Daily Check In September 24, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In September 24, 2022

Post by Jackielou »

Thought I would share this article from one of our papers up here. The Sun isn't my favourite of newspapers, but this gives you all a good overview of how hard the storm hit the Maritime provinces... New Brunswick seems to be okay and are sending power repair crews as has Quebec and Ontario.

https://calgarysun.com/news/national/fiona-makes-landfall-in-nova-scotia-state-of-emergency-declared-in-cape-breton/wcm/1c6790ad-2d75-44bc-a1f2-e46692b52c13
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:19 pm FloridaCat, a 3 lb bag of mandarins is $4.99 at Food Lion and $3.99 at Aldi, but the ones at Aldi have not been especially good. I wind up throwing out enough of the Aldi ones that I stopped buying them there.

Food Lion has not been able to get store brand French fries for months. They finally had some marked as being from the Mount Mitchell potato company, with Mount Mitchell being in North Carolina, but they are a product of Egypt. I did not buy them.
That is good to know about the mandarin prices. Oh, I just checked the Winn Dixie ad and they are $5.99. But Walmart is only $3.98 for 3 pounds and $4.96 for 5 pounds!

The other day I had a hankering for tater tots. The whole frozen potato section at Publix was almost empty. It was that way during the pandemic, too. While most sections of the store are back to being fully stocked, not that area. (Batteries are on the pet aisle and I looked at that today and the store-brand cat food is still sparse.) The only tater tots were a giant bag of Ore Ida for $7.99 and I didn’t buy them.
Last edited by floridacatlover on Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Jackielou wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:38 pm Thought I would share this article from one of our papers up here. The Sun isn't my favourite of newspapers, but this gives you all a good overview of how hard the storm hit the Maritime provinces... New Brunswick seems to be okay and are sending power repair crews as has Quebec and Ontario.

https://calgarysun.com/news/national/fiona-makes-landfall-in-nova-scotia-state-of-emergency-declared-in-cape-breton/wcm/1c6790ad-2d75-44bc-a1f2-e46692b52c13
What devastation! I looked up Port Aux Basques on the map. It seems so strange to see such a strong hurricane that far north. Perhaps the warming oceans will sadly mean this happens more often. They are not used to a storm like this and that makes it harder to recover I think.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Jackielou wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:56 pm Congrats to your granddaughter on getting the winning goal.
Thanks Jackie.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

icfrugal2 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:51 pm quick

SIL called their brother and fell again, we think about 4 am, and that is when a bump was heard.

This brother falls a lot, 911 was called about 2 weeks ago, at that time he passed out and face-planted (drunk) he got 6 stitches on his lib and has a broken jaw, he is refusing treatment for the jaw.

The brother and sister who live there are in fear of him falling again. He is usually drunk by 11 am or so.

He also has lung cancer and is getting chemo (what a mess)

Anyway, this morning at about 9 am he called 911 for himself, his sister is afraid that he has maybe a broken hip.

hopefully, the ER will keep him for a while.

what a way to start the day.

in the meantime, DH and will be leaving i n a bit for lunch with my family

Happy day

IC
That is so terrible and sad.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Good evening friends. I went to a women's financial conference today. The conference was excellent, I got a lot out of it. It was a LONG day though. Because I was near a Walmart, I stopped in and found a sweater and a blouse for work. I also got some dry shampoo, a box of hair color, a new mascara, and a few groceries - split peas, lentils, coffee, whole wheat bread, frozen spinach, 2 packages of tofu, a pound of fresh carrots.

DD's SO is here because he has next week off from work. They were on a long walk with the dogs when I got home a little while ago. Dogs are very tired and sound asleep, as I hope to be soon.

Off to ready your check-ins first, see how everyone is faring.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz