One Week, $25

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: One Week, $25

Post by Jackielou »

I pondered this for awhile, went through fliers to see what could be bought for that $25.00 limit up here. Even changing the American dollar to the Canadian dollar (gave me a bit more to work with) in my small city with only 3 groceries and Walmart (yes we do have Dollar stores, but one must be very careful buying canned food there due to out of date by a long shot food). None of the regular stores really competes against the other and I would not buy my meat from any other store but our Co-op.

I could not do it.... things are way more expensive up here in the middle of the country.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I follow frugal fit mom, under the median and a couple others including Money Mom. Unfortunately I don't eat the kind of food that many of them eat. while I am not nutritionally perfect (hello overweight and diabetes issues!), I dont use most grains or breads on a regular basis and when I do it's always whole grains, So wraps, quesidillas and most of the other things they do to use up leftovers are not in my wheelhouse these days. I do have an Aldi, and I just found out I have a Winco near me so I will at least go check it out.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Like Quilter said, being a diabetic who seems to be carb-sensitive, this is almost impossible.

Aside: so I have been following the Noom app diet. They want to emphasize veggies (good), whole grains, potatoes, brown rice, beans, etc. My blood sugars were super high so I started to reduce my consumption of those higher carb items and am seeing a difference on the scale now.

I suppose, off the top of my head, if I were really low on $$, I would look to beans, potatoes and eggs for my meals. Some bullion to make broth and frozen or reduced veggies for soup. Maybe a big pot of black bean soup and a pot of potato soups. I'd need onions and celery, salt, pepper. If i did have any leftover $, maybe a can or envelope of tuna. Oh, and some sort of oil for sautéing. Obviously I have not looked up prices. No pantry makes it hard. But, fortunately, if I was to be put in a position where I only had $25 to eat for a week, it would be because my home were destroyed or something.

I would also find a food pantry. And then asked friends and relatives for donations of some pantry items such as herbs and spices and oil. I would not go it alone.

edited for typos
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

mbrudnic wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:04 am

I would also find a food pantry. And then asked friends and relatives for donations of some pantry items such as herbs and spices and oil. I would not go it alone.

edited for typos
Great ideas. I would not have thought about a food pantry because in my county? or state you need to be on SNAP or prove that you were below a certain income and be recommended to join by a church. And as far as friends and relatives (1) I would never have thought about that either because I'm too independent for my own good and (2) having never been in that position it just would never occur to me.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Came up with 2 other plans. One is with no salt, etc and the second one is that I do have all in the house (one typically doesn't run out of everything at the same time). Again based on 2 meals and not very healthy.
Plan 1
No spices, condiments, etc.
Milk 1 qt 1.79
Coffee 1.09
Sugar 16 oz 1.29
Eggs 3.99
Bread 1.29
Land-o-Lake Tub butter 2.59
3 Banquet dinners 5.37
Frozen Mixed Veggies 3.19
1 lb spaghetti 0.88
Salt/Pepper Picnic 1.59
Spaghetti sauce 1.69

Breakfast: scrambled, fried, hard-boiled, omelet, french toast (With toast other than last item). Beverage coffee for all meals as it is the only way I could tolerate the tap water where I live (yuck)

Plan 2
Spices, condiments, coffee in house (one store showed eggs at lower price on internet so I used that one for this purpose).

Milk 1 qt 1.79
Eggs 3.39
Bread 1.29
1 lb pasta 0.88
Spaghetti sauce 1.69
Hot dogs sale 3.33
2 Banquet dinners 3.58
Frozen Mixed Veggies 3.19
Potatos 2 1.99
Bag of apples 3.49
2 bananas 0.30

Breakfast: Scrambled, fried, hard boiled, omelet, french toast served with potato or sliced hot dog; coffee as noted above and possibly 1/2 glass of milk with dinner
Dinner: 2 nights frozen dinners, 2 nights pasta, 1 night hotdogs (Veggies for hot do meal and additional for frozen dinners). Apples and bananas for dessert or snacks.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

LogicsHere wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:57 pm Great ideas. I would not have thought about a food pantry because in my county? or state you need to be on SNAP or prove that you were below a certain income and be recommended to join by a church. And as far as friends and relatives (1) I would never have thought about that either because I'm too independent for my own good and (2) having never been in that position it just would never occur to me.
Logics, I am also too independent for my own good and have never asked anybody for anything (save for DD - hey, can I borrow a cup of sugar kind of thing).

I admit, I have "grocery shopped" my parents pantry and freezer in years past but at their insistence - they were trying to clean out and packing up bags and boxes for everyone.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz