Chicken and knives

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Chicken and knives

Post by colonialgirl »

Hey guys,
Well I bit the bullet and dove in to give Zaycon foods a try. I have researched online and seems that they have about a 97% approval rating, so since I buy in bulk any way and the prices are better than I can get where locally, I am giving it a try.

So next Tuesday I have 40 pounds of chicken boneless skinless chicken breasts coming (don't hyperventilate Clem) . This has spurred me on to do something I have needed to do for a long time - buy a good sharp chef's knife. Mine are cheap and crappy. And if I am trimming and cutting up 40 lbs of meat I need a good knife. Truly, as much as I cook, I need one any way.

So what are you guys recommendations? I know we have talked about this in the past, but those posts are of course gone. Should I take the plunge on a WUSTHOF classic? Or is there a knife out there that you recommend that might not hurt my pocketbook as much? Cooks Illustrated recommends a Victorinox, which is about 1/3 the price of Wusthof. Anyone heard of them?

I would appreciate your viewpoints!
dlrcpa

Re: Chicken and knives

Post by dlrcpa »

We have Henkel's knives and they have held up really well. Don't put them in the dishwasher, wash by hand. I see they are expensive. I think your best bet would be to research what someplace like Bed Bath and Beyond carries and use one of their 20% off coupons. Maybe you can borrow a knife since this is an infrequent occurrence.
micogo

Post by micogo »

Just my opinion - I've had Henkel and Cutco knives and being one to put everything in the dishwasher, I ruined them. I ordered the pretty Cuisinart Advantage knives from Amazon - very inexpensive, very sharp and hold up well in the dishwasher. I've had them for 6 months and they have been GREAT. When they seem dull, cheap to replace.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

Post by colonialgirl » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:32 am

Hey guys,
Well I bit the bullet and dove in to give Zaycon foods a try. I have researched online and seems that they have about a 97% approval rating, so since I buy in bulk any way and the prices are better than I can get where locally, I am giving it a try.

So next Tuesday I have 40 pounds of chicken boneless skinless chicken breasts coming (don't hyperventilate Clem) . This has spurred me on to do something I have needed to do for a long time - buy a good sharp chef's knife. Mine are cheap and crappy. And if I am trimming and cutting up 40 lbs of meat I need a good knife. Truly, as much as I cook, I need one any way.

So what are you guys recommendations? I know we have talked about this in the past, but those posts are of course gone. Should I take the plunge on a WUSTHOF classic? Or is there a knife out there that you recommend that might not hurt my pocketbook as much? Cooks Illustrated recommends a Victorinox, which is about 1/3 the price of Wusthof. Anyone heard of them?

I would appreciate your viewpoints!
Good knives are not cheap, they are an investment. I had a set of Tupperware knives I bought as samples when I was selling Tupperware, I lost them when my apartment building burned. I replaced them with a set from Henkels. There is more then one quality for their knives. The set I bought is no longer available. I have been very pleased with them. I don't put sharp knives into the dishwasher.

I have had this set for a little over 10 years.

Penny
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I have some old Chicago Cutlery knives that are still going strong. But the COD keeps them sharp.

I did buy some Cutco knives last year and they are great.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I think Victorinex is the maker of the Swiss army knife.