Daily Check In May 23, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

Re: Daily Check In May 23, 2022

Post by frugalmom »

MackerelCat wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:54 pm Ellen Marie, congratulations on the new granddaughter!

Hang in there Snowangel. The workday is nearly over. (((HUGS)))

JCKitty, no mice is a very good thing!

I guess it's all the physical labor I did yesterday, but I've been just hungry as a bear all day. Been good and did not put money in the snack machine upstairs, though.
Thank you!
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Ok, back to what has been going on...baby Zoey is sleeping-she is sooooo cute! All babies are so darn cute!
We had about two weeks of Covid that my daughter got after delivering the baby. I took care of the baby, so she could recuperate from the birth and deal with Covid; since she has bad asthma, there were a few times we were ready to rush to the hospital ER. The baby apparently had COVID and gave it to ME! She did not have any symptoms that we could tell (thank goodness, and I hope she won't have any lasting or long-term effects-I worry about this. Surprisingly, though the doctors say that babies do well with Covid, you would be surprised! Like once I came down with it, and then my other daughter and finally my husband (only my teen son did not get it even being surrounded by us-he stayed in his room and went away for a few days to his friend's house after testing negative). I think he did not get it bc he may have increased immunity after he got it in. I think it was February, or maybe it was January(I forgot when), and at that time, he was the only one who got it. We kept him quarantined in his room and had my daughter's air purifier going in the hallway. My germaphobe daughter (the one who wants to be a pediatrician) created walls of garbage bags hanging down, so he had a hall traveling to the bathroom because they shared a hallway and their bedrooms are right next to each other. Well, it worked-no one else got it then. This time we were not so lucky as each one of us fell to Covid!

They did give us older ones, Paxlovid, which is an antiviral. They were so scared for us not to come in that they delivered the meds to us! It was 500.00 for each of us for the medication, so 1000.00 total, which Idk who covered it-our insurance, state or federal, but someone covered it, and we did not have to pay anything for it. Thank goodness! The weird thing is that it is a five-day course-immediately on the second day, I started feeling better-however, it says this med can cause a rebound later on, so we were worried about like what is the use if this was a side effect and you get it again!? Knock on wood-both of us have not rebounded yet. Yesterday we went to dinner for my dad's birthday, and he has COPD. It made me ticked off that my sister, who travels the world,etc and knows my dad and we especially, is at high risk and she tells us AFTERWARDS that her daughters have been exposed to her group of best friends who all got Covid, but the girls keep testing negative thus far, but they also went to a camp a few days ago. Also, the girl blew out the cake (one shared her birthday and grandpa could not blow out candles due to his COPD!), and we ate it then we found out! Like OMG-so now we are hoping she or we do not get it again!

One good thing is the girls got it also in January or February and so may be immune this time around-we hope! And it is my sister that is very strict about us testing prior to doing anything together and last time she exposed us as well bc she did not see the faint line that meant positive for her girls! We have been good for two years not getting it, and being so careful, and the first time we decided to go out to celebrate with family we were exposed. Now this time around, my daughter giving birth, the baby's dad who was supposed to also test before coming there (and was irresponsible and did NOT!) was the one that gave Covid to us! I think I have to be going back being strict again on the precautions and not going out!

We have been growing a garden-but you know we are still on that learning curve! I have figured that we need to stagger growing times. My husband puts it all in at once and so we all have it growing at the same time. So ALL last week, we were eating spinach and lettuce! I made shells stuffed with spinach and ricotta. I made saag (spinach or some call it Palak) which is spinach and potatoes,made plain saag and also with lamb chunks curry. I made spinach dip twice. I still have a couple bags left-for spinach green smoothies(we had a few of those),eggs over spinach Florentine and hollandaise sauce-I am spinached out. Lettuce we had lettuce wraps, salads of all kinds and stir-fried lettuce with oyster sauce and sesame oil. Have a few bunches left still. Had it with tacos too.Washing spinach really well and sorting it seems time intensive then buying a bag-lol-so maybe next time I will grow something else.

