Daily Check In June 18, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check In June 18, 2022

Post by MackerelCat »

I slept very late this morning: it was a tough week at work and I needed to rest.

So far I have had coffee and cuddle time with Ollie Cat, who is still favoring his injured back paw but the prescription medication seems to be helping.

DH went very early to the Nissan dealership to get the AC in his car looked at and learned it needs a new compressor soon. As soon as he can get a hybrid Honda, he will, so we are planning to limp along with the sedan until then. These sedan has reached the "$200 every week in repairs stage," and would have been replaced already if it weren't for the automobile shortage.

All the Saturday chores await. The fridge is very clean because we were good about eating everything this week, so making a grocery list will be a snap. There's enough frozen veggies and portioned out pulled pork in the freezer to make my lunches. I just have to dream up some things for DH to eat.

Hope you all have a peaceful day and stay cool.
Mackie
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Salut mes amis!

I stayed in bed listening to my CBC radio shows for over an hour. They are really funny so I enjoyed it.

It's 79F feeling like 86F and by mid afternoon will be 100F. YIKES!

I was going to PRIDE in The Park because my friend, Jan, is playing. I told him I'd try to get there. Thank heavens I didn't promise. I don't think this fatty can handle that kind of heat. WHEW! I also wanted to go because they were having a free hot dog lunch. You all know how I love my dawgs! I like it to be in the low 70s but it doesn't seem to want to stay that way! It's supposed to cool back down mid-week. Thankfully, I have A/C.

Gotta hop in the shower and finalize my decision as to whether I'll go for music or not.

Still being frugal and no money out of pocket this week, well, except for the 50 cents spent for parking when we went for lunch at the soup kitchen. That's not too bad though! I'm going to keep doing that until my next check comes in. I'll be babysitting Franki Boi starting on the 24th. So excited to be doing that!! I love that little guy!!

That's the skinny from around here!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good afternoon frugalites!

I am home. The pack was okay. They had fresh water and food. New wee-wee pads. They didn't even bark much when I got home. Maybe they like me being gone a night or so. Who knows what mischief they get into! :mrgreen:

Boy we did a lot of talking and eating yesterday and this morning. Oh and of course adult beverages were enjoyed by the biggest talkers. LOL

About 10 of us met for dinner. Met up with niece and her wife there. Afterwards headed over to brothers house just down the road. Started our in his big living area and then ended up outside on the deck of his pool. Very nice out there - didn't feel so hot under the trees. More talking and laughing. It was fun. Planning another gathering soon.

Have to stay in touch with family. Today we did the traditional gravesite visits. Talked about family members that are long gone. Made sure my siblings knew my plans of being buried with my parents - well my ashes.

Have a great day.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Good afternoon, friends. DD and I had a nice time on our trek to Walmart and we splurged and went out for lunch at a cute little cafe and ate outside. I didn't think the lunch cost was terrible - we each got huge salads and a basket of assorted breads with bottomless cups of coffee and paid just a little over $28 with tax and tip. Not something I'll do again anytime soon but was a nice treat and not fast food.

I'm not mad about what I paid at Walmart either. I couldn't find any clothes but got an electric griddle and toaster, stocked up big time on pet food and toilet paper. Got my natural peanut butter, coffee, almond milk, cereal, flour, stocked up on canned tomato products and frozen veggies and lots more. Got a 30 pack of meal containers (divided into 3 sections for the freezer. Stocked up on batteries. Found beautiful tomatoes and avocados for sandwiches as well as lettuce and ingredients for a corn dip I want to make. My bill was $237 and change.

Yep, that's bad but even if I could find all that stuff where we live, and I can't - the price would have been well over $300, we have few options for groceries and NO options for things like small appliances, quality pet food at reasonable prices, etc. Yes, you can buy a toaster at Dollar General but it will last about a month, ask me how I know.

All in all, we had a very nice a nice day out. I am mostly a homebody but it was good to get out of town and shop someplace different where the prices are just very high and not insanely high. I know many are not Walmart fans and some even refuse to shop there - but my wallet is my bottom line, out of necessity.

Home and having a little rest with the dogs before we go walking.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good afternoon beautiful people,

With the arrival of our warmer weather, I find myself with less time on my hands because I spend at least an hour each day, weather permitting . In the morning I had my Walmart pickup and there was a delay because of some systems problems with the computer from their end. I got a $10 gift voucher in return and a tray of mini cupcakes. After putting everything away, it was almost time for lunch. I also completed two loads of laundry this morning .

The afternoon was more play, but I did get a huge pot of soup made before leaving for a long 10 000 step walk. I was happy to have fresh herbs to use straight from our garden. In my opinion fresh herbs really elevates your level of cooking. My dinner is done, but dd2 and Dh are having BBQ ribs tonight.

Off to play Quordle!

Have a wonderful evening all!
Creative
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Happy Daze, you did great! Even I have softened my stance on Walmart since one of my work friends took a second job there and started out at $2 an hour more than the university was paying her, and WM gave her raises much faster.

You might try looking online at Macy's for things on clearance for clothes. Their stuff is very well made and the sales can be very good.

DH and I went to the grocery store and discovered that this week's food shortages were eggs, peanut butter, fresh milk and milk products. Very little yogurt and cottage cheese were left on the shelves. I can't help but notice that those are alternatives to expensive meats.

I am buying some more expensive healthy products to try to get DH to slim down, but our grocery total keeps going up by $20 a week. The only silly thing this week was a stuffed toy mouse for the new kitty that cost $3.98.
Mackie