Well, a little while ago, she took off barking like crazy and she was MAD. I went through the house to the living room where she was - without turning any lights on - she was in front of the picture window looking out front and a man was standing on my front sidewalk just staring at the house.

After about a minute of Hope's barking, DD's significant other came out of their part of the house to see if anything was wrong. I pointed out the man. We couldn't really see him clearly without letting him see us - but we could tell he was just standing there, staring at the house.

After about another minute, DD's SO took off for the back door to go around the side of the house toward the front. I told him don't get close, don't get into a confrontation, BE CAREFUL, you don't know who you might be dealing with. As soon as the man could see him coming round the side, he took off on up the street.

Is that creepy or what??? I'm not concerned about the guy coming back - I don't know that he was up to anything - (IF anything, maybe thinking my house looked like an easy target - from the front lower level, it looks like nobody is home and you can't see the driveway) but if he was, he now knows that a "mean dog" (ha ha ha - NOT) and a man live here - and he knows he was seen.
Just too creepy for words. Sure glad the DD's significant other and Hope were around.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:12 am Just too creepy for words. Sure glad the DD's significant other and Hope were around.
Me too, Jackie! DD's person isn't always here - he spends a couple weeks at a time at his mother's house - but the person who was out front last night doesn't know that.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

frugalaaron wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:00 pm I've always said that you can't go wrong with a couple of German Shepherds. :D
and me stuck with a Lab and a beagle...and whatever multi-mix my daughter's dog is...lol. I LOVE German Shepherds!

Charles M. Schultz