So I will bore you no more with my life lol-just letting you know what was going on and why I was a bit busy lol-it just never stops! But I think when it finally does settle down one day, I will just not know what to do!? Oh, and the past few months, every single appliance broke in one way or another and already last year I fixed most of them for about 500.00 each (for some reason that was the magic number and if I had to fix it again I might as well just buy a new one!). However, my advice is if you can keep your appliances going do so, bc every single appliance I replaced it with seems even crappier than the ones I bought before! In fact, my dishwasher just broke down and i only bought it a couple of months ago! So they won't let me return it and they have ordered the part which they have no idea how long it will take bc of the supply chain issues! I bought only American made Whirlpool/GE which was supposed to be the best-really it is not,I can just imagine how the other brands must be if these are the best-sheesh! I wish I had my old Kenmore ones that lasted 20-30 years-those were the best!

Oh and I forgot to add the first week of baby Zoey's life besides the Covid which we did not even know she had at first. Her first week was horrible bc we ended up in the ER since she was losing weight, becoming dehydrated they feared, so they were poking and prodding her trying to draw blood but couldn't get anything. The first sample they got, by the time they got it to the lab it coagulated so was useless so they had to poke her all over again. They wanted to cath her,but right before they were about to do it, she peed all over them so that was useless and they tried to still cath her after! We were there for hours and we finally said no,leave her alone! She had blood coming out which was false menses that some newborn girls get from estrogen withdrawal. But it was a little more than they usually see so they were worried she had blood problems or something. It was around the fifth day so it was probably the peak. I told her I think she was fine that it was the false menses and maybe bc my daughter had trouble with breastfeeding the estrogen component she was withdrawing a bit more, we increased some of the bottle feeding to gain weight back and she was fine afterward. They canceled all tests afterwards-the doctors finally listened to me and I was right-sheesh! So poor baby and they were saying she was so calm going through all of this and a good baby which she really was-sheesh! Thank goodness!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

We finally got some rain. Not sure how much. But better something than nothing.

I made a crockpot of beans and some fideo - basically Mexican spaghetti in a way. Goes good together. The COD will love it.

I have not been a good chef lately -lol. The COD has been though. OMG - he made some more spectacular beef tacos last night.

Hope he enjoys tonight's meal. I made the beans so he could later make chalupas with the leftovers. Those were the best.

Basically a toasted corn tortilla topped with refried beans and veggies - tomatoes, lettuce, with some cheese.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Mrscreative wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:32 pm z

MJ you’re a true gem for taking such good care of their dog. It’s very challenging trying to find someone reliable enough.

Creative
Thanks Creative!

When they told me she was a "special needs" doggo due to her anxiety and that they had consulted a trainer, I worried how I would do with little Charlee. She took to me though! I think that first "test" day while Tannis was at work was good. That was the day I just talked to Charlee a lot and never touched her. She then knew I wasn't a threat or going to grab her all of a sudden. I think that helped. I was so pleased to hear she was just fine for them after I left. WHEW!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

frugalmom wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:40 pm Ok, back to what has been going on...baby Zoey is sleeping-she is sooooo cute! All babies are so darn cute!
We had about two weeks of Covid that my daughter got after delivering the baby. I took care of the baby, so she could recuperate from the birth and deal with Covid; since she has bad asthma, there were a few times we were ready to rush to the hospital ER. The baby apparently had COVID and gave it to ME! She did not have any symptoms that we could tell (thank goodness, and I hope she won't have any lasting or long-term effects-I worry about this. Surprisingly, though the doctors say that babies do well with Covid, you would be surprised! Like once I came down with it, and then my other daughter and finally my husband (only my teen son did not get it even being surrounded by us-he stayed in his room and went away for a few days to his friend's house after testing negative). I think he did not get it bc he may have increased immunity after he got it in. I think it was February, or maybe it was January(I forgot when), and at that time, he was the only one who got it. We kept him quarantined in his room and had my daughter's air purifier going in the hallway. My germaphobe daughter (the one who wants to be a pediatrician) created walls of garbage bags hanging down, so he had a hall traveling to the bathroom because they shared a hallway and their bedrooms are right next to each other. Well, it worked-no one else got it then. This time we were not so lucky as each one of us fell to Covid!

