Christmas 2022 Preparations

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Christmas 2022 Preparations

Post by HappyDaze »

Is anyone else working on Christmas preparations - whether gift shopping, meal planning, etc.?

Quite unplanned, but my parents' Christmas gift is bought. I knew I wanted to gift them something in the way of groceries and decided to put together a "breakfast box".

I still need to get shelf stable juice, pre-cooked bacon, dehydrated hash browns and clementines (those will go in at the last minute) but I got:

oatmeal (instant - variety pack) grits (instant, variety pack) strawberry preserves, biscuit mix, pancake mix, syrup, blueberry muffin mix, instant hot cocoa, instant coffee (what they drink), raisins. From Amazon I ordered (free except for my time doing surveys):

A book called "Breakfast - the Most Important Book About the Most Important Meal of the Day" (it has trivia, recipes, stories, etc.) and another book:"Coffee Time - Perk Up With Puzzles, Brainteasers, and Trivia".

I bought the books used - my parents give and don't mind receiving pre-owned items and I saved about $30 by going that route.

Done. And. Done. I want it all done, wrapped and ready to go by Thanksgiving. I just have DD and her SO and DS and DDIL to go - plus a "little something" for the crew at work.

We aren't "big gifters" in my family and I'm cutting back a bit more this year. For example, I would normally gift my dad and mom each something else separately - and I will not be doing that. I don't buy for or exchanges gifts with siblings and their children and grandchildren.

In terms of holiday baking I usually make just "one amazing thing" and it is usually a Christmas Toffee - but I may switch to sugar cookies this year as a favor to my budget.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Re: Christmas 2022 Preparations

Post by clemencia2us »

sounds like a great gift!!!

We have cut back on the gift giving. I tell people, If I can't spend it or eat it - I don't want it!! No clothes please! :mrgreen:
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

I have started. I picked up some Harry Potter-themed fabric to make a Pillow case. DS dressed as HP for Halloween and is into him. He said he wants a watch, so I am planning to get him a Kids Fitbit. And planning to get Mom the Apple Watch in conjunction with my brothers.

I was talking with DDIL and we were discussing gifts. She said she really does not need Stuff, and while it does seem to go against the usual sentiments (my Mom's that I also buy into)that gifts should be a small luxury you will not buy for yourself, she's mostly appreciate cash to pay off some medical bills they have. So i will consider that for DDIL and DS.

DB2 requested bowl cozies. It seems their kids absconded with the ones I made a couple of years ago for them.

DS2 asked for a water-proof jacket for his birthday and did not get one. So there is something. Also work clothes.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I keep saying that I need to get started, I need to make all my gifts, about half need to be mailed.

The dolls are made, but some of them still need features and hair. I do need to decide on clothes. Then I need to knit some elephants and triceratops. Some family members got triceratops last year. They will get elephants.

I am thinking of making stuffed robots for my toddler great grandsons.

Penny
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I need to start. I am making my daughter at least one quilt (a christmas one) and perhaps a tshirt quilt as well.

I gift my son, my daughter and son in law and my sister, and then smaller gifts for the others. Since I am driving to Colorado for Thanksgiving I may try and make something for the brother and sister in law if I get on the stick here. They need absolutely nothing.

We share wish lists. My daughter includes gift cards and beads for her hobby and craft kits.

Our limit is supposed to be dollars a person and I hold to it. I will also bake some sugar cookies and take them to Denver perhaps
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

We have a savings account that we pay into all year to fund Christmas. Our family gives gifts to charity and DH selects an Angel Child from work to buy for. We also give gift cards and whatever clothing DS needs to him for Christmas. I know DS needs shoes but he hates to shop, so he will probably get a cash gift earmarked only for shoes.

DH and I really look forward to the Angel Child. Last year he chose a baby boy and we had so much fun buying outfits and little toys.
Mackie