Daily Check In September 24, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check In September 24, 2022

Post by floridacatlover »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:08 pm I have been grocery shopping. Went by myself to Food Lion because DH has a cold and did not feel up to helping.

The prices get worse all the time! I about shrieked upon seeing that my beloved Chock Full O'Nuts coffee has gone up to $11.49 a can. That's a price jump of $3 since last week.

Food Lion store brand honey wheat bread costs as much as Nature's Own used to, and a roll of Jimmy Dean's sausage is regularly $6.99. It was $4.99 this week on sale and I had a $1 coupon. JD's sage sausage is awfully tasty, but right at $7 is rather sobering.

Eggs were still $4.99 a dozen. There were some as high as $7.99 a dozen, the pasture-raised organic kind.
In the few items I bought today along with the batteries at Publix, I saw big price increases. Publix brand soy milk which was $2.89 for a long time and recently $2.99 is now $3.35. Publix wheat bread (average bread, not the kind comparable to the high-end brands) was $2.19, then $2.29 and today $2.79. I did get Fresh Express salads B1G1 so $2.50 each and 3 pounds of mandarins for $5.99 (instead of $6.99). I’m not sure if that is a decent price because I haven’t priced them elsewhere. I’m not sure why, but I no longer get the printed grocery ads in the mail.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

The path for Tropical Storm Ian seems to be moving west. This often happens for storms in the Gulf. They always say, don’t look at the line, look at the “cone of uncertainty” but I look at the line. Now they have it making landfall north of us in the eastern Panhandle of Florida. I hope this continues! (Sorry for the folks up there.)

My friend called to tell me they are leaving on Monday for a week. I told her I will be fine. I will see how things look on Monday night. I can cancel the hotel until Tuesday. Tomorrow I’ll put the few things in mom’s yard on the porch.

It looks like PEI and other parts of Atlantic Canada were hit hard by Hurricane Fiona.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

I finished the knitted blanket and silly me brought out more orphan and leftover bits of worsted weight yarn. I proceeded to cast on another. This gives me something to do with my hands in the evening or those dark and gloomy days.

Mass tomorrow is the Picnic in the Park and since the wasps will be busy flying around, will be attending tonight instead. I am afraid that yours truly would be jumping out of her chair and running around screaming at the mere sight of a wasp near me. Not really conducive to attending Mass.

I wasn't supposed to go shopping until Tuesday, but with the funeral on Monday and a meeting Tuesday morning, there are things I need to pick up tomorrow. As that is the case, I decided to do the biweekly shop at Walmart tomorrow.

I heard the lawn mower going earlier this afternoon and went out to discover Hubby cutting the grass in the area he wants to extend the firepit section of the yard. I let him come to that conclusion on his own without voicing my recommendation that if he was removing the remaining gravel from the driveway to the back yard it stood to reason that using it immediately would be a good idea. I have a feeling that is what he will be doing tomorrow, first lifting the sod and then laying the fabric. Probably moving the gravel on Monday. I actually think there is enough to do part of the side as well.

Tomorrow, I plan on doing some baking (buns, and perhaps some cherry muffins for breakfasts) and starting the laundry as the funeral will be right in the middle of my usual laundry day. I may do a few other tasks as well. I also want to get some preliminary work done on the rug backing and do a few rows on the quilt flimsy.

Off to set the table and do a bit of knitting before I need to get supper on the table. I am thinking a glass of port would be nice as well.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:07 pm The path for Tropical Storm Ian seems to be moving west. This often happens for storms in the Gulf. They always say, don’t look at the line, look at the “cone of uncertainty” but I look at the line. Now they have it making landfall north of us in the eastern Panhandle of Florida. I hope this continues! (Sorry for the folks up there.)

My friend called to tell me they are leaving on Monday for a week. I told her I will be fine. I will see how things look on Monday night. I can cancel the hotel until Tuesday. Tomorrow I’ll put the few things in mom’s yard on the porch.

It looks like PEI and other parts of Atlantic Canada were hit hard by Hurricane Fiona.
The pictures I am seeing on Facebook and Twitter right now show that while PEI had trees uprooted and power down, Newfoundland is losing houses to the ocean and is really having the worst damage. Haven't seen too much about Nova Scotia yet, but with cell service interrupted it could be a while before posts become available.

The video and pictures from NL are heartbreaking.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:07 pm The path for Tropical Storm Ian seems to be moving west. This often happens for storms in the Gulf. They always say, don’t look at the line, look at the “cone of uncertainty” but I look at the line. Now they have it making landfall north of us in the eastern Panhandle of Florida. I hope this continues! (Sorry for the folks up there.)

I just saw that a woman from here is taking off on a cruise today. They are already on board. Probably leaving from Galveston Tx. They are going to the Bahamas - wouldn't this storm delay them?
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

FloridaCat, a 3 lb bag of mandarins is $4.99 at Food Lion and $3.99 at Aldi, but the ones at Aldi have not been especially good. I wind up throwing out enough of the Aldi ones that I stopped buying them there.

Food Lion has not been able to get store brand French fries for months. They finally had some marked as being from the Mount Mitchell potato company, with Mount Mitchell being in North Carolina, but they are a product of Egypt. I did not buy them.
Mackie