They did give us older ones, Paxlovid, which is an antiviral. They were so scared for us not to come in that they delivered the meds to us! It was 500.00 for each of us for the medication, so 1000.00 total, which Idk who covered it-our insurance, state or federal, but someone covered it, and we did not have to pay anything for it. Thank goodness! The weird thing is that it is a five-day course-immediately on the second day, I started feeling better-however, it says this med can cause a rebound later on, so we were worried about like what is the use if this was a side effect and you get it again!? Knock on wood-both of us have not rebounded yet. Yesterday we went to dinner for my dad's birthday, and he has COPD. It made me ticked off that my sister, who travels the world,etc and knows my dad and we especially, is at high risk and she tells us AFTERWARDS that her daughters have been exposed to her group of best friends who all got Covid, but the girls keep testing negative thus far, but they also went to a camp a few days ago. Also, the girl blew out the cake (one shared her birthday and grandpa could not blow out candles due to his COPD!), and we ate it then we found out! Like OMG-so now we are hoping she or we do not get it again!

One good thing is the girls got it also in January or February and so may be immune this time around-we hope! And it is my sister that is very strict about us testing prior to doing anything together and last time she exposed us as well bc she did not see the faint line that meant positive for her girls! We have been good for two years not getting it, and being so careful, and the first time we decided to go out to celebrate with family we were exposed. Now this time around, my daughter giving birth, the baby's dad who was supposed to also test before coming there (and was irresponsible and did NOT!) was the one that gave Covid to us! I think I have to be going back being strict again on the precautions and not going out!

We have been growing a garden-but you know we are still on that learning curve! I have figured that we need to stagger growing times. My husband puts it all in at once and so we all have it growing at the same time. So ALL last week, we were eating spinach and lettuce! I made shells stuffed with spinach and ricotta. I made saag (spinach or some call it Palak) which is spinach and potatoes,made plain saag and also with lamb chunks curry. I made spinach dip twice. I still have a couple bags left-for spinach green smoothies(we had a few of those),eggs over spinach Florentine and hollandaise sauce-I am spinached out. Lettuce we had lettuce wraps, salads of all kinds and stir-fried lettuce with oyster sauce and sesame oil. Have a few bunches left still. Had it with tacos too.Washing spinach really well and sorting it seems time intensive then buying a bag-lol-so maybe next time I will grow something else.

So I will bore you no more with my life lol-just letting you know what was going on and why I was a bit busy lol-it just never stops! But I think when it finally does settle down one day, I will just not know what to do!? Oh, and the past few months, every single appliance broke in one way or another and already last year I fixed most of them for about 500.00 each (for some reason that was the magic number and if I had to fix it again I might as well just buy a new one!). However, my advice is if you can keep your appliances going do so, bc every single appliance I replaced it with seems even crappier than the ones I bought before! In fact, my dishwasher just broke down and i only bought it a couple of months ago! So they won't let me return it and they have ordered the part which they have no idea how long it will take bc of the supply chain issues! I bought only American made Whirlpool/GE which was supposed to be the best-really it is not,I can just imagine how the other brands must be if these are the best-sheesh! I wish I had my old Kenmore ones that lasted 20-30 years-those were the best!

Oh and I forgot to add the first week of baby Zoey's life besides the Covid which we did not even know she had at first. Her first week was horrible bc we ended up in the ER since she was losing weight, becoming dehydrated they feared, so they were poking and prodding her trying to draw blood but couldn't get anything. The first sample they got, by the time they got it to the lab it coagulated so was useless so they had to poke her all over again. They wanted to cath her,but right before they were about to do it, she peed all over them so that was useless and they tried to still cath her after! We were there for hours and we finally said no,leave her alone! She had blood coming out which was false menses that some newborn girls get from estrogen withdrawal. But it was a little more than they usually see so they were worried she had blood problems or something. It was around the fifth day so it was probably the peak. I told her I think she was fine that it was the false menses and maybe bc my daughter had trouble with breastfeeding the estrogen component she was withdrawing a bit more, we increased some of the bottle feeding to gain weight back and she was fine afterward. They canceled all tests afterwards-the doctors finally listened to me and I was right-sheesh! So poor baby and they were saying she was so calm going through all of this and a good baby which she really was-sheesh! Thank goodness!
Ellen Marie how wonderful to hear from you again! Congratulations on your new granddaughter! Dh and I are still waiting! Dh’s greatest fear is that he won’t live to see his first grandchild, as he turns 75 this year.

