we are getting solar !!!

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Sandy

Re: we are getting solar !!!

Post by Sandy »

icfrugal2 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:42 pm I've signed the contract, so there is no going back.

I do know that no one here will say anything negative to me :D Thank you my friends :P

So, it's 19 panels.

$28,000 cash.

DH and I will be taking money out of our ROTH IRA's and some of money of mine.

Hopefully this way I won't go crazy in the summers when we run the A/C at 70 (BBBRRR) but dh isn't able to control his body temp.

It will take several months, but should be working in Jan 2023.

There is a tax rebate of about $9,000, but we really don't pay taxes, our income is low, so even after 5 years, I'm not sure that we will see the $9,000.

as is said, we will see.

IC
We investigated solar. Sounded great. Talked to the salesman and he pushed the tax rebate like a Catapillar dozer. Came time to talk bucks and the small package of panels (yes...SMALL) was $50,000. Large package was $75,000. All that and we'd still be drawing from our power company (and paying a monthly bill). But we're in Oklahoma and I think of the experience as just another form of price gouging and taking advantage of the wave of fear caused by the prediction of higher energy prices this winter.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Sandy wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:48 pm We investigated solar. Sounded great. Talked to the salesman and he pushed the tax rebate like a Catapillar dozer. Came time to talk bucks and the small package of panels (yes...SMALL) was $50,000. Large package was $75,000. All that and we'd still be drawing from our power company (and paying a monthly bill). But we're in Oklahoma and I think of the experience as just another form of price gouging and taking advantage of the wave of fear caused by the prediction of higher energy prices this winter.
Every time I see an ad, I read the details and I end up fuming... You know they're NEVER going to make any alternative to oil and gas a good deal for an Oklahoma consumer.
icfrugal2

Post by icfrugal2 »

Well, wish me luck,

solar is being installed on Monday, I almost didn't answer the phone, it said spam.

I did get an e-mail to confirm everything.

They will ACH $21,000 on Monday.

I'm going to "borrow from peter to pay Paul" I was told that our installation date was Dec 23, 2022.

But it's just jiggling the money around a bit.

We are very excited.

After that our utility has to come and inspect and turn the solar on, I've heard that it takes months.

Our first quote, from another company, was $47,000 or $266 a month for 25 years, going up 3.5% a year.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

IC
icfrugal2

Post by icfrugal2 »

they started the installation yesterday, finishing it up today.

excited

IC
icfrugal2

Post by icfrugal2 »

So the solar is installed, but not on yet, I knew that it would take a while.

Needs the city inspection.

In the meantime, it rained a lot last week, and I found water in the living room, one of the skylights is leaking, somehow it was "jiggled" during their time on the roof.

I have a call into my roofer.

No, I can't hold the solar people for it, I signed papers.

Fixable, all that I ask.

IC
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

SandiSAHM wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:04 am Every time I see an ad, I read the details and I end up fuming... You know they're NEVER going to make any alternative to oil and gas a good deal for an Oklahoma consumer.
Like decent public transportation here in the Great Lakes region aside from Chicago. A rail system linking the big cities, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Toledo... Would be wonderful in my opinion.