Daily Check In January 25, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In January 25, 2022

Post by Jackielou »

Off to get coffee, but thought I would start us off first.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In January 25, 2022

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I am up and by the time I finish my coffee should be able to get my household task list finished. I still feel very blah, but I have started to realize it is the January blues raising their head a bit later in the month than usual. I also have a feeling that part of this could be extreme disappointment in how some of my fellow countrymen/women are behaving. What is even more disappointing and distressing is how many on Hubby's side of the family are endorsing this behaviour. I can't change this, so maybe it is time to change my reaction to it. How I do so remains to be seen.

Anyhow this should be a fairly quiet day. I will be joining a Zoom tonight with the quilters from around the world. I may work on my hand quilting for a little bit during this one or continue cutting the selvedges off the fabric I will be using for the next quilt. Getting prepared for the next project that will more than likely happen in a couple or three months.

As far as being frugal is concerned I will of course be following my usual path as I do most days. I may have found another small frugal saving idea that fits with our lifestyle and can perhaps be made into a habit. I just have to get Hubby onboard as he would need to do this as well. I think I am going to start small and catch the water as it heats up when I do the dishes by hand (at least once a day I do pots and items that can not fit in the dishwasher). I only have a few plants to water inside, but come summer I can use this water for the plants outside. For now doing it once or twice a week would give us plenty of plant watering water, and I could perhaps fill the water pitcher as well (Brita). That does need filling quite often. I know that probably many of you already do this, but we have never done this. I could cut the water bill by just a bit...... I will give it a try starting today.

By helping with the Bible Study program at the church I have saved myself $380.00 over the course of the last 3 years. Not bad at all and I am not including the cost of this one coming up. I do wish that we could offer them free of charge, but we just can not afford to as a parish. Instead we do (or did before the pandemic) various pot lucks, game nights, and such things to build community. I need to start up the prayer shawl ministry again, but really wonder if the parish has handed any out of the ones we have made. Kind of doubt it.

Hubby wants me to take the car for a drive today so he can thoroughly clean the driveway out. I may start it and then phone a friend to go over for coffee at some point this morning.

Then this afternoon will see me finish off the rug, and curl up to read for a bit. Or perhaps finish off the first pair of socks and cast on a second pair, or start the toque (much quicker to finish) and it will use up some of the wool yarn in my sewing/craft room and get one more project completed this month!!! Off to find a simple pattern very soon.

Supper tonight is going to be some leftover chicken from Sunday's roast dinner. I am not too sure what kind of casserole I will prepare, so will be pulling a couple of leftover cookbooks out an seeing what I can make with what I have.

Today I am grateful that I still have found some frugal practices that should be easy to make into frugal habits.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

That is a great idea, Jackie. In our area, the water isn't expensive, but the amount of water used triggers a water treatment (sewer) charge that's four times higher, so I have become careful about letting the tap run.

I was so fatigued last night and went to bed early. Slept well and woke up early, which meant for once my breakfast was eaten sitting at the table and not while dashing around the kitchen doing morning chores. :-D

My lovely boss was out half the day yesterday and will be out until afternoon today due to medical tests. Even with a relatively normal day, it's hard for me to cover everything when he's gone (thus me being so tired yesterday). It looks like several of our Covid kids will be released today, but we have two that are very sick and will staying longer in isolation. I don't know if those two were not vaccinated -- we are not allowed to ask, but Omicron has not been a mild infection for them and they are healthy 19 year olds.

My brother who has Omicron is driving me slightly crazy by text. He's now decided he doesn't actually have it because he got a quick test at a concert he attended immediately before showing symptoms and it was negative. (Let's all think about the idiocy of attending live concerts during a raging pandemic!) I refrained from letting him know how inaccurate the quick test is for Omicron and that the lab test he received after showing symptoms really was accurate. His doctor makes the big bucks to deal with his foolishness.

Otherwise, this should be a frugal day. I thought my car needed gas, but it still has 3/4 of a tank, so we're good. Brown-bag lunch & snacks menu today is homemade beef-barley-veg soup from the freezer, two apple-bran muffins, two little tangerines, and a ginger ale.

Hope you all have a peaceful day. Owned (((HUGS))), ICFrugal (((HUGS))), JCKitty (((HUGS))). Hope I didn't miss anybody. You all deserve a big virtual hug.

(Edited to add that it did become a spend day, as I checked the JoAnn website and finally found the Rit dye I'd been looking for. Used a coupon code -- Yay! for JoAnn's coupons! -- and am having it mailed to my house, cheaper than Amazon.)
Last edited by MackerelCat on Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mackie
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

It's supposed to be a milder day today with temps going up to high 30s, but hope we get some sun even if it's hazy because it's not out right now.

Have been doing odds and ends of cleaning tasks not really on my regular schedule, but things that need to be done. Took down and washed my silk flowers this morning and had reorganized my coat closet the other day. I'm not really happy with it though. I keep my ironing board in it, but I don't use it much because it's too heavy and too awkward for me to pull in and out of the closet. It's one of those things I have to get someone to help me take out and to the bulk garbage so that I can buy one that is half the weight and clumsiness.

Want to go get the ground beef today so I can complete the re-stocking of my groceries. Then I'll be in really good shape. Other than that the rest of the day will revolve around whatever types of things.

Well, going to go for now. Have a great day.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Logics, I really hate ironing and bought a little tabletop ironing board years ago at Walmart. The little short legs fold up flat under it and it hangs on the laundry room wall. Since I don't quilt or iron anything large often, it does the trick and weighs only a few pounds.
Mackie
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

I finished my book last night, so I may get the next ones for Kindle. or see if I can get any at the library. I got a notice that my card was about to expire. Fortunately, it is free. I will have to go to a different one than the closest one as it is very small.

I want to go ...somewhere and walk. We are only supposed to get up to 25 F. And tonight into single digits. very cold for my area. I also have ingredients to make a pot of chili.

Have a great day,
Maggie