So far we have all remained Covid free to the best of our knowledge. Dd2 works at our local hospital as an administrative assistant and still must wear a mask and goggles all day (even though well removed from patients). Covid screening questions are still required even for staff on a daily basis. Several of her office mates ended up with Covid, mostly from their children attending in person learning or through travel. She has done some extra work on the patient units as a nursing assistant. That’s how short of staff they were! She was provided with hospital scrubs and told to change into her street clothes and deposit the scrubs into the hospital laundry. Had to wear the N95 mask measured to your face and the plastic PPE gowns. She gave the patients their meals, disposed of their little garbage bags/replaced Kleenex box, if necessary, could pass them their personal belongings, etc. Also bring them a heated sheet/blanket. Another main job was restocking the PPE supplies.They could not provide any personal care or assistance as not trained for that job. New PPE gown and gloves were required every time she entered a new room. Whew! A lot of changes! She felt a bit useless as she couldn’t take vitals, give patients sponge baths, etc. From this experience she determined she could never become a nurse!

Dh and I recently received our second Pfizer booster - no side effects for either one of us. So we’re as protected as much as we can possibly be. Dd2 has received her first booster. The hospital hasn’t given her the opportunity for her second as she’s in the appropriate age group yet!

How wonderful your daughter has you around for support!

Creative
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Mrscreative wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:10 am Ellen Marie how wonderful to hear from you again! Congratulations on your new granddaughter! Dh and I are still waiting! Dh’s greatest fear is that he won’t live to see his first grandchild, as he turns 75 this year.

So far we have all remained Covid free to the best of our knowledge. Dd2 works at our local hospital as an administrative assistant and still must wear a mask and goggles all day (even though well removed from patients). Covid screening questions are still required even for staff on a daily basis. Several of her office mates ended up with Covid, mostly from their children attending in person learning or through travel. She has done some extra work on the patient units as a nursing assistant. That’s how short of staff they were! She was provided with hospital scrubs and told to change into her street clothes and deposit the scrubs into the hospital laundry. Had to wear the N95 mask measured to your face and the plastic PPE gowns. She gave the patients their meals, disposed of their little garbage bags/replaced Kleenex box, if necessary, could pass them their personal belongings, etc. Also bring them a heated sheet/blanket. Another main job was restocking the PPE supplies.They could not provide any personal care or assistance as not trained for that job. New PPE gown and gloves were required every time she entered a new room. Whew! A lot of changes! She felt a bit useless as she couldn’t take vitals, give patients sponge baths, etc. From this experience she determined she could never become a nurse!

Dh and I recently received our second Pfizer booster - no side effects for either one of us. So we’re as protected as much as we can possibly be. Dd2 has received her first booster. The hospital hasn’t given her the opportunity for her second as she’s in the appropriate age group yet!

How wonderful your daughter has you around for support!

Creative
Awww...thank you! Yes, it takes someone special to be a nurse and I feel for them these days risking their lives-it breaks my heart! Hmmmm...maybe there was a reason I left (well, there was-I got hurt and then retired early and a good thing with my risk factors especially COPD due to chronic bronchitis and pneumonia almost every year except for the two we masked up due to Covid!). I always don't see it when things happen, but I always pray to God I know he must have his reasons and I put faith in God and I never see it till much later down the line! So it protected me otherwise, but lol I still got it anyway, but thankfully because I am boosted and vaccinated I am ok! I need to time that second booster near the winter bc my recent illness probably offers some immunity for a bit at least!

KEEP SAFE AND HEALTHY!