Daily Check In September 24, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check In September 24, 2022

Post by MackerelCat »

I have been grocery shopping. Went by myself to Food Lion because DH has a cold and did not feel up to helping.

The prices get worse all the time! I about shrieked upon seeing that my beloved Chock Full O'Nuts coffee has gone up to $11.49 a can. That's a price jump of $3 since last week.

Food Lion store brand honey wheat bread costs as much as Nature's Own used to, and a roll of Jimmy Dean's sausage is regularly $6.99. It was $4.99 this week on sale and I had a $1 coupon. JD's sage sausage is awfully tasty, but right at $7 is rather sobering.

Eggs were still $4.99 a dozen. There were some as high as $7.99 a dozen, the pasture-raised organic kind.
Mackie
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Salut mes amis!

It's a beautiful sunny day here in Manitoba. The weather is in the mid 60s which is really nice.

Zoe and I got up early and went to wait in line at 9:15 am as the sale was scheduled to begin at 10:00 am. Well, weren't we surprised! They were already selling stuff when we got there! People were buying like 10 boxes of cheese and then leaving, I guess that's all they'd gone to purchase. Well, that wasn't correct. The Food Resource Store has limits on the items you can buy! Someone mentioned they thought it was either a restaurant and their staff or maybe one of the religious colonies who brought their family. Who knows. BUT the jist of it is by 9:30 they announced all the cheese was gone. Then in another 10 minutes, they announced all the pork patties were gone. Well, Zoe and I were just not happy to have wasted all that time and standing in line. We decided to go to the Food Resource Store in Town as we figured they'd probably have the hash browns and we wouldn't have to stand in line forever or get such a big box. We got there and had to wait a bit as only 6 people are allowed in the store at a time for COVID-19 reasons. I got two bags of Hash brown Patties for $3.00 and I got my neighbor Gluten Free Bread for only ONE DOLLAR a loaf!! He told me they were like $6.00 at the store and they are a smaller loaf than regular bread. I bought him four so he can put them in his freezer. I also got some cinnamon raisin bread. I like that toasted for breakie or a bed time snack (I need a snack or I am up in the middle of the night getting one!).

We also stopped at our Global Market (like a farmers' market) downtown as someone I contacted for green bell peppers was selling them there. I got a bag to chop up for my chili. Zoe and I had a coffee and a good chit chat. So fun to catch-up and we had a good morning despite the disappointment in how the people ran the sale at the location on the highway for the Food Resource Store.

Today is a day for chopping green peppers. I am going to check for a hot pepper recipe and see if I have basically everything I need except for pectin. I think I do. It is SO GOOD on cheese sandwiches!

I have to move my chair in the living room as tomorrow Zoe is bringing me John's retired recliner. He got a new one for Father's Day and I get his retired one! I am very happy! It is so soft and comfy!! I wish it was a rocker recliner but the soft and comfy makes up for no rocking!

I'm going to check Opal's eye when I feed her today and see how she is doing. It looked better last night so that is good. Zoe and I think she might have scratched it on some of the shavings she was hauling into her house to personalize it to her liking.

I have lots more to do but I'm just going to take one thing at a time so I don't freak out!! LOL

That's the skinny from around here!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

ownedbydogs wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:26 am If you like Hallmark, have you tried the Frndly stream? It has 2 hallmarks and 3 other stations that are similar to Hallmark. Frndly is the way it is spelled
I still subscribe to cable, Owned. Haven't yet made the move to switch. My cable company carries all 3 Hallmark channels and the steaming competitor GAC. One day I may have to but not ready yet.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:08 pm I have been grocery shopping. Went by myself to Food Lion because DH has a cold and did not feel up to helping.

The prices get worse all the time! I about shrieked upon seeing that my beloved Chock Full O'Nuts coffee has gone up to $11.49 a can. That's a price jump of $3 since last week.

Food Lion store brand honey wheat bread costs as much as Nature's Own used to, and a roll of Jimmy Dean's sausage is regularly $6.99. It was $4.99 this week on sale and I had a $1 coupon. JD's sage sausage is awfully tasty, but right at $7 is rather sobering.

Eggs were still $4.99 a dozen. There were some as high as $7.99 a dozen, the pasture-raised organic kind.
You can't tell me that this is all inflation. I think there's a lot of price gouging there as well. I mean when you look at housing and people's rents getting raised $500 to $1000 a month. I think they are all taking advantage now.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Logics, I think there is an element of price gouging for sure. There is no way that the same cans of coffee sitting on that shelf from last week should suddenly be 25% more expensive.

There was one poor guy pushing his empty cart around the store and I heard him say, "I'm just trying to find something to eat." The Episcopal church food pantry is feeding twice th e people it was just a few months ago.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:01 am Homecoming Weekend continues at our High School. Our girls soccer team won their game and oldest DGD scored the winning goal! A perfect moment in her senior year.
Heading over to the school in a bit for the sports parade which both DGDs are in.
The weather has turned here...definitely Fall.
I made a huge baked Mac and cheese this morning for dinner for everyone tonight. Hot dogs..burgers..etc. We also have my niece and son coming in for the weekend.
Have a good Saturday everyone!
Congrats to your granddaughter on getting the winning goal.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/