Daily Check-in May 24, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
snowangel729

Re: Daily Check-in May 24, 2022

Post by snowangel729 »

Evening yall!

I'm in bed resting after my amniocentesis. Ultrasound went great but I'm to take it easy and rest for 72 hours.

I heard about the shooting in Texas and I'm so upset because my child is in that age group and I get terrified that something like this could happen to him

Snowangel
frugalmom

Re: Daily Check-in May 24, 2022

Post by frugalmom »

Maggie, congratulations to your son in his new job! How exciting for him!

Prayers for the families in Texas that were in that shooting-what is going on-it just keeps coming like evil is all around us! It has to stop-the hate and the violence and innocent people dying due to evil people!

My frugal doings today:
it is getting awfully hot-100 degrees tomorrow. So we had silver bags of aluminum to hold food (the type you can cut out to make your own shade for the car or wherever I guess). So we have an angular weird window on top of other windows. I never bought a window covering for it bc of the shape and not spending extra money for the custom-made it must be. So I cut the bag and laid it flat and used the bottom of the bag to fit the angular spots left. I used painter's tape to hold it together and also I collect Costco flats (the thicker one-comes in handy and can be used for many things). I cut the Costco flat cardboard and fit it to the shape of the window. It immediately cut the heat in the room (it gets awfully hot in there) significantly -at least 20-30%. I think the silver reflects the sun. I do not like it darker (I love bright and light), but I kept thinking ok what is the priority-keeping cool won out!

Also used our spinach from our garden to make warm bacon dressing salad. I just learned this recipe lately and I like it! In fact, lately, I have been making all my salad dressings myself and love it better fresh than store bottles. I just make enough for the salad. Earlier I made Nam Tok salad (Vietnamese I believe) and made my own version of the dressing (like I will not grind rice for it-so it is close enough to the taste of a restaurant I go to for that salad before. Usually, I like something at a restaurant and since it gets too expensive to go to restaurants I figure out how to make my own version of my favorite dishes and start making them at home!

I also had three leftover baked potatoes. So I stopped the flesh out and made twice-baked potatoes (the first time I made these-yum!). I cooked up the fresh bacon bits and that is why I used this for the salad dressing bc it is rare I eat bacon. And one potato was kind of a mess so I cut it into baked potato skins with bacon, cheese, green onions, and sour cream over it.

So not too bad in the savings department today.