Financial Wellness Challenges at my workplace

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Financial Wellness Challenges at my workplace

Post by MackerelCat »

It really takes "doing the math" and showing them that those coffees and lunches eventually add up to $8,000 over the course of a working year. That can be a big incentive for a lot of people to put aside the instant gratification of getting a overly sweet, too caffeinated coffee drink.

Plus, those $10 lunches are most likely loaded up with bad fats, too much salt, very little veggies and no fruit: a nutritional disaster every day.
Mackie
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

The funny thing is that YOU would appear to "not do well" on this, because you wouldn't "save" much money, since you are not doing the unnecessary spending to begin with.

You can't save $5 on coffee, because you're already bringing your own.

You can't save many $5 bills, because you do not shop often, so you stay out of a lot of stores.

You can't save $3 on Oreos, because you're very rarely buying treats that cost that much, if at all.

Anyway, this whole program sounds to me like "stop asking for more pay, and use the low pay you're getting, better."

When I worked at the grocery store, the chain handed out to every employee a professionally-printed, glossy and colored "statement' (complete with pie chart), personalized to each employee, showing how despite getting $8 per hour, when you include things like what the company pays for you to Social Security, Medicare, health insurance (if you even have it), and even UNEMPLOYMENT TAX (that you may never benefit from), and LABOR TAXES (that the company is required to pay and does NOT benefit the employee at all).....

....well, then, your REAL PAY is $15 per hour! Whoo hooo!

I'm SURE it was just a coincidence that this came out when the employees at our store were considering joining the union, and just prior to their union stores in St Louis going on strike, LOL
ohjodi
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

OhJodi, my organization prepares those too - they're "total compensation statements" - basically how much it costs the company to have you as an employee. Tis true - we as employees can't pay our bills with much of that "compensation".
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

In fairness depends on what they provide. My son just moved to a company that provides health care and a 401k pretax plus sick days and vocation and that increased his worth although his hourly did not change muc. And lowered his taxable income.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Yeah, the last time we got one of those, my compensation was listed at $30K-plus a year, when I actually make less per hour than someone starting out at Panera Bread. All it did was p*ss me off. Of course the compensation statement conveniently does not list that we're charged $30 a month for parking.
Mackie
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Quilter51 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:28 am In fairness depends on what they provide. My son just moved to a company that provides health care and a 401k pretax plus sick days and vocation and that increased his worth although his hourly did not change muc. And lowered his taxable income.
Your son does directly benefit from the employee-sponsored health care, and the 401k, sick and vacation days, of course.

My grocery store was also including unemployment and labor taxes in my "hourly wage" as if it were a benefit to ME, when it was actually THEIR cost of being allowed to do business and make profits.

I'm surprised they didn't include "my share" of their electric bill, which they generously paid so I could operate the cash register, and could work nights.
ohjodi