Frugal Home Remedies That Work For You

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Frugal Home Remedies That Work For You

Post by HappyDaze »

I thought there was a thread about home remedies here someplace - I cannot find it. What home remedies do you use for various illness and or injuries that have been helpful? (Disclaimer - keep in mind none of this is medical advice or intended to replace medical care, etc. etc.).

For me since having this respiratory illness, a good steam under a towel over a bowl of boiling water has provided some help with breaking up chest congestion. Also cups of tea - as hot as I can stand it - with honey and lemon have helped (although I equate the taste to what I think possum urine might taste like).

I think drinking Gatorade helps me too - I get the big canisters of the powdered kind so relatively frugal. And you can't beat water when you have to keep the fluid intake up. Also - rest/naps are free.

What else you got?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
jgomez1002

Re: Frugal Home Remedies That Work For You

Post by jgomez1002 »

My Gram always made us Ginger tee with honey when we were congested. The Ginger just clears me out and makes it easier to breath. I still make it sometimes... It just makes me feel loved when I'm feeling miserable.

Regards,
JGomez
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Chewing a couple of sticks of peppermint gum helps heartburn for me.

I am a big fan of OTC meds, but there's a lot of throat-soothing/head-unclogging in a mug of tomato soup with some garlic and Italian seasoning added.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Some hot lemon juice with honey helps me clear up the sinuses.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Try the Pedialyte. It comes in powdered form also. I thought it was better than Gatorade
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

jgomez1002 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:19 pm My Gram always made us Ginger tee with honey when we were congested. The Ginger just clears me out and makes it easier to breath. I still make it sometimes... It just makes me feel loved when I'm feeling miserable.

Regards,
JGomez
Adding ginger tea to my grocery list - that sounds so good. I love the smell of ginger too.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz